Hey guys and gals of GG+A (thats a lot of G's)

I'm looking into upgrading from my Vox VT15 and joining the tube amp revolution that appears to encompass most of us.

Basically I'm looking for a head and cab (combo is also good) for around $1000-1200 Australian (big emphasis on this - as most of you will be aware, prices here are extortionate)

Anyway, I need a nice clean, with some decent "sparkle", that will take pedals well, and also I need a good chunky overdrive (There is a model on my VT15 called "Boutique OD", thats what I'm looking for tonewise).

I don't need br00tz from the amp itself because I will be acquiring a TS9 soon, and I don't play metal anyway.

Preferably I'd be gigging with this and using it for home practice so something of around 15 watts would be ideal.

Amps I've considered so far are:

Vox Night Train and matching cab
Peavey Windsor Studio Combo
Peavey Valveking 112
Marshall Haze 40C
Ashton Bluetongue 50 /flameshield
Epiphone Valve Senior

I'd need cab suggestions for most of these too.

Now, a note to AcousticMirror, and I'm really sorry about this, but I really don't like the JCA20. I don't like how they look, and, yeah i know tone is way more important, but I'd rather buy an amp I'm happy with as an overall product (looks included).

If anyone has any other suggestions as to amps I should try out (these are all amps I have heard demos of and can play in stores nearby) then please suggest them, and also cabs for these.

So I put it to you to recommend me an amp from this list, and any others that spring to mind (I prefer to buy new by the way)

tl;dr Need a new tube amp, head/cab or combo, good cleans, takes pedals well, decent chunky overdrive, budget of $1200 Australian MAX, would prefer as new.

Used Marshall DSL401 combo. I got mine for $705

Or get a used DSL 50 or DSL 100 head.

Honestly, in Aus the most affordable main brand tube amps are Marshalls...

Stay away from the Haze though, I hear bad things about them
[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Better than my plan, look at those perfect little dick suckin' lips!
Kid's a natural I tell yah!Orange Rockerverb 50 MKII
Marshall JCM 900 SL-X
Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded
Fender Mexican Standard Telecaster
Hey I built a guitar
Last edited by Steve Holt at Aug 9, 2010,
Might wanna look at the Bugera V series, as well. I hear Bugeras are especially good value in Australia because of Behringer's awesome distribution network or something.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
I'm not exactly sure how much a used Vox AC15cc goes for, but you might want to look into one of those.
Albums I Must Obtain
Call me Paul. I prefer that.
Quote by fretsonfire74
I think you're my soulmate
you can get the new AC30's for close to $1300aud new. sure they are chinese but still a nice amp. my vote goes for the tweaker tho.
Last edited by rgoring at Aug 9, 2010,
Quote by Dan_5893
Now, a note to AcousticMirror, and I'm really sorry about this, but I really don't like the JCA20. I don't like how they look, and, yeah i know tone is way more important, but I'd rather buy an amp I'm happy with as an overall product (looks included).

They have replacement grilles now ($10-15 a piece) that make them look much more attractive.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
you only said AM couldnt say JCA20....
what aMatrixClaw said is true.

But for serious, i liked the night train when i tried it out
Gibson RawPower SG 2009 (Zales)
Gibson Hummingbird 70's? (Amy)
Jet City JCA 20 Watt Combo
Dunlop Crybaby wah
MXR 10 Band EQ
Ibanez TS-9
Jetty Betty's are fine the way they are

Don' t pressure them to change the way they look just so they'll look like your image of the perfect girl
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
Quote by crohno
egnater tweaker

+1.

The Night Train is a cool amp, but it's very limited. The Tweaker will get you most of the tones that a NT can, and it can also get you Fender and Marshall tones.

And it's only $399
Fender American Vintage '62 Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Custom
TC Electronic Polytune
Danelectro Blue Paisley
EHX Big Muff Pi w/ Tone Wicker
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
Egnater Tweaker

Quote by Jackal58
Yer pretty fly for a Canadian.
Vox AC15/30(get a 2nd hand one, if possible), Night Train.
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Blues Jnr
Orange Amps. Rocker 30, Tiny Terror and etc.
Marshall DSL401
Blackstar Ht5, Ht20, Ht40 and Ht60(if you haggle a bit).

Those are some other amps that are in your price range.
Ibanez Rg570EX
-Nailbomb & Liquifire
ENGL screamer 50
Dynacomp-TS9/808-OCD-Phase 90-Small Clone.
The Tweaker is looking good actually, finding somewhere in Perth to try one is the next thing. The AC30 is outside my price range and will be too loud to play at home as well. AC15 is sounding very enticing though.

Any thoughts on the Windsor Studio?

Oh and any ideas for cabs to go with the Tweaker or Night Train?
Hey Dan, found this new Tweaker head for $699. http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Egnater-Tweaker-15w-Valve-Head-NEW-/160448887109?cmd=ViewItem&pt=AU_Amplifiers&hash=item255b7fb945#ht_3228wt_934

The Night Train is also very nice, but doesn't have a ton of headroom from what I recall.

EDIT:

Although, come on man, don't kick an awesome amp out the door just because of the way it looks. If it pisses you off that bad, tape pictures of Bellamy all over it.
Last edited by NakedInTheRain at Aug 10, 2010,
Couldn't you just use some black vinyl dye or something?
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
I'm going to go play the JCA20 next time I get chance to, and when I'm closer to my monetary target. After looking at the website and finding that you can get some nicer baffles as MC suggested, I'm tempted. I will have a go with it and see which one I prefer from that and the NT. List is now as follows:

Night Train
JCA20
Egnater Tweaker

I need a cab for each of these then. I will probably get the NT cab with the NT, but can you guys recommend me a good cab to go with the tweaker and jet city?

Cheers
kosmic has a blackstar htv 212 for 469 with free shipping.
Ibanez Rg570EX
-Nailbomb & Liquifire
ENGL screamer 50
Dynacomp-TS9/808-OCD-Phase 90-Small Clone.
Quote by Dan_5893
I'm going to go play the JCA20 next time I get chance to, and when I'm closer to my monetary target. After looking at the website and finding that you can get some nicer baffles as MC suggested, I'm tempted. I will have a go with it and see which one I prefer from that and the NT. List is now as follows:

Night Train
JCA20
Egnater Tweaker

I need a cab for each of these then. I will probably get the NT cab with the NT, but can you guys recommend me a good cab to go with the tweaker and jet city?

Cheers

My vote goes to the Tweaker. I believe that its the only one out of those 3 that has an FX loop as well.
Quote by rmr024
Well, in California, people carry around devices that control the minds of bears. So expect to see people walking their bears.

Also, don't be surprised if some robot hookers try to solicit sex to you on the streets.
Quote by SLonergan
My vote goes to the Tweaker. I believe that its the only one out of those 3 that has an FX loop as well.

Actually, that's a good point that I thought about before but forgot to mention. One thing that shits me about a lot of little cute amps is that few of them have effects loops.
Dan, i'm not sure where in perth you are, but i'm in rockingham, and i have both a tweaker and a jca20h. bring a few beers and your welcome to come try them both.
my jca20h is for sale actually.
Last edited by rgoring at Aug 10, 2010,
Just an idea here because I saw the Epi Valve Senior on the original list, I have an Epi Blues Custom 30 which has pretty nice cleans after switching out the stock sovtek's. I use an MI Audio Crunch Box and a Boost n Buff in place of the OD channel and they sound great. Under a grand for them all at the price I bought them at, and the BC30's OD channel is plenty usable for hard rock and blues. It's switchable between 15 and 30w too, which is handy for extra headroom.

Something to think about if you want a slightly cheaper option, I got my amp new from Gallins for about $800 a couple of years ago and the pedals were under $300 for both at Billy Hydes. I don't know if I'd necessarily recommend it as a competitor against those above because I haven't tried any except the Night Train, but I thought I'd chip in with my opinion.

Also, as well as the Tubescreamer for an OD, have a look at the MI Audio Blues Pro. It's a great OD, made in Aus by a dude in Sydney and it's only about $160.
Quote by NakedInTheRain
Actually, that's a good point that I thought about before but forgot to mention. One thing that shits me about a lot of little cute amps is that few of them have effects loops.

If you even think you might need an effects loop, its a good idea to get one. The JCA20 is nice, but without the FX loop I think it loses a lot of versatility.

The Tweaker sounds AMAZING, has a wide variety of tones, and it has an effects loop. If you have a boost in your chain, then the Tweaker becomes the definition of versatility in my book.
Quote by rmr024
Well, in California, people carry around devices that control the minds of bears. So expect to see people walking their bears.

Also, don't be surprised if some robot hookers try to solicit sex to you on the streets.
@rgoring - I would...next year still not 18 yet bro, and Rockingham is a trek from Joondalup where I live. Sorry man haha, I'll check em out at Joondalup Music.

The effects loop isn't vital to me, since most of my effects I like to run before the amp (Wah, Fuzz Factory). I'll be acquiring delay soon aswell, but not having an effects loop for that doesn't phase me too much.

I have seen MI pedals before but didn't realise they were Australian made. I'll have to look in to them a bit.

Does anyone know if the Jet City website ships direct to Australia? And also, on the JCA20h, is the "master volume" actually a master volume or just a normal channel volume? This would be incredibly useful for me at home if it were a master.

I've read somewhere that it is best to use cabs that have a matching or less power rating than the head they are being used by otherwise the head can be fried. Is this true? If it's not then I might build my own cab as opposed to buying one. (we have a lot of old plywood cabinets from our old kitchen lying around, I can recycle the wood there).

Thanks for all the responses guys. I'm not knocking the VS out either, I'm just going to try to find somewhere to try it first before making a decision.

If you want to use your amp's distortion, you won't be able to use a delay desirably, as the preamp distortion will distort and fuck up the repeats. And stuff like phase, flanger, reverb, and other modulation effects as well. Keep that in mind.
I might see if my local music store will import a JCA20 with metal grill and effects loop for me, which will be about 1k australian i hope. For a cab ill try picking up my friends old one, he's just bought a bogner 2x12 and i think he had a marshall cab of some description
i'm not tring to push a sale here, but i will mention once more, i'm currently selling my JCA20H, cheaper than you will find anywhere else. you could probly get a local tech to put in an FX loop and get a metal grille for a little more than half of what you had planned.
Quote by NakedInTheRain
If you want to use your amp's distortion, you won't be able to use a delay desirably, as the preamp distortion will distort and fuck up the repeats. And stuff like phase, flanger, reverb, and other modulation effects as well. Keep that in mind.

Bull. some of the best modulated tones are when you run them through the front. EVH, Randy Rhoads or Frank Marino never used a loop.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Last edited by Jhachey22 at Aug 11, 2010,
Quote by Jhachey22
Bull. some of the best modulated tones are when you run them through the front. EVH, Randy Rhoads or Frank Marino never used a loop.

Touche. I guess I was trying to emphasise the effects loop for delay, and then got onto modulation. But yeah, unless you want in your face anti-subtle delay when using your amp's distortion, you need an effects loop.
Quote by NakedInTheRain
Touche. I guess I was trying to emphasise the effects loop for delay, and then got onto modulation. But yeah, unless you want in your face anti-subtle delay when using your amp's distortion, you need an effects loop.

... or you could just turn down the level ont eh delay to compensate.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
@rgoring, I will investigate into local techs, but it may be a while before I have the money anyway (I have leavers and other things to pay for, but it shouldnt be too far off), but if its still available when I have the ca$h, then I'll hit you up
I'm really liking the JCA20h now, dammit you've converted me :P But I will also try out the tweaker when I next get time off to go into the city (6 more weeks of school ).

A few questions pertaining the JCA20: Does it have a master volume? Do the Jet City website ship direct to Australia and would it make a huge price difference buying and shipping myself or going through a store?

Cheers guys