Page 1 of 2
Hey Everyone,

I'm looking to buy a new guitar. I've been playing a squier strat for a few years and I want to upgrade. My main type of music is punk like The sex Pistols, The Ramones, The Misfits, Nirvana.

Does anyone have have any ideas on what guitar would suit this style of music. I was thinking about an epiphone les paul or squier jagmaster.

I like my squier strat except the pickups are single coil and I find the sound to be too thin especially on the bridge pickup.

So what do you guys think, Thank you for reading this. Any advice would be much appreciated!!
What sounds you can achieve depends largely on your amp. Punk players have used a wide range of guitars - basically, anything goes, unless you have a specific tone in mind. The easiest route are humbuckers or P90 pups, usually.

But first, what amp are you using?
If it is a good one, you can get a great rock tone from your bridge pup, even when using single coils.

If your Squier plays well, I'd keep it and invest in a new amp and possibly a new pup, though the latter might not even be necessary.
If you want that thicker sound go for the Les Paul style. Or you could even just get new pickups. Just try different stuff out, I have an Ibanez srz 520, you've probably never heard of it but it sounds just as good as a les paul but its a lot lighter (les pauls are really heavy if you're used to a strat), and it was cheaper.
Thanks for the reply man.

I own a marshall 250 dfx 100watt, pretty good but I feel as if my guitar is letting me down a bit.

I was considering buying a new a bridge pickup for my squier, preferably a humbucker to get a thicker sound and to get rid of the hum!!, But I dont know what type to get maybe a seymour duncan, I'm not great when it comes to pickups and there is so many diffferent types out there,

Oh yeah I own a ds-1 pedal as well, which I use instead of the amps distortion
Well Kurt used Strats and Mustangs with single-coil pickups, jus sayin

I'm guessing you knew he also used a DS-1. Everyone's gonna tell you to get a new amp though. Just so you know haha.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
I'm pretty sure Cobain had a humbucker placed in the bridge of all his guitars, you can even see it in videos and photos, and anyway his sound is to thick for it to be a single coil

If you want that thicker sound go for the Les Paul style. Or you could even just get new pickups. Just try different stuff out, I have an Ibanez srz 520, you've probably never heard of it but it sounds just as good as a les paul but its a lot lighter (les pauls are really heavy if you're used to a strat), and it was cheaper.

I'm not too sure about IBANEZ, aren't they moreso built for metal, I'm not really into that type of music
Quote by joeyramone1991
Thanks for the reply man.

I own a marshall 250 dfx 100watt, pretty good but I feel as if my guitar is letting me down a bit.

I was considering buying a new a bridge pickup for my squier, preferably a humbucker to get a thicker sound and to get rid of the hum!!, But I dont know what type to get maybe a seymour duncan, I'm not great when it comes to pickups and there is so many diffferent types out there,

Oh yeah I own a ds-1 pedal as well, which I use instead of the amps distortion

I hate to break it to you, but your problem is your amp. The MG series is Marshall's beginner range of amplifiers and they have the reputation of being oversized practice amps.
Your pedal won't help much either. The DS1 sounds good with some amps, generally high quality tube amps, but your 250 isn't a good foundation to build your tone using pedals. Generally I discourage people from buying DS1s.

Now, the good news is that even though your amp may not be great, it reacts well to different pups. It will never sound really good, but getting rid of the hum and making the tone a bit thicker is no problem. Personally, I like the Duncan Cool Rails, used it myself for some time. On a budget, GFS and Irongear offer a range of single-coil sized humbuckers which are affordable and have a very good reputation.

You can also look under your pickguard to see if your guitar is routed for a humbucker in the bridge (many Squiers are), so you may be able to use a full-sized humbucker, too.

Sooo... if you don't have much money to spend, a pup will get you a bit of improvement. At the very least, you won't have to worry about hum anymore. But ultimately, you will need to replace your amp to get a good tone.
Quote by joeyramone1991

I'm not too sure about IBANEZ, aren't they moreso built for metal, I'm not really into that type of music

Guitars don't determine your tone much. I've used super-strats for jazz and blues, it's all possible with the right amp.
Thanks a million for the reply quailman!!, I never knew the mg series is aimed at beginners but I'm no pro musician so It will be along time before I can get my hands on a tube amp (that would be a dream though)

Thanks for the advice, I'll consider them pickups you mentioned, I need a thicker sound and I hope a humbucker will do the job,

But I'm really considering buying a new guitar, one with humbucker maybe a epiphone les paul, depends on the money I have.

What would you recommend as a good decent amp for rock and punk?, these are the two styles I enjoy the most
For an authentic punk style, use whatever the hell you want. Most players in those days used whatever came to hand, but if you're looking for a specific sound from someone else, a Les Paul or SG will do you well.

Also, Gibson have a cheaper option with the LP junior, which is pretty much made for punk.
Depends a lot on where you are located and whether you use the amp at home or with a band.

I wouldn't go for an Epi. They are nice enough guitars for sure, but they have bad stock pickups and for some reason do not get along with MGs at all. I've tried Epi LPs with MGs several times and the results were dreadful. Strange enough, neither the guitar nor the amp sounded nearly as terrible in combination with other guitars and amps, respectively.

I'd really rather discourage you from buying a new guitar unless there is something wrong with your old one besides the pickups. If it plays well, it's a keeper. I'm usually suprised how nice Squiers are for the little money they cost.

I know, we all want new guitars... but your increase in sound quality will be minimal in this case.

Considering amps, if you can scratch together around $300/300€, suitable tube amps are available. Below that mark, modellers might be interesting.

But first: Where do you live and does the amp need to be loud enough for band use?
If I was only gonna play punk, I'd get a gretsch semi hollow for sure.

I think my schecter banshee would do well with punk though.
I'm from Ireland, and unforunately there isn't any great music shops around my area.

Well I'm not in a band I just play in my room, but I'm thinking strongly and would love to start a band with some other guys who would be interested.
Since you're from the UK, a Laney combo would be easy to find and relatively cheap. Look into the LC15 and VC15, both are loud enough for band use, but still sound nice at bedroom volumes. They have enough distortion for most things rock and punk. The VC15 is a two-channel amp with a rather warm tone, the LC15 has only one channel and is a bit brighter and more agressive. Both would do what you want, though I personally prefer the VC15 (even though I've owned the LC15 and must say that it cuts through the band-mix like a mutherfukker).
Quote by joeyramone1991
I'm from Ireland, and unforunately there isn't any great music shops around my area.

Well I'm not in a band I just play in my room, but I'm thinking strongly and would love to start a band with some other guys who would be interested.

lol sorry you play in your room with a 100W amp your neighbors must love you if your house to attached to theres in anyway
if you like your squire you could always look into a SSH MIM Strat
its a step up from your current guitar and will give you the humbucker for a thicker sound and it will feel familiar
Fender American Special Telecaster
Blackstar HT-5
Wren and Cuff Tall Font Russian
BBE Sonic Stomp
Mojo Hand FX Recoil Delay
Empress ParaEQ
If you really want to replace your guitar, then I'd reccomend something with at least humbucker in the bridge pos. Any solid body will do, as the hollows and semi-hollows tend to squeal when you use a lot of volume and a lot of gain. Check the link for a really good and affordable designed for punk rock line of guitars.

http://www.sparrowguitars.com/home/streetlight

Good tube amps are available for reasonable money, and there's a lot to choose from. You don't need anything bigger than a 30 - 50 watt tube amp, or you could go with one of the 3 - 5 watt class A tube amps, they really put out the volume for usually a decent price.

Check out all the major manufacturers like Peavy, Vox, Traynor, Crate/Blackheart, Laney, etc....
Petey D

Ankle Burner & World Class Sauce Jockey

Sparrow Big Daddy Ace

Sparrow Ratrod Boss

Johnson JT50 Mirage
+1 to the Laney VC15/LC15.

Also check out a Laney cub 12r.

What Squier strat do u have? Affinity? Standard?
If u are getting an Epiphone, at least get the Standard. Dont bother with the Specials and the cheap ones. They're basically another beginner's guitar and woulds be much of an upgrade from the Squier.
But yeah If u like the feel of ur guitar and only dislike the thin bridge pickup sound, change pickups. Then get a new amp.Tube amps aren't that expensive u know.

Check those out
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/75486
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/86321

For pickups
http://www.irongear.co.uk/irongear_019.htm
Or a Seymour duncan cool rails
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
[Since you're from the UK, a Laney combo would be easy to find and relatively cheap. Look into the LC15 and VC15, both are loud enough for band use, but still sound nice at bedroom volumes. They have enough distortion for most things rock and punk. The VC15 is a two-channel amp with a rather warm tone, the LC15 has only one channel and is a bit brighter and more agressive. Both would do what you want, though I personally prefer the VC15 (even though I've owned the LC15 and must say that it cuts through the band-mix like a mutherfukker).]

Thanks man, I've been reading some reviews on those amps and they seem to be pretty good for the price, but I dont think I'll part with my 250dfx because of its power and I've only had it a month. In the future though I'll be a lot more cautious when buying an amp,

[lol sorry you play in your room with a 100W amp your neighbors must love you if your house to attached to theres in anyway]

Lucikly I live in the country, so I dont have neighbours banging on the wall telling me to shut up, I keep the volume at 2 but if I turned it up higher I bet the folks across the road would be ringing the police!!

[What Squier strat do u have? Affinity? Standard?]
I think its just a standard, it has squier strat written on the head??

Do you guys have any advice on a good humbucker for punk rock/alt rock??

I thinking of looking at a les paul junior, does anyone have any opinions on this guitar??

Thanks everyone for the feedback, its helped a lot!!
If it just has "Strat" on the head I think that means it's an Affinity. If you get something like this or a Seymour Duncan Little '59 you won't have to get a new pickguard. Might be helpful.
Epiphone Dot
Vox AC30VR 212
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
Get either the seymour duncan littlt 59' or the Irongear pickup. They're both single-coil sized humbucker so it will fit into ur strat.

Are u talking about this Les Paul Junior?
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Les-Paul-Junior-Electric-Guitar-and-All-Access-Amp-Pack?sku=513158

Dont get it. It's a beginner guitar and wont be an upgrade from ur squier. What is ur budget for a guitar?
Guitars
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
You can get a nice punk tone for not to much money.

You can for example buy an Epiphone junior amp and use a Marshall Guv'nor pedal to get your distortion from. That will cost you about 170 € max.
And as the others suggested you can also change the bridge p'up for more fat tones.
Gear:
----------------------
Jack and Danny Brothers Ls-5
Ibanez Gsa 60
----------------------
Zoom g9.2tt (for sale (NL))
----------------------
Blackheart Little Giant
Quote by joeyramone1991
would it suit punk rock like the ramones, pistols?? etc

would what suit punk rock? The pickups or the Epi Les paul junior?
Guitars
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
the pickups but would the LP junior also suit punk rock

As regard a budget, let me see....400 euro maybe I could push it as far as 450
Don't get the Special. If you want an Epi, get at least a Standard. Anything below that are just beginner guitars, not an upgrade from your Squier at all, more likely a downgrade. Epiphones are interesting from the Standard and up. Avoid the Epi Custom as well, it's just a prettier looking Standard with an unreasonable price increase.

As to whether a Special is suited for punk rock... the Special isn't even suited for playing imo, they're just bad guitars. Avoid at all costs.

The pickups that have been suggested so far look good for what you want to do.

As for amp power, don't worry about it. Tube amps are very very loud, compared to (most) solid state amps. You don't need to replace your amp now, of course. I'm just saying that it'll be a good thing to do in the future, as it will give you the most drastic improvement considering tone.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Aug 9, 2010,
Quote by TheQuailman

As for amp power, don't worry about it. Tube amps are very very loud, compared to (most) solid state amps.
The added bonus of a lower-power valve amp is they break up quicker. If you have a 100w valve amp, you've got to crank it to very loud volume levels before it sounds its best. With a 5w valve amp you've only got to go to normal practise volumes before you get the best tones from it.

For punk rock I'd say go for a pickup swap and a new amp. A single-sized humbucker (Seymour Duncan Hot Rails or Cool Rails if you have the money to blow; IronGear Jailhouse Rail for a cheaper and almost-as-good option; Axesrus Chrome Blades or Totally Tappable rail pickups {HERE} for the cheapest "it'll do for now" option) will give you a thicker and hum-free tone. A simple valve amp, 5-10w will give you a natural and raw base to work with (there are too many models to list here; but look at Epiphone, Blackstar, some of the Marshalls like the Class5, etc). Your DS-1 will be good enough as a boost pedal (increase the level control, use only a little gain and keep the tone control rolled back a little). That right there is the most straight-forward typical punk tone; a basic guitar, a bit of a boost from a pedal and a basic amp being driven hard.

Quote by joeyramone1991
what about p-90 pickups??

These give you a slightly warmer and fatter tone than Fender-style single coil pickups, but they still are single coils; they're brighter than humbuckers, they hum, they lack power. Good for punk once you've got a really powerful amp and if you can live with the hum, but otherwise I wouldn't advise them.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Last edited by MrFlibble at Aug 9, 2010,
Quote by joeyramone1991

No.
And metal and punk have similar tones anyways, a guitar that's good for metal is going to do punk quite well too.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
the pickups would suit punk rock in ur strat

dont ge tthe Epi les paul special. With 400 euros, u can get a Standard.
http://www.dv247.com/guitars/epiphone-les-paul-standard-electric-guitar-ebony--37122

This is also a nice guitar
http://www.dv247.com/guitars/vintage-v100-icon-electric-guitar-distressed-tobacco-sunburst--46436
Guitars
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
P90s work well for punk/rock. They do hum though, because they are technically single coils. Awesome pups for crunch though. Epi makes a model with P90s:

http://www.gak.co.uk/en/epiphone-les-paul-1956-goldtop-les-paul/1974

It's been some time since I last played one of these, but if I recall correctly, the stock P90s were actually pretty nice.

Otherwise, this is the Standard:

http://www.gak.co.uk/en/epiphone-les-paul-standard/1979

It's a solid guitar, but like I said, the stuck humbuckers are crap. For the price you can't complain though. When in doubt, take this one, the humbuckers can be swapped for humbucker-sized P90s if you should wish to do so later.

Looking through the current Epi line-up, these seem like the only interesting options. Everything else is either out or your price range, crap or too dear in comparison to these two.
Btw, when shopping for an Epi, don't order online. Go to a store and try a few guitars and buy the one that you like best. Do not try a guitar and then buy the same model from the back room, get the exact same guitar you tried! Differences in quality from one guitar to the next, even with ones that are supposed to be identical, can be drastic.

EDIT: +1 to the V100. Nice guitars, at least most of them. Quality is a bit inconsistent, sadly.
Quote by MrFlibble
The added bonus of a lower-power valve amp is they break up quicker. If you have a 100w valve amp, you've got to crank it to very loud volume levels before it sounds its best. With a 5w valve amp you've only got to go to normal practise volumes before you get the best tones from it.

I only said these amps were nice for band and home use for his style of music. What seems to be the problem? It's not like I'm making this up. I have used both of them and even owned one for some time.

Btw, an amp might sound best once you get the power section cooking, but that does not mean a big amp won't sound good at low-levels. My 50w Laney and old 50w Kitty Hawk both sound better than the LC15, Little Giant and VJ that I owned.

... to be honest, I'm not quite sure whether you said I was wrong or right or what.

Quote by MrFlibble

These give you a slightly warmer and fatter tone than Fender-style single coil pickups, but they still are single coils; they're brighter than humbuckers, they hum, they lack power. Good for punk once you've got a really powerful amp and if you can live with the hum, but otherwise I wouldn't advise them.

'Slightly' is quite an understatement, depending on what model we're talking about. Most modern production P90s are pretty hot and have a fat, rather agressive tone.
Quote by STABxYOU
No.
And metal and punk have similar tones anyways, a guitar that's good for metal is going to do punk quite well too.

The typical metal guitar philosophy is feature-oriented, while the typical punk guitar philosophy is simplicity-oriented. And metal and punk tones are nothing alike at all. What kind of punk are you listening to?
Epiphone Dot
Vox AC30VR 212
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
Go with something versitile... You likely want to play different music are you get better and you'll want a guitar with adaptive tone
Quote by MortifiedLizard
The typical metal guitar philosophy is feature-oriented, while the typical punk guitar philosophy is simplicity-oriented. And metal and punk tones are nothing alike at all. What kind of punk are you listening to?

The Ramones, The Sex Pistols, The Clash, The Misfits and Nirvana mostly
Quote by MortifiedLizard

Bollocks, you're overstating the importance of the guitar for punk tones. Punk bands have used pretty much any type of guitar and any type of amp, from completely clean tones played with single coils to high-gain rigs that would've worked for a thrash metal band just as well.

Most punk bands fall somewhere in-between these two extremes and present a "whatever gear is available and works" kind of attitude.

Usually, a mid to high gain amp with a humbucker/P90-equipped guitar will cover most of the spectrum.

You don't need a simple guitar for punk, that is just ridiculous. A crazy super-strat with god knows how many knobs and switches works just as fine as an LP Junior.
Quote by TheQuailman

... to be honest, I'm not quite sure whether you said I was wrong or right or what.
I was mostly agreeing with you, I just wanted to mention the added benefits of lower-power amps as far as styles like punk go which usually rely on a fully cranked amp. I'd agree that generally you can get much more powerful amps that sound good without having to crank them, but I'd save that for other genres. Punk tones have always been about a valve amp at breaking point, and it's easier to get that with lower-powered amps than high-power ones.

'Slightly' is quite an understatement, depending on what model we're talking about. Most modern production P90s are pretty hot and have a fat, rather aggressive tone.
All I'll say to this one is just that it's not the case in my experience. Your mileage may vary, or whatever.

Quote by TheQuailman
Epi makes a model with P90s:

http://www.gak.co.uk/en/epiphone-les-paul-1956-goldtop-les-paul/1974

It's been some time since I last played one of these, but if I recall correctly, the stock P90s were actually pretty nice.
They are some of the best stock P-90s in any price range, to my ears. There's quite a few videos on YouTube of people comparing them to Seymour Duncan, DiMarzio, Gibson, Bare Knuckle and so on P-90s and it seems virtually everyone prefers the Epi P-90s, at least once you weigh in the price of the others. I personally wouldn't pick them over a decent aftermarket pickup, but I'm certainly happy with them as stock pickups. The only Epiphones I've ever tried where I felt the stock pickups would do were the '56 LP and the Joe Perry and Tony Iommi models which both have Gibson pickups.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Last edited by MrFlibble at Aug 9, 2010,
Quote by MrFlibble

They are some of the best stock P-90s in any price range, to my ears. There's quite a few videos on YouTube of people comparing them to Seymour Duncan, DiMarzio, Gibson, Bare Knuckle and so on P-90s and it seems virtually everyone prefers the Epi P-90s, at least once you weigh in the price of the others. I personally wouldn't pick them over a decent aftermarket pickup, but I'm certainly happy with them as stock pickups. The only Epiphones I've ever tried where I felt the stock pickups would do were the '56 LP and the Joe Perry and Tony Iommi models which both have Gibson pickups.

I've had the same experience. The Joe Perry model's one of my favourites, a shame it is so hard to find. Not to mention Epiphone went down the shitter for a while after moving production to China.
There was a line of guitars which was made still in Korea that was promoted as "Gibson Spec" models. MIA pups and better hardware compared to other models. The exact pup model I don't know, but it's far removed from the garbage they put in their Standard LPs.
My Joe Perry Epi is still my most prized possession. It says a lot about the quality of the old MIK Epis, and especially the Joe Perry model, that in the five years+ that I've owned it I have never had to have any work done on it and nothing has ever needed to be replaced. It's built like a tank, sounds great, feels great and if it had cost three times what it did I would still feel like every penny was justified. I've never picked up a guitar under two grand that can compare to it. I genuinely feel blessed that it was my first guitar and I think if it wasn't then I probably wouldn't love guitar anywhere near as much as I do.

Which brings me on to a relevant idea: OP, consider looking for a second hand Epiphone that has a serial number starting with U, and preferably made in 2004 or earlier. These are the now much sought-after Korean Epiphones. They were made of better quality woods than Epis are now, the general build quality was better and the quality control was certainly much more consistent. You should be able to pick one up fairly cheaply, at least cheaper than a new (and inferior) Epiphone would be. If you could find an old '56 model Epiphone from the MIK days, that would be quite a fantastic instrument for your purposes.
^Word. I considered selling my MIK Goldtop, but it was nearly 600€ new and I'd have to let it go for under 300€. No way I am doing that, but I know others put their old MIKs on ebay from time to time where they go for the same prices as MIC ones.

EDIT: The neck on the Perry LP was nice. Matt lacquer on necks should be more common.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Aug 10, 2010,
Page 1 of 2