I am hoping to get some input from people on here who have been through this before. I am attempting to get a band going, and I am curious about which way to go about it might work best. Right now it is myself on rhythm/lead guitar and a bass player.

Is it realistic to bring in all new members (for a 5 piece) at the same time for a first practice or is it easier to get the guitar parts down first with the bass then add the drummer and singer later. And is it easier to start as a power trio and then add the second guitarist after everything is tight?

We have decided to start with five or so covers we can agree upon and I am leaning toward inviting everyone to show up and see what a great mess we can make. But part of me thinks it would be better to get with the bass palyer first a few times and get our parts down as adding drums and vocals is generally much quicker.

Has anyone thoughts on the matter? Has anyone tried different methods?
Quote by warrencon
I am hoping to get some input from people on here who have been through this before. I am attempting to get a band going, and I am curious about which way to go about it might work best. Right now it is myself on rhythm/lead guitar and a bass player.

Is it realistic to bring in all new members (for a 5 piece) at the same time for a first practice or is it easier to get the guitar parts down first with the bass then add the drummer and singer later. And is it easier to start as a power trio and then add the second guitarist after everything is tight?

We have decided to start with five or so covers we can agree upon and I am leaning toward inviting everyone to show up and see what a great mess we can make. But part of me thinks it would be better to get with the bass palyer first a few times and get our parts down as adding drums and vocals is generally much quicker.

Has anyone thoughts on the matter? Has anyone tried different methods?

Just so happens I recently started a band of my own after quitting my main outfit :P

I just got everyone together, decided upon a list of covers the guitarist and myself would learn, and then we'd just get in a room with the drummer to get those covers down and get used to eachother, and eventually we'll just jam out to write songs together.

It does help I've known both of them for years, though ^^'
Then I shall insert my erect penis into the narrow vaginal cavity of my blood-relative whom I predate by approximately 5 years.
Matters from WHERE you live. IF the area you live around has plenty of musicians, then you can recruit them one by one. If there's very few around, you need to hold onto them.
The problem you get if you start with a few members and then add more once it's all good is that you'll feel like you're moving backwards once the new members join since it'll sound sloppier and they won't know all the songs.

The problem with starting with loads of members is that it can be a total mess.

For me it all depends on which is more convenient. If you can't find anyone at the time then you should just get going until you feel you need someone or until you can find someone but I wouldn't mind starting with all new members from scratch. Basically, once you've got a drummer then you should start jamming but don't stop looking for new members. That's my advice.
Quote by the_white_bunny
your just a simpleton that cant understand strategy apparently.

Quote by the_white_bunny
all hail king of the penis sucking(i said balls. you said dick for some reason?) Isabiggles
i would casualy bring more and more people in cause it really is hard to get things moving when you have 5 people who have never played together to just click right away
work on the chemistry with your bassist and when you guys are really tight together bring in a drummer and do some work with them on some covers and try out a few singers
Fender American Special Telecaster
Blackstar HT-5
Wren and Cuff Tall Font Russian
BBE Sonic Stomp
Mojo Hand FX Recoil Delay
Empress ParaEQ
I band I toured with lost 2nd guitar, bass and drummer all at once (this should have been a warning sign not to get involved). They auditioned 2,3 and 5 guys at a time, which worked out for me, but was kinda a cluster F. The thinking was that we all had the CD and some tabs and a week to learn; if you could show up and just hit it, you weren't going to make it... I lasted for 2 years and a dozen other line up changes

My current band is the first that is my creation. Everyone else I've played with was established and I was either adding something or replacing someone. I was lucky to learn a lot and to make this project successful.

So, this is my suggestion:

Yourself and the other guitar player should get things going. Learn a few covers by your influences (this will help you audition others). If your bass player is A) Good, B) Creative & C) Patient, include him.

Next, try out some drummers. If you can get the music locked down before there's even a singer involved. Try them out with the covers and give them a taste of what you've been writing.

Then bring singers around. Same thing with 2 or 3 covers, give them a shot, then show them what you have going on.
Last edited by HalfDose at Aug 9, 2010,
Thanks for all the input. I think I am going to opt for the last suggestion as this is what I was really telling myself makes sense. Get the guitars and bass together, then add drummer, then add singer. It seems the most organized and I find solace in being organized.

It will probably take care of itself as whoever actually shows up is what I will go with to start.
Yes, it will help you maintain organization!!

Best of luck to you, be sure to post some music in the Promote Your Band section once you get recording