So, has anyone tried this pup?

I found a good deal on one and want to try it. I used a Duncan Cool Rails in the bridge of my strat for some time and liked it, but sold it and now my guitar has a SSS configuration.

I like how my bridge single coil sounds when my amp is turned up a bit, but at low levels it sounds grainy and generally unpleasant, a problem I do not get with my humbucker equipped guitars.

I don't expect the pup to sound like a full-sized HB, I'm just looking for a usable rock tone and more definition at high gain-levels.

The amp I use is a Laney GH50L through a Framus 2x12" (Celestion V30 equipped).

Thanks for any input.
i havent heard a lil 59 in a long time.

i can just tell you that in general i like stacked dimarzios over railed and lil' duncans.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Stacked pups usually try to immitate a single coil sound, which I'm not looking for (I have stacked Fenders right now). I'm looking for teh midz for teh rawk toans.

Can you recommend any models?
well altho rawk tonez is up the 59s alley.

are you stuck on duncan?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
If you want mids, I love the DiMarzio Chopper, although it might be a too much ooomph for your application.
Hi, I'm Peter
I had it in my MIA 'Strat before switching to Lace Golds. It's a good straight forward rock n' roll pickup. Pretty rich harmonically, and it takes well when you push a lot of smooth gain through it, but it really shines with a snarly, Fender silverface kinda american grit.

EDIT: I had it in my bridge position.

DoubleEDIT: Just read your reply. If you want teh midz then I would suggest what I currently have. Lace Sensor Hot Golds with the midboost. They give a really vintage 70's kind of sound very noticably, but I adore it. It's got a ton of midrange, and I've never heard any other single coils with the kind of harmonic ring that these have.

I'm sure if you get a set of the Hot Golds you'll be very happy for what you want to play. They also make your cleans sound really washy, almost as if you had a slapback and reverb (to a point).
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Last edited by rooster456 at Aug 9, 2010,
^I'll check out the Sensors, though they rarely pop up on the used market here... shame! Your description of the '59 does sound what I'd like though. As long as it can do a good rock crunch without getting shrill or muddy I'll be pleased.

Plus, I found a good deal on one, that's why I'm asking mainly.

Quote by Dirk Gently
If you want mids, I love the DiMarzio Chopper, although it might be a too much ooomph for your application.

Eh, if I want low-gain, the mid-pup will do. I mean, I don't mind having a higher-output pup for some contrast. I'll definitely check it out.
Quote by TheQuailman
^I'll check out the Sensors, though they rarely pop up on the used market here... shame! Your description of the '59 does sound what I'd like though. As long as it can do a good rock crunch without getting shrill or muddy I'll be pleased.

Plus, I found a good deal on one, that's why I'm asking mainly.

Eh, if I want low-gain, the mid-pup will do. I mean, I don't mind having a higher-output pup for some contrast. I'll definitely check it out.

If that's your goal, the lil '59 is for you.

Here are a couple vids of Strats with '59s in.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvlpMTpokHg&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJW7fBOIKO4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrJf2MisNis&feature=related
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER