Hi,
I'm changing the strings of my guitar, and I'd like to clean my fretboard. I've heard about using some kind of oil to clean it, what kind would I use?
Just so you know, I clean the fretboard of finger dirt every time I change my strings (once a month).

Thanks in advance!
Gear:
Fender Jazzmaster
Boss DS-2
Digitech RP150 (with Line6 EX-1 Exp pedal)
Orange Crush 30R

My Youtube Page
Read this!You know you really want to...

Lemon oil mostly. Look for a small yellowish bottle at guitar shop. It's not good for ALL kinds of woods though.
It's rosewood (I knew I forgot something )
Gear:
Fender Jazzmaster
Boss DS-2
Orange Crush 30R

My Youtube Page

Quote by poipoi
It's rosewood (I knew I forgot something )

Lemon oil's good with rosewood!
Thanks everybody! I'll have a look for it before the next string change
Gear:
Fender Jazzmaster
Boss DS-2
Orange Crush 30R

My Youtube Page

Lemon oil is what you'd use, usually. I bought Planet Waves Fretboard Conditioner once and I like it, too, it's a cleaner/oil mixture.

Lemon oil isn't really much for cleaning, but a properly oiled fretboard feels and looks so much better than a completely dried out one. Just apply the oil, the wood will soak up a bit of it. Wipe off what's left and you're done (excess oil might come out of the wood shortly after, but not much, just wipe it off).
I used to use a slightly damp cloth and the end of my finger to get the dirt off, then dry it down. Apply one coat of lemon oil and wipe off to remove more dirt, then another coat which is left for a couple of minutes to soak in (just to protect the wood) and wiped off. Apply it sparingly, a little goes a long way and overusage can damage the fretboard. Just dont use it on maple!
I hate to say it, but there's a LOT of bad advice here.

1) AVOID LEMON OIL. There's no clue what may be hiding in there - it could be damn near any petroleum product with a lemon scent added. You're gambling that it's something that won't eat your guitar alive. Usually you'll win that gamble, but sometimes you'll lose.

2) For cleaning, use a damp cloth for both maple and rosewood. You won't need any more than that.

3) For conditioning rosewood boards use "light mineral oil" - it's always the same thing and can be bought in any drug store. Because it's designed for human consumption, they can't just put any old garbage in there. Since it doesn't evaporate once you apply it, it will last damn near forever. Put 2 drops (and I mean that) on a clean cloth and rub the board down. If the cloth dries out, add a couple more drops. But that's it.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

“Life is on the wire…the rest is just waiting” - Papa Wallenda
Substitute the stage for the wire, and he's got it.
I have no suggestions to make! i'm in the same boat, i just 2 weeks ago got a telecaster with a maple neck and don't know how to clean it when i next re-string.

Any suggestions anyone?
Quote by LiveForever-91
I have no suggestions to make! i'm in the same boat, i just 2 weeks ago got a telecaster with a maple neck and don't know how to clean it when i next re-string.

Any suggestions anyone?

Use a damp cloth. Maple fretboard are usually finished, so they're very easy to clean. The problem with maple boards arises when you play enough to wear out the fretboard finish - then they get ugly, but there's not much you can do about it. It's a 'vintage' sort of ugly and adds character
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

“Life is on the wire…the rest is just waiting” - Papa Wallenda
Substitute the stage for the wire, and he's got it.