Hello,

This is just to see people opinions on which guitar would perform better when playing blues? I mean the Gibson SG is about £600 and the Strat is about £850. But what are the major differences?

Thanks.
Gibson SG for £600?!

The Gibson will have a warmer, fuller sound, the Fender will have a thinner twangier sound. They can both do blues well, just pair them with a good amp.
I'd go with the Gibson if your blues is coated British like those old John Mayall tunes or early Cream. If you play more Texas style or cleaner blues then I'd go wth a Strat.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
USA strat is the best blues solid body guitar you can get IMO, followed closely by a les paul
Fender Stratocaster USA Deluxe 2005
MIJ Fender Contemporary Stratocaster '85-'86 HSS System I DiMarzio SD Bridge
Epiphone 2010 Les Paul Tribute
Ibanez AW30ECE Acoustic
Line 6 IV 75w (lol)
Yes, the SG is british... erm, what?

Both will do what you want them to do - which one feels better to you? I personally don't like the shape and weight distribution of the SG - I find that it doesn't quite sit as nicely as my Strat when I stand. But that's just me. And the jack sticks straight out - that's annoying.

Personally, I'd go the strat - but my advice is to pick the one that not only sound better but FEELS better.
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
Quote by guitar nubsauce
USA strat is the best blues solid body guitar you can get IMO, followed closely by a les paul

I'd say the other way IMHO but that's because I love Lesters.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by seemeel
Yes, the SG is british... erm, what?

Both will do what you want them to do - which one feels better to you? I personally don't like the shape and weight distribution of the SG - I find that it doesn't quite sit as nicely as my Strat when I stand. But that's just me. And the jack sticks straight out - that's annoying.

Personally, I'd go the strat - but my advice is to pick the one that not only sound better but FEELS better.

I think he meant that the SG will get you closer to the sound of the "british blues boom" as they call it, from the mid 1960s - peter green/eric clapton type sounds.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
What kind of tone specifically are you trying to achieve? Please list us a few of your favorite blues artists, that will help immensely.
Quote by rooster456
What kind of tone specifically are you trying to achieve? Please list us a few of your favorite blues artists, that will help immensely.

this.

both work great for blues, but what type of blues.

kinda like we are always asking "what genre of metalz?"
Quote by GrittyBlues
Kind of like SRV or but then again John Mayall ain't too bad. Check this out, this sort of tone:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tU8bccPe0GY

the srv you hear there is coming from the amp. it's be a lot closer with good single coils.

if that's a passable srv tone for you, the guitar won't matter. get a nice deluxe reverb, princeton reverb, super, vibro etc. bring up the verb and rawk out.
Quote by gregs1020
the srv you hear there is coming from the amp. it's be a lot closer with good single coils.

if that's a passable srv tone for you, the guitar won't matter. get a nice deluxe reverb, princeton reverb, super, vibro etc. bring up the verb and rawk out.

SRV's secret is the fact that he played REALLY THICK strings with the clean channel of a Fender amp REALLY LOUD. If you have those two things, you have SRV. The guitar won't matter.

Mayall played through Marshalls, I believe. If you're looking for more punch and woody tones, then go with the Stratocaster. If you want some creamy thick tones, then go with the SG.

Be more worried about the wood sounds and neck feels, I would say. Pickups can always come later.
Quote by rooster456
SRV's secret is the fact that he played REALLY THICK strings with the clean channel of a Fender amp REALLY LOUD. If you have those two things, you have SRV. The guitar won't matter.

the "secret" is cesar diaz.
Based on your other thread - neither of them until you have a worthwhile amp, you'd just be watsing your cash.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I perfer Strats for all type of blues

I just dont like SGs.

Both would work fine though
2012 Gibson Les Paul Custom Classic
2001 Schecter C-1 Classic
2007 Yamaha APX500
Vox AC15CC1 w/ Eminence Tonkerlite
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
i have owned both and they have very different necks. This affects how they feel and play. See what works for you.
You are comparing apples and oranges.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
Strat for sound, versatility, and superior design.
Water which is too pure has no fish - Ts'ai Ken T'an
Strats and SG's are best for Blues Rock, but if it was strictly blues, the SG because it's a warmer sounding guitar, but I do like the 3 single coils of the strat, more possibilities, even though strats are brighter, through a dark amp you could get a great blues tone from it.
There's always the '72 Telecaster.
Alder body, 2 humbuckers, ~£600. Always worth looking at as well.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
I'd personally take the start if i had to pick between the two. I just much prefer the way it plays for blues, plus you get that extra bit of versatility from the 3 single coils.

But honestly, id look at this beauty instead
Gretsch g5122

very twangy, hollowbody with awesome pickups. They also do single cutaways, which are less twangy, but i prefer this myself. Whack on some jazz strings and away you go.