Right, a while ago I bought a distortion pedal (boss ds-1), because I wanted a better sound than the OD channel on my mg could provide.
I plan on upgrading to a tube amp, spending about £500-600, and Im trying out the blackstar HT range and the marshall haze range.
Is the OD channel on a modern tube amp better than the clean channel with a pedal infront?

thanks.
Well that depends on the amp, but generally yes, because of the way that each device handles the overdriven signal. non-tube devices use hard clipping (cut the tops of the sine waves) and this sounds 'harsh', while tube amps 'round off' the tops of the peaks, rather than a flat cut, resulting in a much 'warmer' overdriven sound.
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
The drive channel with a TS or a TS clone is the best way to go...
i was in a similar position as yourself, i had a realy cheap solid state amp in which i hated the diistortion channel, and i got a ds-1 to try and have a decent distortion, i then got a blackstar ht-5 and i've never used my ds-1 again, i tried modding it but failed, but there's no need for a distortion pedal, all you will need is a good over drive pedal to boost the signal if you want to play metal
My amp sounds good with both of those applications , it's a Laney GH100l. Your going to need a good eq for your tube amp that's key to copying tone or creating your own tone. There are no rules, except a good tube amp, in my opinion that's the starting point for good tone.
I wouldn't get a Haze...

£500 would get you a bigger Blackstar. You do know tubes are louder?
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
get a nice orange 2nd hand with a good boost in front of it

tasty warm cleans and then enough classy gain for anything at alll.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Emperor's Child
I wouldn't get a Haze...

£500 would get you a bigger Blackstar. You do know tubes are louder?

yeah i agree... i found out the hard way

the OD channel is complete rubbish

i have had to resort to using the clean channel, a barber dirty bomb and an MXR 10 band EQ...

it now sounds amazing but without those pedals it would sound terrible
Quote by Metalmarathon
The concept of self-fulfilling prophecies never seem to occur to the ones that always create them.

Attic Green
My Band