Hey..

I'm playing a gig in 2-3 weeks...
I will be playing for one hour, an acoustic set, just me and my guitar.
The one who hired me, has asked how much money he shall give me.

What do you think is a fair amount?
He asked how much you wanted? Never seen that happen before O.o

I have a friend who plays classical and gets like £100 for a one hour set, but then again he is like Diploma standard.

Try and assess your ability, the venue, the gig's popularity and likely attendance, and base it on these factors and any others that may affect it. Also, aim higher than you actually reckon he'll give you to ensure that you get the maximum possible amount, even with the haggling
Last edited by mishax92 at Aug 9, 2010,
How good are you? $50 is probably a pretty safe bet either way. If you really think they'll like you, just ask for $20 and for him to pass a tip jar around for you. You'd be surprised how much you can make that way if the crowd digs you.
Quote by kimbo-jack
Hey..

I'm playing a gig in 2-3 weeks...
I will be playing for one hour, an acoustic set, just me and my guitar.
The one who hired me, has asked how much money he shall give me.

What do you think is a fair amount?

Well that would depend on how big the show is.
that depends on many things. For example the driving cost for gas, and you want to make a profit out of your stuff right?
I was thinking like 80-100 bucks.. But I don't know if that's too much.
The Venue is not that big, and I don't know how many people that will get there...
2 of the 4 shows I played were paying gigs... I got about $125 from both of them (well, the band did.. I got about 25-30 actually). That's what I'd start with, and then bargain your way down to a common price.

+1 to the tip jar idea.
Only charge if your good, if this is your first gig, i'd say don't charge too much.
Usually the venue holder figures out how much to pay you based on the drinks/food that are sold from the people that you bring in. but if you're being offered to choose your price.. I'd say feel free to bump it up to whatever you feel you deserve.

Thing to take into account:

- How long you're playing - you said an hour, that's a decent amount of time
- How many other times you've played bars/events
- Your popularity, how well known your name is
- The reaction of the crowd/how well it goes
- How many people you bring in

So in most cases prices are negotiated with afterward, with an estimated provided beforehand, unless you're making money working the door which has nothing to do with the venue itself.
Quote by Night
wtf is a selfie? is that like, touching yourself or something?
Last edited by Wiegenlied at Aug 9, 2010,
Playing an acoustic show (2 people) and a well-established restaurant.
Both players are college trained musicians, playing easy listening pop songs.
$125-$150

Acoustic show (1 person) "hobbyist" or "beginner" playing at a well-established restaurant.
Still about $100.

I'd tell him to give you an estimate of what he's paid other musicians (which he'll lie about)
Leaving how much up to you is absurd, you'll either come off as cheap or greedy.

If he tells you he's paid $50 for a guy before, charge him $75.
Quote by Guitardude19
The world is a fucked up place.

Tele's

"Oh I'll play the blues for you"
Since it's a small venue, don't go to pricy, defiantly not over $100. It also depends on wether this is your first gig ever, or wether your a highly experienced performer. I'm guessing that since your asking the forum, this is at least one of your first paid gigs. Also, I gotta give props to the tips jar idea. It won't just get your more money, it will also tell you if the crowd hated you or loved you.
I'm just like the Jonas Brothers,

I'm no longer relevant and write mediocre music.

I dont take less than $60 an hour plus travel expenses. Charge for rehearsals too. Since your only playing for an hour, dont take less than $100. I dont know what that is in euros or pounds or whatever