I play metal for the most part and I am looking for a good 7-string guitar, new or used.

Budget is $500. Not a fan of active PUPs at all. And if it has a FR that is fine, as long as it is workable and not a pain.

I live in Lansing, Michigan, if there are any good deals around me.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Quote by mishax92
You should try looking at Schecters and Agile, but I think you'd be hard pushed to find one without active PUPs.

Most likely, seeing as how people are obsessed with them.

Would it be a problem to switch them out with my SD passive humbuckers?
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Get an Ibanez RG7321.
Its about 400, and you'll still have extra cash.
Jackson DK-2 [2004 MIJ] (EMG 81/SA)
Jackson RR-3 [2007 MIJ] (EMG 81/60)
Ibanez RG370DX [2009] (EMG 81/60)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom [2004] (EMG 81/85)
Ltd/Esp M-17 7-String [2013] (EMG 81-7 set)
Bugera 333XL 120watt Tube Head, Crate BV412 Cab
Quote by Chaz-6(sic)6
Get an Ibanez RG7321.
Its about 400, and you'll still have extra cash.

Looks like a solid guitar.

I'm also looking for a fast neck, probably should of mentioned that.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
I have a 7321, I wouldn't jump to that right off the bat, I've played some new 7321s that are a couple years newer than mine too, Korea has gotten better with making them compared to my older one but still...

You can find a used Ibanez 7620 between $300-500, kickass guitar, puts the 7321 to shame, even a 7420 is much better than the 7321.
Last edited by OldEscape at Aug 9, 2010,
Quote by OldEscape
I have a 7321, I wouldn't jump to that right off the bat, I've played some new 7321s that are a couple years newer than mine too, Korea has gotten better with making them compared to my older one but still...

You can find a used Ibanez 7620 between $300-500, kickass guitar, puts the 7321 to shame, even a 7420 is much better than the 7321.

That actually looks much better, thanks.

Keep them coming, so far I like the Ibanez 7620
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Quote by ethan_hanus
I'd look at the Ibanez 7321FM with the flame maple top, sounds much brighter, which the normal 7321's are known for sounding kinda dull, due to the dark sounding pickups.

Agile makes good 7 strings for the price too.

Some examples from Agile? Maybe a clip or two?
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Quote by Guitarbaddie
Some examples from Agile? Maybe a clip or two?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oW31zek_4-I

and all of this guy's older vids: http://www.youtube.com/user/diobolic5150
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

I haven't found much info on the Interceptor Pro.

How much do they run new? Used?

Sounds good though. Not sure about the cleans. The PUPs appear to be EMGs, not sure if they even have a single set of EMGs that are passive.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
The bridges on new 7321's are better in design.. I've read they hurt your arm less (more contoured shape). Most guitars on the market will definately be the older ones, though. In Finland 7321 costs 300€ used. Best purchase for a first 7string, I suppose. Sleek neck with all-access and so on.

Still, you most likely will have to swap pickup(s) due to muddiness of the stock ones.

Basswood as body tends to suck, as it's low quality in these Korean/Indonesian/whatever models. But, as mentioned, the maple top version brightens things up. It also looks hotter, unless you prefer the sleek black design. Those FM's are harder to find used.

ANOTHER model to consider is the RGA7. It's mahogany archtop and definately has the better bridge since it's this year's model. BUT it has emg routed active pickups.

Most Schecters are routed active as well (such as the newer Demon 7 and Damien 7 of which latter has emg passives). Omen 7 is passive - but I wouldn't consider that model because it's despite the same cost inferior to 7321.
Quote by Guitarbaddie
I haven't found much info on the Interceptor Pro.

How much do they run new? Used?

Sounds good though. Not sure about the cleans. The PUPs appear to be EMGs, not sure if they even have a single set of EMGs that are passive.

You can only get the Agiles new from Rondo: http://www.rondomusic.com/product2407.html but you might have a bit of luck finding a used one, don't know how much it would run you though.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
You can only get the Agiles new from Rondo: http://www.rondomusic.com/product2407.html but you might have a bit of luck finding a used one, don't know how much it would run you though.

That's awesome, I think I am sold on this guitar.

Thanks for the help
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90