I'm sure this has been done before but i'm wondering what would be the best amp for prog rock? (tube amp of course.)

Im going to be moving into a dorm soo it needs to be a lower wattage aswell.

I have a budget of 500-600.

Help me out guys.
You're gonna probably have to be more specific on that one. The whole prog rock sound can vary heavily.
Quote by MightyAl
I took a pic of myself, cut a hole in the face and stuck my knob through so i could see what I'd look like if I got bitten by a radioactive elephant.
yeah a tube amp will be very loud. i wont be bringing my 20 watt for the first few weeks, i MAY bring it once i get a feel for it but i doubt it. Just my acoustic though

As far as a recommendation goes, an orange or Jet city, any particular bands?
Gibson RawPower SG 2009 (Zales)
Gibson Hummingbird 70's? (Amy)
Jet City JCA 20 Watt Combo
Dunlop Crybaby wah
MXR 10 Band EQ
Ibanez TS-9
I use a Blackstar HT-5 (duh) for progressive rock but the whole point of progressive rock is to be different. Is your budget in US dollars?
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
lol unfortunately yes its US dollars....

And yeah Im trying to get that warm distortion that Petrucci gets (Mesa Boogie I think...) but again its gotta be quiet.

How is the blackstar btw?
I like it a lot, but I know not everyone does. The clean channel is nothing special but I think the distortion is awesome. TBH, it's pretty versatile so I'd recommend it but you might want to try it out first. At 5W, the clean channel is the perfect volume but the distortion is loud (but sounds decent at lower volumes).

EDIT: It's pretty big though (and I imagine the combo would be very heavy)

Might wanna check out the ZVex Nano too - it's smaller than most pedals!
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Last edited by Emperor's Child at Aug 9, 2010,
Quote by Psycho|@_@|
lol unfortunately yes its US dollars....

And yeah Im trying to get that warm distortion that Petrucci gets (Mesa Boogie I think...) but again its gotta be quiet.

How is the blackstar btw?

Here's one thing...you need to give up on ever getting close to JPs tone. His live gear alone consists of 3 $2000 heads, and a closet full of rack gear.

I'm not saying you won't be able to get good tone on a budget, but don't compare it Petrucci's. It will only make you cry.
Quote by rmr024
Well, in California, people carry around devices that control the minds of bears. So expect to see people walking their bears.

Also, don't be surprised if some robot hookers try to solicit sex to you on the streets.
egnater tweaker + tubescreamer, JCA20 + tubescreamer, if you need 2 channels, blackstar ht 20
Gibson SG Special Faded(Super Distortion/PAF Pro)
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
In 60 years, there will still be Opeth.
You know why?
Death ain't got **** on Mikael.
Quote by Linqua5150
egnater tweaker + tubescreamer, JCA20 + tubescreamer, if you need 2 channels, blackstar ht 20

I agree with the tweaker...or if you can expand your budget a bit, go for the Rebel 20. The Tube Mix gives you some awesome tone IMO.

It definitely needs to be boosted though.
Quote by rmr024
Well, in California, people carry around devices that control the minds of bears. So expect to see people walking their bears.

Also, don't be surprised if some robot hookers try to solicit sex to you on the streets.
By prog rock I assume you mean super versatile and very tight sounding. Unless your prepared to dish out for mark IV, you aren't going to nail it.

You can come reasonably close though. If you stretch to 650, you could easily pick up a nice peavey combo. Anything with a master volume will work fine in a dorm (I've even used non-master amps in dorms before...)

Look at a peavey JSX, XXX, or 6505+. That's probably as close as you're gonna get. Maybe a laney AOR.

You're other option is a solid modelling amp like the line 6 vetta II though

All this is used pricing of course
Quote by denied
By prog rock I assume you mean super versatile and very tight sounding. Unless your prepared to dish out for mark IV, you aren't going to nail it.

You can come reasonably close though. If you stretch to 650, you could easily pick up a nice peavey combo. Anything with a master volume will work fine in a dorm (I've even used non-master amps in dorms before...)

Look at a peavey JSX, XXX, or 6505+. That's probably as close as you're gonna get. Maybe a laney AOR.

You're other option is a solid modelling amp like the line 6 vetta II though

All this is used pricing of course

I don't think a Mark IV is his only option for Prog.
Quote by rmr024

Quote by SLonergan
Here's one thing...you need to give up on ever getting close to JPs tone. His live gear alone consists of 3 $2000 heads, and a closet full of rack gear.

I'm not saying you won't be able to get good tone on a budget, but don't compare it Petrucci's. It will only make you cry.

Isnt that the truth...^^^ Still I get suggstions for mesa boogie, I know. lol Ive got one.
But I need to buy a smaller amp.
So for suggestions I've got the Ht-5 and the Tweaker. Anything else?

P.s. The tweaker isn't bad lol. It sounds pretty good!

(People keep in mind i've got plenty of pedals to push tubes so bring it on!)
Last edited by Psycho|@_@| at Aug 9, 2010,
For practicing in the dorm and stuff, I'd just get a headphone amp, a POD, or somesuch. Maybe something that consists almost entirely of software.

If I were on a budget for a gigging amp though I'd look at the Carvin X-100, the Carvin V-3, Peavey 5150/6505 and Peavey JSX. But that's only because you're insisting on tubes, were I in your position I sure wouldn't. I'd just find a Vetta.
Quote by Flying Couch

If I were on a budget for a gigging amp though I'd look at the Carvin X-100, the Carvin V-3, Peavey 5150/6505 and Peavey JSX.

Aren't those kinda big?
Quote by Psycho|@_@|
Aren't those kinda big?

Depends on what you consider big. I don't think they're small by any stretch of the word but I don't find them particularly large. I mean, they're all available as 2x12 combos. That's not "ZOMG HUUUUUUUUUUUUUEG"
Quote by SLonergan

Yeah, no kidding. He is your god for a reason

TS: If you can, go to a local store and try out all the tube amps there.

Also, check out the jca 20?
Attachments:
BEHOLD YOUR GOD.jpg
Gear:
Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Peavey 5150II All Tube 120w Head
Avatar contemporary 2x12 (Celestion v30's)
Peavey Vypyr 15w (Fantastic Practice Amp!!!)

Got Djent?
Also, to get Trooch's tone, you need to be able to do this:

Quote by rmr024