So, I have a peavey bandit 112 transtube series (80w) and I'm thinking about buying a distortion pedal to get a better distortion and a better control on it...However I'm a noob at pedals (never bought one before) sodon't how to choose one and I'd try some but I don't have many guitar stores around..so anyways any suggestion or tips on how to choose the right pedal is greatly appreciated

oh and I play different metal genres
Gear:

Jackson Dinky
Cort Zenox Z22

Peavey Bandit 112 transtube series
The first thing you're going to hear on here is to get a new amp. That seems to be the answer for almost everything Well maybe not because it seems I'm the first post!

Since you don't have many stores around you, spend a few hours on YouTube. There are tons of demos there. I know it's not ideal, people have different setups and the audio on YouTube sucks most of the time, it's a good place to start to get an idea of what you like.

I'm going to say, Guyatone Metal Monster. I've used one for years for just about any kind of music. The only thing I found that it isn't good for is if you use a strat or tele and want the twang, the MM tends to stifle that.

Other pedals I like are the MI Audio Crunchbox, ProCo Rat (may not be too good for your application though), and a modified MT-2 I have that is amazing. I'm not going to spam so you will have to PM me if you want to know about that one.

There's a guy, Gearmandude (I think that's right), on YouTube that does some pretty decent demos of a lot of distortion, OD's, and fuzz pedals. He has a lot so that might be worth a look.
Thanks I'll check that up now but nah I won't change my amp I bought it not too long ago and I like it so far its just that I want to see what a pedal could add to it!
Gear:

Jackson Dinky
Cort Zenox Z22

Get a Boss HM-2.
Play Entombed riffs.
Help kill overproduced modern metal.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Are you looking for an OD to tighten up the amp distortion, or a full out distortion to use on top of the amps clean channel?

For an OD look at the ts9 or ts-808 (with the 4558d jrc chip if you can). You'll want to run this with gain at 0 and volume full out.

For a full out distortion, look at the Barber dirty bomb, digittech hardwire tl-2, and boss hm2 (MIJ if you can pick one up)

Hope this helps

Edit: ^ I knew you'd be around to recommend it The HM-2 is a badass pedal
Last edited by denied at Aug 9, 2010,
Quote by denied
boss hm2 (MIJ if you can pick one up)

Having owned both, it makes no difference whatsoever.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Quote by denied
Are you looking for an OD to tighten up the amp distortion, or a full out distortion to use on top of the amps clean channel?

Honestly as it would be my first pedal I'm not sure cause my amp has a decent distortion already I just feel like I'd achieve a better sound with a pedal. So would it be better to get and od or distortion in that case?
Gear:

Jackson Dinky
Cort Zenox Z22

Get a distortion pedal not overdrive.

Get a Electro Harmonix metal muff or Digitech hardwire metal distortion tl-2
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
I was going to suggest the HM-2 also but a lot of people don't like that pedal for some reason. I have both MIJ and MIT and there is a VERY SUBTLE difference between the two. I wouldn't worry about where it was made.

The Metal Muff is also good but it's basically just an MT-2 with fixed frequency and a boost tagged on the end so I would probably just get the MT-2 as it's smaller and has the adjustable frequency.
Quote by jesterwhoracle
Honestly as it would be my first pedal I'm not sure cause my amp has a decent distortion already I just feel like I'd achieve a better sound with a pedal. So would it be better to get and od or distortion in that case?

It really comes down to what you want. A completely different distortion, or your current distortion boosted/tightened.

An EQ pedal might also work for you. I usually prefer to work with amp distortion, but have never spent much time with your amp.

Ideally you'd try all these options out.
if its metallica/pantera style tone im going to recomend a barber dirty bomb, mine is awesome... if it broke i would defiantly get another
Quote by Metalmarathon
The concept of self-fulfilling prophecies never seem to occur to the ones that always create them.

Attic Green
My Band