Hi, I've been looking at a nice fretless Vintage in a music shop for a while noe, trying to justufy saving up the money for it. Are fretless basses really suited for rock, or would I be better going for another, fretted, bass?
You don't need anything. Are you comfortable playing a fretless? Sure, they can be used in any kind of music; the key is just that you are comfortable playing it.
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
No, you don't need it. If you get it will you be able to play rock? Yes, you will. Fretless basses aren't usually used in rock but it can be done. It's all about sound and feel, not about if it should or shouldn't be done.
So that with good courage we say, “The Lord is my helper. I will not fear. What can man do to me?”

-Hebrews 13:6
The question is pretty straightforward: do you want to play a fretless? Do you want that fretless "mwah" tone? If the answer is yes, then buy a fretless.

Out of sheer curiosity, what bass are you looking at getting from that store?
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
If you're looking at the Vintage Jaco Pastorious bass, I tried it at a shop, its really got that fretless mwahhh tone, better than my fretless Fender Jazz.

However, in a case of need, no I don't think you need it. Want is a completely different matter, I own the majority of my gear through wanting something. To function, I don't need anything but food, water, air and sleep.

Fretless basses can pull off pretty much anything if you want it to, I've seen a fretless in pretty much every genre, and I play a fair few of them, with my fretless, so if you feel comfortable, by all means get it.
Also look into fretless warwick basses if its the Jaco one your looking at then it may be in your range. They are pwetty good :3
"RAWR WIRES >:O"
One more kiss... One more touch...
I miss you, wont you hug me just one last time?

Twitter!!~ Follow Re-follow :P
have you played one? if you really don't know, find someone with one and play it with some jam buddies. it'll sound either right or wrong, it's all opinion.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
I have a Warwick fretless and have gigged with it. we play rock and blues sounds great they have great tone. A good addition to the arsonal
Ask yourself three question.

1. Are you confident with and/or willing to work to make sure your intonation is right?

2. Do you want a very mellow, "mwah" tone from your bass?

3. Are you comfortable with not slapping on your primary bass?

If you say "yes" to these than yes, a fretless is a great idea. I have one I defretted myself and find myself using it most of the time, only using my J-Bass when I'm slapping or looking for a bit of clack.
Quote by Black Ox
Not unless u want to be a Jaco Pastalopogus wannabe

Pastalopogus - a chain of spaghetti shacks on a cluster of islands roughly 500 miles west of Ecuador. The owner/operator likes to be called Jaco.
Quote by OtamotPuhctek
Pastalopogus - a chain of spaghetti shacks on a cluster of islands roughly 500 miles west of Ecuador. The owner/operator likes to be called Jaco.

There's one of those Vintage Jaco style basses on basschat for £100 right now - I'm tempted to get it myself.
Quote by OtamotPuhctek

/thread
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
What's meant by intonation on a fretless, I know what it usually means but is it different without frets?
Oh right. yeah I can do that I used to play the double bass, violin and cello in an orchestra. But not at the same time of course!
Sorted then! In that case, if you like the sound of the fretless, buy it. It can be made to suit your purposes.
^ to play?

it plays different, requires much more precision, but allows more expression due to the ability to give you oodles of dissonance options. slides sound far cooler. it has a deep woody and blunt note called a 'mwah' that people love.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom