I recently put a brand new set of Texas Special Pickups for my Stratocaster, and i was wondering, how close do the pickups have to be to the strings? Help would be greatly appreciated and I apologize if this forum is in the wrong thread. Thank you.
-srvfan
as close as you want without touching the strings
the closer to the strings the more output and less sustain from the strings the farther away the opposite
Quote by supersac
as close as you want without touching the strings
the closer to the strings the more output and less sustain from the strings the farther away the opposite

Sorry to ask a Q on someone else's thread but it relates to something I just did to my guitar...
You are saying the closer the P/ups are the LESS sustain I get? If you could verify this it'd be awesome
Uncle aciD

&

The deadbeatS

Do What Your Love Tells You
Well, this is how you go about adjusting pickup height(to my knowledge) start with the bridge pickup, strike the strings and raise the pickup until it starts to sound muddy, then lower the pickup slightly from that point, and repeat for the rest.

Me personally, I keep my pickups around 1/4 (or 2-3mm) of an inch off the pickguard, I use extremely hot passive pickups too.

You don't want them that close, other wise it will cause excess vibrations on certain notes, and reduce your sustain, not to mention make it more muddy.