So I've been playing guitar for 3 years and figured I should try something new, So I'm getting a bass. The only bass experience I have is from my acoustic bass and sometimes playing my friends electric.

My other friend has http://www.guitarcenter.com/Dean-Custom-Zone-4-String-Bass-104492608-i1172583.gc, the nuclear green color.

Despite the color, I hear it is pretty good, and my friend is willing to give it to me for FREE. So, Is it a good bass? The reviews seem nice. and I'm sure it's fine for a beginner, I'm just wondering.

Thanks
Oh dear god is that ugly. Most of the websites seem to give it pretty good reviews, so I'd say it's a decent bang for the buck. However if you touch it with your fingers they might burn off.
Quote by grantyshmanty
Yeah, but I'm wondering if it's a good quality bass.

It's not going to be fender, or even squire quality but it won't be bad. If you get it free, who cares. Main problem I've found with cheap bass's is terrible fret jobs... May have been just my experince though. You can always refret it.
get that bass, sell it and use the money to buy a squier affinty jazz bass.
much better quality and better tone then that dean piece of shit
Quote by Alucard817
get that bass, sell it and use the money to buy a squier affinty jazz bass.
much better quality and better tone then that dean piece of shit

There's P and J bass.
J is Jazz I'm assuming? I'll look into it
^ yes J stands for Jazz Bass, and P for Precision Bass.

The bass you'd be getting for free is a Dean, so QC is a joke. But you're getting it for free, so there's no reason to judge quality. Free bass is free bass.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
squier classic vibe precision has the nicest neck iv ever used, sounds good too. if you got some buck behind you and sell the Dean id say classic vibe, epi thunderbird or precision/jazz standard
Quote by grantyshmanty
Tostitos, should I possibly sell that for the squier?

I'd sell the Dean for as much as you realistically can, and add some of your own money to get a higher end Squier (CV or VM series) or something like an Ibanez GSR200 or a Peavey Millennium BXP.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
I looked at that bass and a little bit of me died on the inside.

Good Golly that bass is motherfunkin' hideous. But it is free .. So why not take it.

But I would take Tostito's advice, sell that piece of shhh .. and use some of your own money to get something more decent. Like an Ibanez or a Peavey or a Yamaha or a Squier. Also look 2nd hand, you might find a great bargain on a Squier Classic Vibe or Vintage Modified and if you're reeally lucky a Fender Precision.
There was once a wise Chinese man who said:

"All you can eat, $12.50"