Hello. I recently replaced my old .10 strings from my strat to .12's. Unfortunately, after I put them in and tuned them, I noticed that my bridge was bent completely towards the fretboard. That, as you may know, makes it impossible to use my whammy bar. Any ideas on how to fix this issue? Help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
-srvfan
You need to set the guitar up. Adjust the intonation, Adjust the bridge, Adjust the nut, Adjust the saddles, Adjust the truss rod. You have just made big jump on strings and now your guitar needs setting up.
The 12's have alot more tension and it's pulling your bridge forward. The springs in the back are not strong enough alone to pull them. But just adding springs won't fix your problem. All of the things mentioned above needs adjusting.

ESP LTD RZK-600
4 Custom Strats
1 Custom Soloist (Warmoth)
1 Custom Telecaster (Warmoth)
2007 Jimmie Vaughan Sig Strat

Callaham Hardware & Bridges
Fender Custom Shop 69's
Dimarzio Breed Pickups

Blues Junior Amp
BlackStar HT Club 40 Amp
Last edited by JohnnyNash at Aug 9, 2010,
Quote by JohnnyNash
You need to set the guitar up. Adjust the intonation, Adjust the bridge, Adjust the nut, Adjust the saddles, Adjust the truss rod. You have just made big jump on strings and now your guitar needs setting up.
The 12's have alot more tension and it's pulling your bridge forward. The springs in the back are not strong enough alone to pull them. But just adding springs won't fix your problem. All of the things mentioned above needs adjusting.

Innotation and action wont be affected by larger strings on a strat, but TS will have to have the truss rod adjusted a bit and he should throw some more springs in there.

But then again, if the trem is set to float, then he prolly wont have to adjust the truss rod, but idk, I've never used .012's, I use .011's, and the guitar when I bought it came standard with .009's, and I've never changed the truss rod, so...yeah....

I do know for a fact that if you set a vintage trem to float, then you don't have to adjust the truss rod when you change string gauges.
I have floaters and yes the truss rod needs adjusting, the nut will more than likely need trimming to fit the low E and A strings. From reading his post I am pretty sure he has never had the radius setup along with the action and intonation. That is why I mentioned all of the things to do. He would be better off getting a setup from a luthier and have it right. There is alot more to it than just throwing a set of strings on and playing. That is if you want the guitar to sound right

ESP LTD RZK-600
4 Custom Strats
1 Custom Soloist (Warmoth)
1 Custom Telecaster (Warmoth)
2007 Jimmie Vaughan Sig Strat

Callaham Hardware & Bridges
Fender Custom Shop 69's
Dimarzio Breed Pickups

Blues Junior Amp
BlackStar HT Club 40 Amp