ok so my gotoh TOM just arrived this morning and I installed it and noticed it doesn't have string grooves, it just has little notches to start the groove. out of sheer stupid luck I can't find a goddamn metal file, let alone a small enough one. my question is: should I use a hack saw or go to a music store and see if they have some sort of special file?
all other suggestions are appreciated! thanks!
-Gibson SG Faded
-Ibanez RG5EX1L
-Custom Upside-Down Strat
-Modded Epiphone LP
-Fender Acoustic
*Marshall DSL15H
>Ibanez TS9
>MXR Micro Flanger
>Boss TU-3
>Danelectro Vibe
>Guyatone ST-2 Comrpessor
Sometimes those little grooves ARE the string slots. I wouldn't hold out much hope for a music store having a file for sale. You could use a hacksaw if you're careful but it might be too wide for the the unwound strings. If you have the slots started you can try getting some sand paper and wrapping it around the string and sort of using that as a file. I may take a while but it would work.
but wouldn't the strings slip off?
-Gibson SG Faded
-Ibanez RG5EX1L
-Modded Epiphone LP
-Fender Acoustic
*Marshall DSL15H
>Ibanez TS9
>MXR Micro Flanger
>Boss TU-3
>Danelectro Vibe
I could have sworn I saw an article about this somewhere, off to find it...

EDIT: Found it:

http://www.stewmac.com/tradesecrets/ts0109_tuneOsaddles.hzml

████████████
████████████

RBY CYOA
Last edited by MonkeyLink07 at Aug 9, 2010,
Quote by ethan_hanus
That's normal, DO NOT take a metal file to it. They are designed flat. Just string it up and go from there, if your not happy with the saddles, then buy new saddles with grooves.
lol, no. are you trying to get on the "who to NOT listen to" list or smth?
The strings won't stay in place that way.

Quote by Dr.Tong
ok so my gotoh TOM just arrived this morning and I installed it and noticed it doesn't have string grooves, it just has little notches to start the groove. out of sheer stupid luck I can't find a goddamn metal file, let alone a small enough one. my question is: should I use a hack saw or go to a music store and see if they have some sort of special file?
all other suggestions are appreciated! thanks!
NO WAY!

You need a precision file like a nutfile. You need smooth edges and a rounded groove of appropriate width. a hacksaw will make a mess, so will most files. if you do this wrong, your strings will slide around in slots that are too wide, or burrs will cause your strings to snap at the bridge.

The little notches are just markings so you know where the center is.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
well, im not ordering another thing from Stew Mac, im not that impatient i just really want to finish this. and i know thats a terrible attitude for this kind of project, but i already went at it with the hack saw (the blade is actually just a round file, in between the size of an A string and an E string) and a smaller similar hack saw thats thinner. im also using a nail file to get rid of burrs and what not. so far its gone quite well
-Gibson SG Faded
-Ibanez RG5EX1L
-Modded Epiphone LP
-Fender Acoustic
*Marshall DSL15H
>Ibanez TS9
>MXR Micro Flanger
>Boss TU-3
>Danelectro Vibe
I would go to www.graphtech.com and order some saddles from them, if SYK is right, which wouldn't make any sense to me, why would they ship a bridge with flat saddles if that's not the right way to do it? You want your saddles to be precise, so I would just order some that are already made precise.

I swear by graphtech's products.
hm I guess I'll do that if this doesn't work
well I used my old TOM as a guide and the notches are almost identical (I'm a perfectionist with my work) but I have one more question before I string her up
I've seen guitars where the strings are wrapped around the tailpiece like a wraparound beige and then strung thru the TOM etc etc, is this just something for show or does it atually have an affect? examples: zakk wylde, Billy gibbons, other various guitars I've seen online...
-Gibson SG Faded
-Ibanez RG5EX1L
-Modded Epiphone LP
-Fender Acoustic
*Marshall DSL15H
>Ibanez TS9
>MXR Micro Flanger
>Boss TU-3
>Danelectro Vibe
Quote by Dr.Tong
hm I guess I'll do that if this doesn't work
well I used my old TOM as a guide and the notches are almost identical (I'm a perfectionist with my work) but I have one more question before I string her up
I've seen guitars where the strings are wrapped around the tailpiece like a wraparound beige and then strung thru the TOM etc etc, is this just something for show or does it atually have an affect? examples: zakk wylde, Billy gibbons, other various guitars I've seen online...
It's pretty useless. It adds a tiny bit to the excess length of the string beyond the bridge. It has little to do with anything good and a bit to do with something bad. Could cause problems with tuning instability in the wrapped area of the strings not equalising tension.

bottom line: i wouldn't do it.

Quote by ethan_hanus
I would go to www.graphtech.com and order some saddles from them, if SYK is right, which wouldn't make any sense to me, why would they ship a bridge with flat saddles if that's not the right way to do it? You want your saddles to be precise, so I would just order some that are already made precise.

I swear by graphtech's products.
Shipping them flat and having you cut your own slots is the ONLY way to get them "precise".

If they slot them for a heavy gauge string set, they'll be sloppy if you use light gauges.

If they slot them for light gauge and you use heavy gauge, the strings will not fit. They'll bind and get cut by the bridge.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
ok well... i plugged the guitar in... and no output what so ever
now i think i know what the problem is:
A: the first thing i thought of are some extended wires. i cut some too short so i decided to add an extension as wire supply wasnt the greatest. i soldered them, and then covered the connected area with hot glue to prevent them from touching the the extended wires. so maybe theres a small hole or something...
B: on the output jack, the original wire (which i used) had to wires within one coating, each wire was soldered to each terminal on the output jack, i found this unusual as the S.D. wiring diagram said you only needed a single wire from the output jack to the switch. but i ignored it and connected both wires to the designated terminal. was that wrong?
-Gibson SG Faded
-Ibanez RG5EX1L
-Modded Epiphone LP
-Fender Acoustic
*Marshall DSL15H
>Ibanez TS9
>MXR Micro Flanger
>Boss TU-3
>Danelectro Vibe
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Shipping them flat and having you cut your own slots is the ONLY way to get them "precise".

If they slot them for a heavy gauge string set, they'll be sloppy if you use light gauges.

If they slot them for light gauge and you use heavy gauge, the strings will not fit. They'll bind and get cut by the bridge.

The exactest thing that's ever been. Ethan Hanus' approach works somewhat alright in a pinch, but akin to using a thumbtack where you'd usually need a screw.