Page 1 of 2
This is Version 2 of my Small Cheap Tube Amp Thread. This version contains the newer amps that have came out recently, as well as updated info on tube amps from the previous thread.

Tubes! Here at UG we love them. Every day tons of new threads come up asking UG for tube amp recommendations. Most only have a bit of money and need an amp that can do home practice well. The idea of this thread is that we will post some reviews of commonly recommended tube amps which are smaller in size (>20 watts) and inexpensive in price (>600$), and that we will give suggestions for UGers about small tube amps.

Note: Please check out the stickies for more information. This guide is not intended to replace them but to add to the knowledge – only a small amount of these amps were already reviewed in the stickies.

Considerations about tube amps
In general, tube or solid state doesn’t matter if it sounds good. For some genres (extreme metal, usually), solid state amps would be preferred because they can usually achieve higher gain distortion. Some prefer solid state amps because they need them to stay clean at higher volumes, like the Roland JC, a famous clean solid state amp. Others may have to spend their money on a higher wattage amp rather than a more toneful one due to gigging requirements – though tube amps sound louder than solid states of the same wattage. Many have chosen solid state amps out of fear of the maintenance required for tube amps. Or, you may think that you need versatility and portability that no tube amps at a regular price range offer. Many of these are poor reasons not to buy a tube amp –wattage shouldn’t be taken over tone, maintenance of tube amps isn’t really that bad, etc. It is also a general rule that tube amps sound more musical and warm than a solid state amp. Transistors clip harshly when turned up and many solid state amps sound sterile even when turned down. Tube amps will produce decent sounds at low volumes and sound superb when you crank the volume knob. Overall, despite the reasons why many choose not to buy a tube amp, the reasons to do so are usually stronger. So do what works for you!

It is also frequently a good idea to go for a used amp. You will get tons more bang for your buck, ie. a better amp. And don’t let this thread be your sole guide – try before you buy and get what you like.

Tube Amp Choice Chart

By the way, since I'm comparing amps across a very wide price range, this chart can't really be used to compare 100 and 500 dollar amps. It's mostly to show the good and bad attributes of each amp. So, for example, a 500 dollar amp with a rating of "Great" for crunch will have much better crunch than a 100 dollar amp with a rating of "Great" for crunch. Please take into consideration that these ratings refer to the amp on its own without pedals, unless otherwise stated.

P.S. - we need reviews! help us out by giving us a review of your amp! also the tube amp choice chart will probably change pretty frequently as we take your input into consideration
Last edited by Robino_Ibanez at Aug 11, 2010,
Reviews 10-20 Watt

Traynor YCV-20 – This comes in two versions, the discontinued but not uncommon YCV-20 and the newer YCV-20WR in Wine Red with a Greenback speaker instead of a Rocket 50. The WR is 699 and the 20 is 599. They seem to be less than that in stores though (more like 500ish?). Confusingly these are 15-watt amps despite the “20” in the name. I own the regular version. Awesome amp, IMO the best British-voiced for the price. Many say the cleans are the best part about this amp. Shimmery if you put some reverb on, twangy or bluesy if you want to hit the brightness switch. The lead channel isn’t half bad either. Overdrive with nice “bite” to it, and a boost switch for solos. Can do a much better metal tone than most 15-watters if cranked up. Has something of a sweet spot for rock drive if cranked to 8ish, more than that and the speaker sometimes acts a little strangely. Not super-loud for 15 watts which is okay cause you can turn it up. Works well with my OD but can be a little heavy on the mids. My only real complaint is that it gets a bit noisy – a noise reduction pedal is next on my list, and I bet an EQ would go well with this amp too. More giggable than other alternatives because it has two footswitchable channels and a boost switch. Though I’m biased towards my own amp, this would still be a great choice for the player who wants versatility and tone.

Crate V18 112 – Let me start by saying that for $149 this is a superb value. There are very few tube amps of giggable size at this price. The V18 is a decent amp. Seems very loud for the wattage which may be nice for gigs but screws you for cranking it at home. It also doesn’t have a tube preamp so high-gain is harder to achieve without turning it up. 18 watts is small but still a lot for home practice. Decent cleans and pretty good overdrive, but excellent value. If your goal is to get an amp that you can turn up to full to get power-tube saturation at home, this probably isn’t it. Nice amp nevertheless.

Crate V18 212 – Not recommended, heavier, more expensive, and not as easy for speaker swaps as the 112. Still an ok amp but go for the 112 instead. $199.

Vox Night Train – This is a nice amp. The cleans are above average and very bright, but not sharp. There is a decent amount of gain on tap, but not quite enough for harder shit. The EQ is fairly touch-sensitive and a wide variety of tones are easily attainable. This amp shines for british voiced classic rock. The voicing on the bright setting is fairly jangly, yet somewhat different compared to the usual vox. It has less low end and more scooped mids. The thick mode is fantastic! All of the EQ is disabled in this mode, therefore it is not a very versatile setting. However, it produces a great, mid heavy crunch tone that no other amp in this price range can touch. It is only one sound, but it's very nice. This amp lacks some features, such as reverb, an FX loop or anything footswitchable. Some nice things about this amp include the wattage selecter (switchable from pentode to triode for half wattage) and a compact and light design. Great for its easy portability and value. It's wonderful for both studio, as well as small gigs and bedroom jamming.
Ibanez S320 with Dimarzio Fred + Seymour Duncan 59-> Weeping Demon Wah -> Ibanez TS-7 -> Homemade iBoost x3 -> Keeley DS-1 -> Visual Sound H2O -> MXR Ten Band -> Traynor YCV20
Last edited by Robino_Ibanez at Aug 9, 2010,
reserved - reviews 10-20 watt part 2
Ibanez S320 with Dimarzio Fred + Seymour Duncan 59-> Weeping Demon Wah -> Ibanez TS-7 -> Homemade iBoost x3 -> Keeley DS-1 -> Visual Sound H2O -> MXR Ten Band -> Traynor YCV20
Reviews Below 10 Watts
VHT Special 6 (thanks Dave_Mc)
It's a fender-based amp- the preamp is based on a fixed TMB blackface tonestack, with a footswitchable boost to partially bypass some of the tonestack for a warmer, hotter (tweedier?) tone. For the money, it's hard to complain- handwired, footswitchable boost, triode/pentode operation, 4/8/16 ohm speaker jacks, high and low input jacks. I have the combo version.

Pros:

- It sounds pretty Fendery, especially with Fender-style single coils, it has a nice warm bouncy tone.
- Takes pedals pretty well (though not as well as a valve junior).
- Very touch-responsive.
- Cleans and crunch tones are very nice indeed for the money.
- Handwired (if that means anything; it certainly makes it easier to mod if you're that way inclined, though if you don't know what you're doing, bear in mind you can DIE if you open an amp up, so don't do it).
- Lots of features for the price, and they're all pretty useful and don't make it feel or sound like a non-vintage amp.
- The boost is almost like having two styles of Fender amp- blackface (boost off) and tweed (boost on).
- Can take most octal output valves (though I haven't tried this myself, and in the combo version it looks like the speaker might be in the way of larger octal output valves) for a change in tone.

Cons:

- There's a fair bit of background noise
- Very little clean headroom, even with low output single coils, and the volume knob taper is very abrupt (it's overdriven by 9-o'clock on the volume control with most pickups) while the knob itself is a bit loose
-Triode mode sounds very different to pentode, with a lot less gain and sparkle- you can't really use triode mode to get the cranked-up tone at lower volumes. Ditto the low input- it lowers the gain, but also the sparkle (which is what I want for cleaner tones).
- Cabinet is supposedly MDF
- Can sound a little harsh when overdriven too hard.
- Ideally might have a little more brightness for the unboosted mode.
Last edited by Robino_Ibanez at Aug 10, 2010,
reserved - reviews below 10 watts part 2
Youtube Videos/Soundclips
Since some of these demos are essentially just someone on youtube jamming on the amp, we can always use more/better amp demos. Let me know if you have something to contribute.
Valve Jr: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-O1QQnkOoI
Crate V5: Soundclip needed
Fender Champion 600: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qlvok8eEWXI&feature=related
Blackheart Little Giant: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uACfzWYMMYQ
Blackheart Killer Ant:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKn7RDXdPbI
Fender Vibro Champ XD: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_5uuxye-CE
Fender Super Champ XD: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aGMTrL0pGg
Peavey JSX Mini Colossal: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqxfgbpJXa4
Blackstar HT-5: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbmrjqOjsAE&feature=related
Fender Pro Jr: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llJDYJaZmUc
Fender Blues Jr: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yg7KRR9FBlc
Crate V18: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4D_5FXS6bvM (overdrive pedal used in parts of this video)
Traynor YCV20: still looking for a clip, might make one of my own
Bugera V5: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPIakwYlpho&feature=related (Boss MZ-2 pedal used near the end of the video)
Bugera V22: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoRW8Wj7dWc
Krank Rev Jr: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2VVPv8WUKE
Egnater Rebel 20: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1AX4LSQJkA&feature=related
Orange Tiny Terror: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_VfqiPeTIU&feature=related
Vox Night Train: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxL04_EKUdI
Last edited by Robino_Ibanez at Aug 9, 2010,
reserved - youtube videos/soundclips of amps part 2
the windsor and jsx didn't do too well. although I wouldn't call the windsor small, isn't it like 100-120 watts?
Quote by alm0st a skat3r
yeah i remember when i had a good conscience. now i dont give a ****

xxx
smoke weed, drink 40's, **** titties
Where is this chart from?
You tested them all?
My first lolstack
Quote by whitenihilist

If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.
cool. this will help a lot of people out.

by the looks of it, the Jet City is the best overall amp? is that based more on your experiences or reviews you've read?
Quote by bellette
Where is this chart from?
You tested them all?

Among me and friends, we've played almost all of them. For ones which we've never tried, we're going with the general consensus on UG.
The champ 600 has a way better clean and crunch than many amps that are listed Great in those categories.

Edit: in my opinion anyway.
My first lolstack
Quote by whitenihilist

If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.
I'd love to help contribute; Tell me what you want me to give insight to, and I'll get to work on a review of my Blues Junior.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
Maybe add a criteria for moddability? It's pretty common to hack up these small amps, especially with the Valve Junior and now with the JCA20 as well.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
I can't understand why the Valve Jr is poor at clean. I use a Vjr head with both multifx and pedals. It's very clean and it does very any crunch/distortion on it's own.

The chart is confusing because it doesn't say if it's taking pedals into consideration. For example, the Vjr doesn't do metal on it's own, so if red means it can't do it then red on clean is completely misleading. The clean on the Blackstar HT-5 is nearly identical to the Vjr except the Vjr has more clean headroom than the HT-5. I have both.

If you do take pedals into consideration then the Vjr does a lot more than crunch, which is doesn't do well on it's own dispite that being it's only green. Plus the crunch and distortion on the Super Champ is pretty darn good. Way greener than the crunch on the Vjr.
Originally Posted by fly135
The chart is confusing because it doesn't say if it's taking pedals into consideration. For example, the Vjr doesn't do metal on it's own, so if red means it can't do it then red on clean is completely misleading. The clean on the Blackstar HT-5 is nearly identical to the Vjr except the Vjr has more clean headroom than the HT-5. I have both.

It is a little confusing, and I think the HT-5 should be given a better value for money rating.

In fact it might be better to just list approx. prices for value?
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Good job Robino! Glad you've decided to make a new one.

Quote by handbanana
the windsor and jsx didn't do too well. although I wouldn't call the windsor small, isn't it like 100-120 watts?

His chart says Windsor Studio.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Peavey-Windsor-Studio-20W-1x12-Tube-Combo-Amp-481660-i1386608.gc

And JSX Mini

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-JSX-Mini-Colossal-Guitar-Amp?sku=480777&src=3WWRWXGB&ZYXSEM=0&gclid=CLj1j-6kraMCFQ4NDQodUV2a4A
nice work

I would take out the bit about used amps- if you ask me that's a judgement call specific to each case, and needs to be decided on its own merits.

You could also add the vht special 6 and (for people in the UK) valvepower marshall 18 watt clone. Maybe the hayden mofo/mini mofo and engl gigmaster too (though I'm not sure how many have tried the minimofo or engl, i know i haven't).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
this is cool.

feel free to use tweaker clips from my profile if you want.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

i knew it was the jsx mini, was more reffering to the windsor. and ok
Quote by alm0st a skat3r

xxx
I would say the JCA20 is at least yellow in the metal category and definitely a green in the metal w/boost category.

EDIT: Is the JSX mini really that bad? I've never played one my my JSX head shreds for just about everything. Although yes, that thing is terrible as far as value goes.
I have a huge fear if rays.
Last edited by ChrisBW at Aug 9, 2010,
if ithe jsx is rated worse than the windsor than i'd imagine it's not much more than a cardboard box with knobs and a horn
Quote by alm0st a skat3r

xxx
Quote by handbanana
if ithe jsx is rated worse than the windsor than i'd imagine it's not much more than a cardboard box with knobs and a horn

the jsx mini and the windsor studio are just about that. given it's a decent horn.
Quote by Robino_Ibanez
Among me and friends, we've played almost all of them. For ones which we've never tried, we're going with the general consensus on UG.

You have friends?
Gear:

Ibanez RG350DX w/ Seymour Duncans and an OFR
Genz Benz Black Pearl 30 Head
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Quote by ChrisBW
I would say the JCA20 is at least yellow in the metal category and definitely a green in the metal w/boost category.

EDIT: Is the JSX mini really that bad? I've never played one my my JSX head shreds for just about everything. Although yes, that thing is terrible as far as value goes.

honestly, the jsx mini is really poor. ESPECIALLY for the price, but it'd still be pretty bad if it was half the price.
Quote by Robino_Ibanez
honestly, the jsx mini is really poor. ESPECIALLY for the price, but it'd still be pretty bad if it was half the price.

i have to agree completely. i could not see how they sold even one at that price. although PT Barnum was right...
I think these could go on the list

fender blues jr
vht special 6
jca picovalve
kustom the defender 5
epipone valve sr
Fender Pro unior
Vox AC15C1
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by AcousticMirror

fender blues jr
vht special 6
jca picovalve
kustom the defender 5
epipone valve sr
Fender Pro unior
Vox AC15C1

got the blues jr, pro jr, ac15, and valve sr. don't know much about the others, but if you have any insight on them, let me know.
I know the kustom defender just came out. Dave has a special 6 with some reviews. He's had it longer then I have. picovalve isn't out yet. I'll probably be grabbing when it is.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Awesome job, man! You really nailed it. Just thought I'd add a link to the best Tweaker demo I've been able to find:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdaXJ85Am9w
Fender American Vintage '62 Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Custom
TC Electronic Polytune
Danelectro Blue Paisley
EHX Big Muff Pi w/ Tone Wicker
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
Egnater Tweaker

Quote by Jackal58
Yer pretty fly for a Canadian.
Quote by necrosis1193
I'd love to help contribute; Tell me what you want me to give insight to, and I'll get to work on a review of my Blues Junior.

A blues junior review would be great. PM it to me when you're done
Quote by AcousticMirror

fender blues jr
vht special 6
jca picovalve
kustom the defender 5
epipone valve sr
Fender Pro unior
Vox AC15C1

yep

I didn't know you'd picked up a special 6?

I can do a review of the special 6 if you wish- i can certainly do the colour-coded bit, anyway
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by ChrisBW

i agree with this here
Gibson RawPower SG 2009 (Zales)
Gibson Hummingbird 70's? (Amy)
Jet City JCA 20 Watt Combo
Dunlop Crybaby wah
MXR 10 Band EQ
Ibanez TS-9
I dont agree with the chart.

I wouldnt say the VJ had bad cleans, at all.
The champs crunch is practically non existant, it just farts through the speaker.
AC4s cleans are nice.
And im guessing youve got the laneys the wrong way around, the VC is better for cleans and crunch, the LCs better at distortion and deffinately has more potential for metal than the VC.
Quote by Dave_Mc
yep

I didn't know you'd picked up a special 6?

I can do a review of the special 6 if you wish- i can certainly do the colour-coded bit, anyway

that'd be awesome, pm me with a review if you get the chance
will do, or i can just post it in here and then you can copy it to one of your reserved posts?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
ok, the colour coded thing:

i'd say yellow for cleans (though it has little headroom), yellow for crunch, yellow for distortion (assuming you mean classic rock-style distortion), and red for metal and metal with boost.

review: It's a fender-based amp- the preamp is based on a fixed TMB blackface tonestack, with a footswitchable boost to partially bypass some of the tonestack for a warmer, hotter (tweedier?) tone. For the money, it's hard to complain- handwired, footswitchable boost, triode/pentode operation, 4/8/16 ohm speaker jacks, high and low input jacks. I have the combo version.

Pros:

- It sounds pretty Fendery, especially with Fender-style single coils, it has a nice warm bouncy tone.
- Takes pedals pretty well (though not as well as a valve junior).
- Very touch-responsive.
- Cleans and crunch tones are very nice indeed for the money.
- Handwired (if that means anything; it certainly makes it easier to mod if you're that way inclined, though if you don't know what you're doing, bear in mind you can DIE if you open an amp up, so don't do it).
- Lots of features for the price, and they're all pretty useful and don't make it feel or sound like a non-vintage amp.
- The boost is almost like having two styles of Fender amp- blackface (boost off) and tweed (boost on).
- Can take most octal output valves (though I haven't tried this myself, and in the combo version it looks like the speaker might be in the way of larger octal output valves) for a change in tone.

Cons:

- There's a fair bit of background noise
- Very little clean headroom, even with low output single coils, and the volume knob taper is very abrupt (it's overdriven by 9-o'clock on the volume control with most pickups) while the knob itself is a bit loose
-Triode mode sounds very different to pentode, with a lot less gain and sparkle- you can't really use triode mode to get the cranked-up tone at lower volumes. Ditto the low input- it lowers the gain, but also the sparkle (which is what I want for cleaner tones).
- Cabinet is supposedly MDF
- Can sound a little harsh when overdriven too hard.
- Ideally might have a little more brightness for the unboosted mode.

Disclaimer: Mine is the only one I've tried, I ordered it without trying it- some of the cons, like the background noise and slightly dodgy volume pot, might not be apparent on all of them (or again, they may be). I simply don't know. That also might sound like a lot of cons- bear in mind I see no point in not being honest, and if all those cons were fixed it'd be almost like the perfect amp, let alone for the money- and it's still very nice for the money even with those cons.

I hope that's not too long.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Aug 10, 2010,
I don't think the JCA deserves a "great" rating for features, seeing as it doesn't have an effects loop.
Quote by rmr024
Well, in California, people carry around devices that control the minds of bears. So expect to see people walking their bears.

Also, don't be surprised if some robot hookers try to solicit sex to you on the streets.
Page 1 of 2