http://www.axetec.co.uk/axetec%20guitar%20parts%20spares%20pickups_090.htm

Which should I get? I'm thinking of either first or last, anyone know how they sound? I play mainly on distortion/overdrive but play some southern rock-kinda songs too.

Also, am I alright using the existing tone pot as a volume pot, or will it change the sound? they're both 500k pots, but one is log and one is linear. I have it up on 10 always anyway, will it make much difference?

Will I be able to wire it up to my existing volume pot and sprague drop cap with Irongear Rolling Mill? Or do I need an active pickup?

Cheers
The items all have descrptions, so see which one sounds most appealing to you. Youtube may also be a good source. They are going to mainly be just like distortion/booster pedals inside the guitar.

A linear pot on a volume pot acts more as a switch.

It just replaces a pot, you take out the old one and solder this in instead. It should work with passives, I'm not sure about actives, although it may, you will need a battery for it.

████████████
████████████

RBY CYOA
Quote by spleenharvester
http://www.axetec.co.uk/axetec%20guitar%20parts%20spares%20pickups_090.htm

Which should I get? I'm thinking of either first or last, anyone know how they sound? I play mainly on distortion/overdrive but play some southern rock-kinda songs too.

Also, am I alright using the existing tone pot as a volume pot, or will it change the sound? they're both 500k pots, but one is log and one is linear. I have it up on 10 always anyway, will it make much difference?

Will I be able to wire it up to my existing volume pot and sprague drop cap with Irongear Rolling Mill? Or do I need an active pickup?

Cheers

i recommend a boost/eq preamp kind of pedal that doesn't add any distortion. i wouldn't recommend a rotary switch, because those are too hard to select.

you can use the tone pot as a volume pot. although audio (logarithmic) taper is better for the function.

you can wire it with all that stuff. it does not have to be active. i think passive pickups will get more benefits from these active electronics anyway.

from my experience, i don't really like active electronics. i've tried a bunch, and now i only have a volume and a tone knob on my guitars.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by MonkeyLink07
The items all have descrptions, so see which one sounds most appealing to you. Youtube may also be a good source. They are going to mainly be just like distortion/booster pedals inside the guitar.

A linear pot on a volume pot acts more as a switch.

It just replaces a pot, you take out the old one and solder this in instead. It should work with passives, I'm not sure about actives, although it may, you will need a battery for it.

That's the main problem, there's no videos or audio clips anywhere, for all I know it could sound terrible hopefully someone on the forum has one.

And damn, do I need a new volume pot too then? Shame really, this one's been DOA, I had to fit it though 'cause I had a concert coming up in 2 days time, no time to return/replace.

It looks like the kit comes with a stereo jack and a battery clip, so I should be good to go, save the battery.

Is it still alright with a 500k volume pot?

EDIT: @above, thanks for the comment, did you try the axetec ones? I'm not sure if I should get them instead of my DS1, which isn't as good as I thought it'd be.
Last edited by spleenharvester at Aug 9, 2010,
Wait I just realised, how the hell is this gonna work? On my tone pot, the cap connects to the volume, as does the ground, where does audio out go to?

I followed a schematic recommended to me, I can't see how it could be wrong, even though the tone pot does very little.
first, what guitar is this going into? also, do you have experience with electronics and its guts?
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
It's a modified Liberty L106GX, which has an Irongear Rolling Mill, 1 Volume and 1 Tone - it does have a second pickup I can't remember the name of but I can't afford to replace the damaged electronics, I never liked the pickup anyway.

I've done lotsa guitar work before, however I've always had issues with wiring schematics - people recommend them to me and half the time they just don't seem to work properly.