So my bands wanting to start giging and I was wondering, Do you HAVE to cover songs to get a gig? (like 2 or 3 songs) I wouldnt think you'd have too, but my drummer seems to think we wont beable to get a gig without covering songs.. does it really make a difference?
For your sake I hope heaven & hell are really there, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Guitar & skateboarding. Do what you want.
No you don't have to cover songs.. Actually playing your own stuff just makes you more popular; BUT, covering famous songs WILL get the crowd to like you more.
It depends on the kind of band and type of show, but no, you don't have to have a cover.

If you're young and this is your first couple of shows, covers are a good way to make people watch your band (because they sure don't know your songs) and a good way to practice as a band and being on stage.

Figure, you have about 30 minutes, that's 7-8 songs. Throwing a Blink-182 song in the middle (4th or 5th) shouldn't hurt.
Awesome! thank you guys for the imput
For your sake I hope heaven & hell are really there, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

There are a couple of places that will ask you if you can throw a cover or two in your set, but for the most part, it's not completely necessary.

Though I'd advise you do play a cover, as a crowd pleaser I guess. It'll grab their attention and allow them to really get into your set with something familiar. This was they'll listen to you're original songs with a bit more attention. which is what you want, unless you're a cover band.
It's fine to do 2 or 3 covers in a gig for an original band, but any more than that is really pushing it. Often people before their first original band gig start wanting to do more covers than is appropriate because they don't feel like their originals are good enough. This usually stems from the fact that playing covers is a bit more personal - if someone criticises the songs you're more likely to take it to heart due to the amount of work you've put into the songs.

You don't want to be sucked into the idea that it's ok to do half/half. It will alienate the audience and the people who hired you. Are they a cover band or an original band?
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
I don't think it's a bad idea but it's certainly not neccesary. A local thrash band in my area managed to pick up a pretty large following after their first gig. Sure, they were fantastic but they also played some Metallica covers which helped.
Quote by the_white_bunny
your just a simpleton that cant understand strategy apparently.

Quote by the_white_bunny
all hail king of the penis sucking(i said balls. you said dick for some reason?) Isabiggles
playing raining blood if your a metal band. then follow up with cowboys from hell. people will watch you.
Quote by AlanHB
Are they a cover band or an original band?

Original

Quote by jimihendrix6699
playing raining blood if your a metal band. then follow up with cowboys from hell. people will watch you.

This could have a good or bad effect. This applies to doing popular songs to cover from any genre. Some people might go "Well I've never heard a band do this one before " But some might enjoy hearing a familiar tune. You will be compared to the original, which, if you play very well, you'll get a positive response, but if you do it badly or just alright, it'll bore people.
Surprisingly the band my band "supported" (by which I mean played 2 songs then got kicked off cos the venue was a dive) actually got paid less apparently because they did covers. (though I think this was partially to do with how much of a ****in' dive the venue was, they were just being tight).

You don't have to play covers at all. You might get gigs a little easier doing covers as it allows venues to identify what you do straight away, but usually it doesn't matter too much about whether or not you do originals.
Quote by Alexi_hammett
Original

Well then keep covers to a minimum
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
depends if you are playing blues it will end up mostly being covers with a little of your own stuff.
anything else there is mastercard.
nah anything else it should be your own content.
Quote by element4433
One time I watched a dog lick his own dick for twenty minutes.

Quote by Roc8995
No.

Well, technically it could be done, but only in the same way that you could change a cat into a hamburger. It's an unpleasant process, and nobody is happy with the result.