Page 1 of 2
Stop hovering and get in here.

Congratulations!
16 people out of around 50 managed to finish the challenge that was to write and record an album in 30 days.

For all of the regular UG'ers, I would like for you to listen to as many of the albums as you want/can and review them. The way you review it is up to you.
But the minimum I would like is a paragraph and then mention your favourite stand-out track.

Enjoy, these guys have worked very hard!

GezzyEDIT - Mods: any chance of stickying this for a week or two to help showcase the efforts please?

JackWhite333 - The Hubble Space Telescopes

rockfan7 - Ha Ha Heartbreak

SteveHouse - The Illumination Program EP

perry589 - How Much Is That Demosaur In The Window?

modedude - I Was Told To Do This

GoodCharloteSux - Untitled
Note - album tracks are numbered

sfaune92 - The Assassin

SmElLy KiD - Third Half

necrosis1193 - Stargazer

gallagher2006 - The Spiral

TV-Casualty - Astral Perspectives

cyco_bob56 - Untitled EP

mental_zer0 - Fly Spire

bellymctubs - Unfinished Masterpiece
Note - The Spirit Of The Gods & Through The Mountains, Coldly, Darkly

GezzyDiversion - Northern Rain

lordofthefood1 - The Wisest Wizard

Last edited by GezzyDiversion at Aug 9, 2010,
I finished my album. I just never compiled it and made an art. It is on my page. I don't wish to be entered, but at least acknowledged that 16 people finished their albums.
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Oh 16 people?! And I promised to do detailed reviews?!

Sorry guys, I'll make a (detailed) overall impression of you all, similar to the one Badass UltraMan did on the previous album challenge result thread. I'll start tomorrow, I swear!

STICK THIS, MODS. PLEASE.
ERROR 0x45: Signature not found
^I agree, sticky please.

Quote by ChucklesMginty
I'll pick one at random and review it.

Also I'm totally doing this for August.

Edit: Wait hang on, it's 10 days into August.

I was thinking the same thing. There's no August challenge?

Edit: VThat too.
Last edited by geanes at Aug 9, 2010,
Quote by CoreysMonster
wait, no download links?

SNEAK LINK ATTACK!

http://marconormal.bandcamp.com/
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
@ChucklesMginty & geanes

Running it 2 months in a row would be annoying, I may run one again for September or October, I would love to do it again.

Quote by CoreysMonster
wait, no download links?

I wasn't given many download links
I'll put up a download link if someone wants that. I hope the other submitters will do too!
Wow great job, guys. Ill probably listen to all of these. No joke ! Im a huge supporter of UGers and their music.

Ive got lots of yous on my ipooooood
YELLOWFRIZBEE s FreezerBurn

Stepco's Master
|Colowomble 2016|PSN=yellowfrizbee| + UG Community Radio|
Modedude - I Was Told To Do This

The ambient mood of the first song, Such Echo gives the impression that this will be a slow paced album, but all that is changed in the fast paced guitar work in Day One and I enjoyed the pop-punk influence in Passage Of Time.
The Rush influence is very clear on Near The Edge and I feel Fassa would take to this song with the atmospheric drones in the intro and the mellow outro of drums with reverb; very much an art rock song.
The 2 part epic of Walk/Run starts of with 'Walk'; as the name suggests, a calm into and the bassline keeps the tension while various guitar fills are played. After a pause, 'Run' begins with a drum break followed by a heavy guitar riff reminiscent of Black Sabbath.
All in all, this album is sonic trip from heavy riffs to atmospheric soundscapes.

Standout Track - Walk/Run
perry589 - How Much Is That Demosaur In The Window?

Proceedings start with 'Raptor Attack', a piano based intro that reminds me of 'Music For Airports' era Brian Eno. 'Not As Good As Pter', very much a lounge style piece incorporating that 'Ambient Guitar' loop from Logic/Garage Band that I love so much.
'Triceratops Jousting' is a good interlude with a simple arpeggio which leads into the gloom of 'Playing Catch...', the string section helps add depth to the song. 'Triceratops Free For All' acts as the second interlude that sandwiches 'Playing Catch...'
The piano playing of 'Bibeyhallorum Nomen Nudum ' grabs my attention straight away and the stop start of the drums really gives it a good head nodding feel to it. I also enjoyed the heavy chorus effected guitar playing the jazzy sustained chords. Even though there is not a lot of musical variation in this track, you feel as if you want to listen to it all day.
The closing track, 'Stego Bopping' sounds as if it was recorded on a very old tape machine and is very interesting to listen to.

Stand-out Track: 'Bibeyhallorum Nomen Nudum'
SmElLy KiD - Third Half

The low rumble of 'Bring About' leads straight into of a could be trance anthem that is 'Billowing', the track defiantly benefits from the frequency sweeps and snare build ups.
The piano loop of 'Oracular Tidings' is chilling and think it suits well with the tremolo bass line and off beat drumming.
The volume swells of 'Genuine Sentiment' let you know that you are in for a treat of a song that wouldn't sound out of place in an Ibiza club.
'Wrap Up' does what it says on the tin and wraps up the album with an uplifting chord sequence and well chosen timbres and synth patches.

Standout Track - 'Oracular Tidings'
^Thanks for the review. I might get around to some tomorrow, if I'm not busy.
Also, if you didn't notice, 'Wrap up" was made from synths from the other songs on the album.
A polar bear came to talk to me the other day....
...But then I realized...
...I don't own a coat, let alone firecrackers

Visit my Soundcloud, OR SUFFER.
necrosis1193 - Stargazer

The album opener '2984' successfully combines a effects treated house loop with rock guitar, in particular show casing the guitarist's unison bends and finger tapping chops. The funk inspired 'Kickstart' also follows on with the house theme and minimalistic guitar approach in the slow sections before utilising the blues pentatonic in the solo.
'Truck Monkey' begins with another bass synth loop before the Van Halen-esque trill brings us into the main section with violins. The introduction of a new riff at 1:20 is something I think should have been used more in the song but works well where it is.
The jazzy feel of 'The Groovy Song' conjours up images of a smoky downtown New York club with the bluesy guitar solos and the walking bassline.
The album's epic, 'Indomitus Formositas' is an 8 minute piano improv that reminds me of early Brian Eno, but I feel it affects the flow of the album.
'Goodnight, take two' has a nice lullaby feel to it and the soulful guitar compliments it nicely.
'Radio Wanker' is a fast paced NIN sounding sound with the synth loop and heavy blues inspired guitar lead work and great use of the samples at the end of the song!

Standout track - 'Radio Wanker'
gallagher2006 - The Spiral

I had high hopes from Mr. Gallagher after 'Hypnotic Love' and I haven't been disappointed.
'Prelude' is a good introduction to this album, it leads straight into 'The Start Of Something' which is very upbeat, catchy and a memorable chorus. I particularly enjoyed the Whammy pedal in the solo.
A heartfelt 'A Love Interest' has a good guitar melody and the lyrics have a good structure to them.
The finger-picked acoustic ballad 'Pentobarbital' has a folky tinge to it with the ghostly vocals and the enjoyed the brief guitar solo, flash...without the dash.
'The Girl Who Broke Her Own Heart ' utilises some irregular chords and benefits from it combined with the driving pace of the drums and eighth-note bass playing; Once again, beautiful lyrics.
I must admit, I laughed at the message at the start of 'The Joker', I like the melody on the vibes/electric keyboard....I cannot work it out.
The album centre-piece and title track begins with sustained hammond organ and slowly builds up into a guitar frenzy with multiple vocal tracks echoing all around.
'Descent' is a brief musical interlude that brings the mood down to end on the last song.
'The End Of Nothing' is an acoustic ballad, beautifully written and nothing technical; rounds of the album nicely.

Standout Track - 'The Start Of Something'
Wow, great stuff. Count me in for the next one!
One day met a and he was all like because he had
never met a before. I told about the powers that this
possessed and he proceeded to it for its magical meat.
Then died. The End.
SteveHouse

To begin with, I will say that I am not that fond of Electronic music, but you impressed me positively! Furthermore, the dramatic talking on Track 1 blends great with the music. There is one thing I don't understand, however, and that is why you state that the tracks are "unmixed" when the mix sounds fine to me. Might be my headset though, or my lack of knowlegde about electronic music. Futhermore, the quick shredding-like melodies on "Hoth on Fire" are great; you must have one creative mind to come up with such! I don't have much more to say really; basically, you're really great at making electronic music, and I've got nothing to complain about either. This is the kind of electronic music that I actually like, and you made me curious about checking out more stuff similar to this! Great Work, SteveHouse; electronic music requires talent after all, talent which you definately have got! In addition, ending the album with such an epic as "Lumens" is just evil; I want more!

Stand out track: "A Call to Hands"

One little question? What's that piano program you're using in the beginning of "A Call to Hands? And is it a VST?
Last edited by sfaune92 at Aug 10, 2010,
rockfan7

Firstly, when "The Clock and His Hands " kicked in, I thought this was going to be some kind of electronic-music-with-guitar deal, but how was I surprised! Vocals weren't particularly great, but they fitted quite good anyway. Furthermore, I like your sound, and your drum sound when the realistic drums kick in. However, I found the music a bit chaotic. There is one thing with the vocals, however, and that is the fact that I can't decipher every word completely. You should work a bit on that.

Later, when "Richard Fix Said 'Butterflies Burn In Stomach Acid'" started playing, I expected a happy feel-good song. However, that expectation went away when the verse kicked in. Bear in mind that not being predictable is a good thing, too! In addition, I love the usage and the presence of the bass, being a bassist myself. You should step away a few inches from your mic a bit; the vocal clips at several points of this song. The guitar solo was great man, but a bit short.

The Intro on "I Haven't Spelt 'Very' Wrong Since You Corrected Me (If That Means Anything)" was really fantastic man! With the piano, strings, and the other synths going on. The drums and bass conplimented it great when they entered the song. You should focus more on instrumental stuff like this, you master it quite well! However, you should be careful while mixing the tracks; it clipped alot around the 3-minute mark.

The next song, "She Is Falling (Feat. ERF)" starts similarly to the previous one, but with a--even--more beautiful melody. Furthermore, the female voice is fantastic! Who is she? I want to check out more of her stuff! The synthwork on this song is very good, indeed. Later, when the drums, bass, and guitars kick in, the song turn into a great rock piece. I like your mix with cliche rock elements and "surprising" elements which is common in Progressive Rock. The ending was quite good.

The funky intro on the following song, "Our Faces In Christmas Colors", is awesome! You really know your ways around on the bass guitar. The rest of the song follow the same ideas. Being funky, that is. I keep being awestruck by the use of bass! It was a tad bit short though.

The next one, "Moving From Common Ground", follow the same funky path as the song prior to this one. How do you get that bass tone? Also, that bassline is badass. This track is allright, but--again--a bit short.

The following track, "Dinosaurs, Falling, And Windows" is a short introduction track for the final track, "Love Dies (Get Used To It)". This track features the same vocals as the first few tracks did. While not being as good as ERF's vocals, it is decent nonetheless. Furthermore, it compliment the calm piano very well, and even better when the guitars kick in. Your vocals add a feeling of anger and desperation to the song. However, around the four-minute mark, there was a sudden end in the song, which I feel was a bit rushed.

As a conclusion, I will say that it was a good album. However, you should have mixed it better in some parts where it tends to clip. The usage of bass, guitar, drums, and various synths were good, indeed. The vocals on the other hand, could have been better. ERF is exempt to that statement though; she did great!

Stand out track: "She Is Falling (Feat. ERF)"
GezzyDiversion

The album starts off with Leaving Today, which is a straight up rock song with a funky wah-pedal intro. Even though it's a straight up rock piece, this song has some kind of originallity to it, which is great. The ussage of bass, while not being exceptional, is above-average decent. I like it very much though. The solo at around 2:30 is great; I really love your love low gain tone. The drums, however, could have been better. The song finish with it's awesome chorus and it's great main riff. Good song, indeed!

The following, Sky Comes Falling, starts off with a cool acoustic riff. However, using the built in mic on the acoustic is no good idea. The verse riff is great; it compliments the vocals a lot. I miss the bass's presense on this song. The "shreddy" parts are surprisingly fitting with the vocals, great work! I like the transmition between the chorus and the outro solo. Great song!

The next song The Bliss is a short acoustic piece. However, this song is not very interesting, but as far as acoustic song can go. Also, your vocals seemed off key here. You should work on that. The outro part on the other hand, was quite cool.

The short acoustic piece is followed by Fading Away, which starts off with a happy, major rock riff. This rock song is complimented with a great chorus, and some cool semi-overdriven riffs. I like this song's bassline. After the second chorus it goes into a short bridge and then into a Classic Rock-like solo. A quite cool solo indeed. This song finishes off with it's awsome chorus slowly fading out. (coincidence huh?)

The fifth track, Summers Night begins with an acosutic Rock riff. That verse keep reminding me of something, but I can't put my finger on it. Contrasting with the other acoustic song, this one is actually very interesting. Also, I can somewhat relate to some of these lines. The electric solo put the dot above the 'i'. Again, great work! I really love the part after the solo, and that harmonic solo was 'eargasmic'!

It is followed by the final track, The End Is Nigh, which start off with a really fantastic lead melody over some acoustic playing. I have to repeat this, that lead melody is really great. This song really gives the "Oh shit! Is it all over now? There's so much more I could've have done!"-kind of feel. It brought a few tears in my eyes, which is a good thing, right? That you could keep it interesting for almost four minutes is a great thing, considering how simple it really is. Great Work!

All in all, these tracks were great. The only thing that I could complain about is the drums and the vocals being off key during The Bliss, and the drums being a bit "weak". That aside, this was a great album! My favorite so far.

Stand out track: The End Is Nigh
gallagher2006

This album starts out with a prelude, simply called Prelude. It consist by a continuous string note backed up by a piano. It slowly dies out and leads into the "Asian-sounding" intro of The Start of Something. The intro is slowly bringing forth a rock riff, which is great! The vocals that enters at 0:35 could be a bit louder, but that sort itself out after 10 second or so. It is already evident that this album has a more rocked kind of fell, rather than the more ambient and acoustic album he made for the previous album challenge. To be honest, I will say that I am really fond of the chorus. Some, while not all, bass parts are quite good. This song concludes with it's awesome chorus.

The following track, A Love Interest, starts out with a simple Rock drum beat, which is soon covered with a few layers of guitars. The intro lead is great, and kicks soon into the verse, which is quite catchy. There is not much more to say about this song; it is a straight up Rock song with lyrics about love. There is one thing, however, and that is the absence of bass.

Track four, Pentobarbital, is a more athmospheric acoustic piece. The song is great, except from the fact that it only has a length of two minutes. After it is done, it leads straight into The Girl Who Broke Her Own Heart, which has an intro that reminded me of the Goldeneye video game for a few seconds. It turned out quite good after a short while though. The vocals are very nice on this track. Great work! However, I am not quite fond of the drums and the absence of bass. This and the previous track reminds me of your previous effort, Hypnotic Love. I liked that album very much, so that's not a bad thing.

The track concludes and the sampled telephone call from The Joker shows up. The telephone call is shortly replaced by a quite cool riff and the first verse. You should make the bass more present; you have great basslines! I really love the synth work too. The harmonies appear a bit dissonant at times, but it's not that big of a deal. The "growling" is also a quite cool effect. Furthermore, the solo was great, but a bit short in my opinion. All in all, it's a good song.

It is followed by the title track, The Spiral, which starts off with a lot of laughter, a drum beat, and some organ. I didn't like that part much, but it stopped and turned into an awesome part instead. This track bear resemblance to Hypnotic Love as well, which, again, is great. This track, however, is really proggy. The part around 3:30 is "eargasmic". In other words, awesome. The synth riff at 4:25 is also awesome. You have really put a lot of effort into this. Disregard my comment on your profile; this is my favorite!

When the leads cut short, the song starts and athmospheric parts which embraces the next rack, Descent. This track is quite cool, but rather short to be honest. The fact it was short was a let down, this track called for something really great to come.

The final track, The End of Nothing, is a calm acoustic piece with a lead here and there as well as harmonized vocals, which sound nice. The double tracked lead at 1:25 complimented the acoustic playing well. This is an all right, but short, piece. Just as the previous track, it ends after a build up.

All in all, you keep impressing me, as well as many other people on these forums. You have done great yet again!

Stand out track: The Spiral
Quote by sfaune92
SteveHouse

There is one thing I don't understand, however, and that is why you state that the tracks are "unmixed" when the mix sounds fine to me. Might be my headset though, or my lack of knowlegde about electronic music.

One little question? What's that piano program you're using in the beginning of "A Call to Hands? And is it a VST?

and again for doing all these reviews.

By "unmixed" I mean it's just a rough render, and I never had time to mix the thing down properly with ducking and EQ automation and all that. I made sure to do my favorites, because I wanted them to sound best Odd that you like that Call to Hands piece of cheese though And the piano synth is the one that Garageband has. It's really the best I've used; I've yet to come across a freeware piano VSTi that isn't total pish.

If you liked the sheer speed of Hoth, listen to Alex Szahala, DJ RX, Grimsoul, Sam One, pretty well anybody on the FiNRG/Hybridize labels.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

ERF is my sister just so you all know, she has been singing for 12 more years then me and takes lessons at college, so don't be hatin' on my 2 years of it and my little kid voice
Quote by rockfan7
ERF is my sister just so you all know, she has been singing for 12 more years then me and takes lessons at college, so don't be hatin' on my 2 years of it and my little kid voice

I wasn't bashing your voice; you just need a bit of practice, that's all. I was actually admiring her vocals.
Quote by geanes
Your album is amazing man. Seriously.

Quote by GezzyDiversion
necrosis1193 - Stargazer

The album opener '2984' successfully combines a effects treated house loop with rock guitar, in particular show casing the guitarist's unison bends and finger tapping chops. The funk inspired 'Kickstart' also follows on with the house theme and minimalistic guitar approach in the slow sections before utilising the blues pentatonic in the solo.
'Truck Monkey' begins with another bass synth loop before the Van Halen-esque trill brings us into the main section with violins. The introduction of a new riff at 1:20 is something I think should have been used more in the song but works well where it is.
The jazzy feel of 'The Groovy Song' conjours up images of a smoky downtown New York club with the bluesy guitar solos and the walking bassline.
The album's epic, 'Indomitus Formositas' is an 8 minute piano improv that reminds me of early Brian Eno, but I feel it affects the flow of the album.
'Goodnight, take two' has a nice lullaby feel to it and the soulful guitar compliments it nicely.
'Radio Wanker' is a fast paced NIN sounding sound with the synth loop and heavy blues inspired guitar lead work and great use of the samples at the end of the song!

Standout track - 'Radio Wanker'

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the kind words. Might have to sigquote some of the praise as well, nothing helps interest like a good word... Also, Steve, if I do a review of your EP, could you do one of my album? C4C?

Quote by necrosis1193
Thanks guys, I really appreciate the kind words. Might have to sigquote some of the praise as well, nothing helps interest like a good word... Also, Steve, if I do a review of your EP, could you do one of my album? C4C?

Sure. Just need to give me a while and poke me. I'm unable at the moment, will be later tonight, but will undoubtedly forget if left to my own devices.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Quote by SteveHouse
Sure. Just need to give me a while and poke me. I'm unable at the moment, will be later tonight, but will undoubtedly forget if left to my own devices.

Sounds good to me. Will have yours up either later tonight or sometime tomorrow afternoon.

^ Do you know that today is the tenth day of August?

Also, I am probably not taking part in the next one. The chance is even lower if you chose to have a new one in September.
Quote by sfaune92

Also, I am probably not taking part in the next one. The chance is even lower if you chose to have a new one in September.

Deffo no September for me. Part of the draw of July is that it's during the summer months, when the average UGer is out of school.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Agreed, I'm not going to be in if it's in September; I want a breather. Some people like Jackwhite333 could do that. I can't.

One day.....ONE DAY I'll finish this fucking album...

Congrats to all who did, though. You're all better musicians than I.
Don't worry; you're one of the TWELVE ****ING PEOPLE I still have (forced myself) to review.

Bear in mind that forcing myself is a good thing; I am a horrible procrastinator.
Quote by JackWhite333
I want a (negative) review too! lol

Dude you suck!

BOOOOOOOOOOO, DO FREEBIRD
Page 1 of 2