really, two somethings that relate to each other,

1. time dilation. according to wiki the amount of time a a round trip will take relative to the observer is t = 2d / v where t=time, d=distance, and v=velocity. the part I don't get - v = d/t right? seems like a circular definition to me

2. flowing from time dilation - if you move at the speed of light time stops... this implies to me that if your velocity was the speed of light then it would take absolutely no time to move from one point in space to the next. if you are not moving through time at the speed of light then velocity would equal distance divided by zero... and nothing can go into anything infinitely, therefore your velocity is infinite.

this is seriously fucking with my head, could someone explain this to me? and please don't go too terribly crazy with the math. I can take some stuff, but not a 5 inch string of numbers mixed with symbols I don't know the meaning of (I didn't take anything but algebra 1 so I don't know a lot of stuff. I could understand it but I hate pointless repetition of formulas so I hated math class, so I didn't go advanced with it, but I do like math.)

anyways, some explanation or a link would be cool, as well as any discussion, including the miracle of magnets.
In space, no one can hear you do maths
Quote by Kumanji
How about you don't insult my friend's dead mum, you prick.

Quote by JDawg
Too be he had to be a dick about his crayons.
Congratulations. You have just discovered why travel at the speed of light is impossible.
And why my bank shuts down for a week when I carry a zero balance in my checking account.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
*reported*

It really isn't that hard. Do your homework by yourself.
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
Quote by tubatom868686
A thread JUST like this was just on /b/ you sly dog

That implicates you as a b tard as well.
Quote by tubatom868686
Everyone hates you

No, that's just you. Everyone including yourself apparently.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

If you want to learn about time dilation, look up special realativity first, Lorentz transforms (for observers moving along a same axis). And you can't travel at the speed of light, that's the problem.
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
Quote by seemeel
*reported*

It really isn't that hard. Do your homework by yourself.

He never once mentioned homework. And if it's "not so hard," care to explain to him what he asked?
Quote by seemeel

Oh, god forbid someone go on 4chan...

Peace dude, it was nice talking to you
Quote by The4thHorsemen
really, two somethings that relate to each other,

1. time dilation. according to wiki the amount of time a a round trip will take relative to the observer is t = 2d / v where t=time, d=distance, and v=velocity. the part I don't get - v = d/t right? seems like a circular definition to me

2. flowing from time dilation - if you move at the speed of light time stops... this implies to me that if your velocity was the speed of light then it would take absolutely no time to move from one point in space to the next. if you are not moving through time at the speed of light then velocity would equal distance divided by zero... and nothing can go into anything infinitely, therefore your velocity is infinite.

this is seriously ******g with my head, could someone explain this to me? and please don't go too terribly crazy with the math. I can take some stuff, but not a 5 inch string of numbers mixed with symbols I don't know the meaning of (I didn't take anything but algebra 1 so I don't know a lot of stuff. I could understand it but I hate pointless repetition of formulas so I hated math class, so I didn't go advanced with it, but I do like math.)

anyways, some explanation or a link would be cool, as well as any discussion, including the miracle of magnets.

First thing to realize, is that you can never travel at the speed of light. It's impossible. You simply cannot do it - you can get close, but you won't hit light speed. Second, if you could get close to light speed, time would slow down for you. If you were moving at the speed of light, I don't think time absolutely stops. Look at how long it takes for light to travel from the sun to our planet.
Quote by seemeel

No, that's just you. Everyone including yourself apparently.

I think you're a twat for stealing Dann Blood's avatar.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by Jackal58
I think you're a twat for stealing Dann Blood's avatar.

They're the equivalent of hippies, with all these Dream Theater avatars.
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
Quote by damian_91
If you want to learn about time dilation, look up special realativity first, Lorentz transforms (for observers moving along a same axis). And you can't travel at the speed of light, that's the problem.

Travel at the speed of light is possible, the problem is that if an object has zero rest-mass (main problem) would require an infinite amount of energy to accelerate to that speed (secondary problem).

If you do believe in special relativity there are several string theories that postulate the ability to locate and ride particles already accelerated to the speed of light.

Unfortunately causality and absolute relativity must be abandoned to make this possible. If you're looking into dilation of time there are regions of space that are "warped" and believed to harbor faster than light particle actually moving forward in time, unlike tachyons.

HAPPY PHYSIC-ing or something lol
"You can drink an ugly chick hot, but you can’t drink a fat chick skinny."

Fender: HSS Stratocaster

Modulus: 1991 Q5

Peavey:158BASS
Marshall: MG30FDX
Acoustic: B200
Quote by T.s.e
We have a physics thread now

holy shit, since when?

also, no, it's not for homework, i just like to think about stuff like this.

if the speed of light is impossible, then how does light travel at that speed?
Ive been thinking about our ideas on space and time a lot lately. Isnt it kind of bold for us to say that nothing in the entire infinite universe can exceed the speed of light when we ourselves have never even been beyond our moon?
Quote by The4thHorsemen
holy shit, since when?

also, no, it's not for homework, i just like to think about stuff like this.

if the speed of light is impossible, then how does light travel at that speed?

It wears a helmet and takes the short bus.

Real answer is light isn't matter.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Ok well ill take a whack at it. The faster something goes, the slower time passes.

If you are in a ship going Speed of Light then time outside of the ship will seem to go faster.

Even at substantially lower speeds than speed of light. The satellites that we use for gps actually fly fast enough that the clocks on them must be set differently.

Light itself still takes an incredibly long amount of time to travel through the universe. While traveling at light speed will make your perception of time outside of the ship faster over time you will still age.

Fly at the speed of light and come back to earth after a year of flying at the speed of light and time will have advanced on earth more than 2 years.
Quote by americnidiot
He never once mentioned homework. And if it's "not so hard," care to explain to him what he asked?

I learned this over the course of Year 12 Physics at high school. To do so properly would take roughly 1 year.

Quote by seemeel
I learned this over the course of Year 12 Physics at high school. To do so properly would take roughly 1 year.

Okay, I get it.

6/10. You had me going for a while, but you didnt make me that mad. Trollharder next time