Alright, so I'm looking for a Whammy Pedal, I currently have about $150, and I'm not looking to spend more than that. I need something that can Dive Bomb and go at least two octaves up, and it definitely needs to have a Treadle. Other than that, I don't really care about the harmonizer or whatever other special things it may have.

So, any suggestions? So far I've only tried out the current version of the Digitech Whammy, and I liked it but I've heard the Treadle screws up after a while, can anyone comment on that?
Gear:
Guitars: ESP/LTD EC-400, Ibanez GRX20, Washburn D-10 M/TWR
Amp: Peavey Vypyr 75
Pedals: Digitech Whammy, Boss DS-1, Boss CH-1, Sanpera I

YDG!?
I'm pretty sure it's the only whammy option unless you wanna go rack, which will make a much larger dent in your pocket. But I say save up and get the 20th Anniversary one because it's ****ing chrome.
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

Lol you don't really have much alternatives to digitech. Boss have a pitch shifter thing but its not even in an expression pedal package and i doubt its any better.
Or... you could not get the chrome one and save $100. I see the regular one online for about $150 now. There's nothing special about the chrome one other than it being chrome.

I was really close to ordering one until I read the pitch shifter on the M13 is better.
I have a huge fear if rays.
Because the Whammy uses tracking to pitchshift, the tracking gets screwed up after a while, not the treadle. Easy fix to, just recalibrate it by following the instructions. (Mine did this)

Try to get one used, that'll save a bit of cash as well.
Quote by ChrisBW
Or... you could not get the chrome one and save $100. I see the regular one online for about $150 now. There's nothing special about the chrome one other than it being chrome.

I was really close to ordering one until I read the pitch shifter on the M13 is better.

Do you need something else about it to be special..? How bout the fact that it doubles as a mirror? It's versatile!
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

Quote by ChrisBW

The Chrome one will probably shoot up in value once they're out of production.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by ChrisBW

I completely agree. To me, appearance isn't nearly as important as price.

And I looked up the M13, and it's $500. WAY out of my price range...

Quote by Quinlan
Because the Whammy uses tracking to pitchshift, the tracking gets screwed up after a while, not the treadle. Easy fix to, just recalibrate it by following the instructions. (Mine did this)

Try to get one used, that'll save a bit of cash as well.

Good to know, it builds my confidence in the pedal.

I looked for used ones, and with GC/MF pricing them at $150, even eBay is only about $15 cheaper, and honestly I'm willing to pay that just to not have to deal with eBay (been ripped off multiple times there). Plus, GC/MF give free 1 year warranty, which is always nice.

So, unless anyone can suggest something better, it seems like I'll be going with the non-chrome Digitech Whammy...
Gear:

YDG!?
There really isn't anything better for the price. The next best thing would be the EHX Micro Pog for $210. It's less glitchy, can do chords, but is less versatile and doesn't have an expression pedal.
Digitech Whammy it is.
100w Peavey Valveking Head
Mesa Rectifier 4x12 Standard Cab
Ibanez RG 321
Boss DD-7
iSP Decimator x2
BBE Boosta Grande
Modded Crybaby
MXR Blue Box
Numark Power Conditioner
Korg DTR-1000
For what it's worth, I've had my Whammy for about two years now and not once have I had to re-calibrate it.

My Whammy's power supply broke on me once, but I got another one and it's been great ever since.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Quote by Raijouta
The Chrome one will probably shoot up in value once they're out of production.

if you can somehow keep that chrome in perfect condition without a single scratch.

the pedal looks sweet, but it's kind of dumb because of how easily chrome scratches.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Used Whammy is probably you're best bet in that range. If you can save up a bit, an EH Ring Thing w/expression pedal would be way better (more effects and polyphonic Whammy)
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet
Quote by IsThereLoveInSp
Used Whammy is probably you're best bet in that range. If you can save up a bit, an EH Ring Thing w/expression pedal would be way better (more effects and polyphonic Whammy)

oh my god, i just looked up the ring thing, i didnt know it could do that! haha thats awesome

but yeh, for your price-range and needs, i think the whammy is what you need!
Quote by nightraven
i doubt it
chrome is crap, dirt and fingerprints show up and it looks disgusting in no time

True.

TBH there really isn't anything that can do the Whammy as good as a Whammy for less than $200 new. The harmonizing on the Whammy isn't its strong suit at all, the pitch shifting is where it's at.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Quote by Jyrgen
It's actually weird there are no boutique clones of Whammies.

people probably just don't wanna have to wire all of that up. repeatedly.
Quote by Jyrgen
It's actually weird there are no boutique clones of Whammies.

Pitch shifting is a difficult technology to reproduce. Most of the booteek guys only make all-analog products, and a pitch shifter is probably impossible to do in an analog form.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Keep in mind I said 'probably', not 'definitely'.

And besides, that A/DA thing still looks pretty impossible for most boutique builders.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Quote by Raijouta
Pitch shifting is a difficult technology to reproduce. Most of the booteek guys only make all-analog products, and a pitch shifter is probably impossible to do in an analog form.

Ahh of course
I'm willing to bet that the Chrome chips off VERY easily...

I suggest just getting the regular red one.

Or better yet, search on Ebay for an original whammy pedal!
Quote by rmr024
Well, in California, people carry around devices that control the minds of bears. So expect to see people walking their bears.

Also, don't be surprised if some robot hookers try to solicit sex to you on the streets.
Quote by SLonergan
I'm willing to bet that the Chrome chips off VERY easily...

I suggest just getting the regular red one.

Or better yet, search on Ebay for an original whammy pedal!

I've seen a video or two comparing the original one and the current one. There wasn't much difference. Definitely not enough to justify the price unless you're a collector.
I have a huge fear if rays.
you gotta wonder why Digitech has never realesed a Whammy jr with just the pitch shifting side.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Why did they release COD WAW then COD MW2 so closley spaced?
Then what about L4D2? like a year after L4D1...

Just to make more money...
That's all they need...
So that they make people buy the whammy, and people enjoy it, and they can easily suck everyone into that.
The limited amount of experience I've had of the Digitech whammy has been pretty average. Features wise it's all there but the pedal mechanism just isn't the as nice to have under your feet as other leading expression pedals.

That said we've already pointed out they've pretty much got a monopoly on the market. If it's an essential sound to you then buy it.
Quote by ChrisBW
I've seen a video or two comparing the original one and the current one. There wasn't much difference. Definitely not enough to justify the price unless you're a collector.

Sorry, my post was supposed to have a at the end of it...I think people who say the WH1 is far superior are just trying to justify the $500 they spent.
Quote by rmr024
Well, in California, people carry around devices that control the minds of bears. So expect to see people walking their bears.

Also, don't be surprised if some robot hookers try to solicit sex to you on the streets.
Quote by SLonergan
Sorry, my post was supposed to have a at the end of it...I think people who say the WH1 is far superior are just trying to justify the $500 they spent.

This. I've never ever heard any evidence that the original whammy is better. Both have the same tracking problems. Oh yeah, and the new one has a load more features therefore it is better.

It's just the same with everything old in music, anything old as far as gear goes is considered the greatest thing ever and the new stuff 'just ain't the same'. -_-
If I was gonna spend $500, I'd just get a damn Eventide Pitchfactor.
Ended up going with the Digitech WH-4 (the NON-chrome version). Got it for $80 shipped on eBay (I know, great deal, right?).

And for anyone who says the WH-1 is better, you can get the same effect by buying a WH-4, changing its appearance, and throwing $400 under a lawn mower. Because other than the way it looks, I couldn't tell any difference.
Gear:

YDG!?