Im going to build a jcm 800 clone soon and was wondering if extra expensive trannys are worth the money. I was planning on buying MM trannys but between the OT PT and choke it would be around $500. This guy has the most beastly tone iv'e ever heard:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQQmMEpiKXk

and he said he used the ceriatone kit. Im assuming he used their trannys ($180) so im asking whether the huge increase in price would be worth it. What would improve? tone? reliability?

Thanks
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
no, i would say it definitely will not give you any better sound/reliability, at least not equal to the amount you're speaking of spending. Sure, better trannys may last longer, but honestly id just go with the ones that come with the kit. there are honestly better things you can do with the money.
Microsoft Works...there's and oxymoron for you.
yea, the ones that come in the ceriatone kit are 180, but the "premium" trannys from Mercury Megnetics are around 500.
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
MM are way overpriced. There are plenty of brands that give more bang for the buck.
Ceriatone trannies are not great and the transformer in your amp is like the pickup in your guitar. It doesn't matter how good a guitar is, if the pickups suck, then the guitar will sound bad. Well... It doesn't matter how good the amp is, if the tranny is cheap, then it's not gonna sound good. I am a huge fan of the transformers at www.mojotone.com they are built to vintage spec with vintage style materials which, to my ear, sound better than the much more expensive transformers from MM.