Poll: Which one should i buy?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which one should i buy?
Mesa Boogie Stiletto Deuce Stage 1 w/ Mesa cab for 1150$
7 18%
90's triple rec w/ 1960A cab for 1200$
32 82%
Voters: 39.
EDIT:

A Mark 3 just came up for 700$ and 1200$ how are those?

http://austin.craigslist.org/msg/1890366091.html

http://austin.craigslist.org/msg/1890855337.html

okay so its down to

A Mesa Boogie Stiletto Deuce Stage 1 and Mesa cab for 1150$

or a 2 channel triple recto and marshal 1960 cab for 1200$

Also wat is the difference between the stage 1 and 2 of the Mesa Boogie Stiletto Deuce and What amp relates mostly to the Stilletto deuce ( in Mesa boogie line of amps)?

Thanks!
Quote by MatrixClaw
anyway, i must be off, my gf says we gotta go cause i poked her and now she's bleeding

Quote by BobDetroit
The real question is why the **** are you talking to your mom about a Mesa?What the hell did you think she was going to say?"No dear, I prefer Dual Rec tone?!"
Last edited by Aashraya at Aug 10, 2010,
Quote by kylefurby
I would go with the triple rec/marshall combo. but that's just me

+1
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
I believe Stage 1 sounded more like a Recto with EL34s. The Stage 2 amps are more Marshally, but still have the Mesa vibe.

Honestly, the two channel Rectos were great amps, I'd go for that. The Marshall cab isn't too hot, though. See if you can get him to give you the Recto for $800, and if not, sell the Marshall cab later on for a Mesa.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by kylefurby
I would go with the triple rec/marshall combo. but that's just me

Could you guys give a reason?

Pros & cons list or something.
Quote by MatrixClaw
anyway, i must be off, my gf says we gotta go cause i poked her and now she's bleeding

Quote by BobDetroit
The real question is why the **** are you talking to your mom about a Mesa?What the hell did you think she was going to say?"No dear, I prefer Dual Rec tone?!"
Quote by Raijouta
I believe Stage 1 sounded more like a Recto with EL34s. The Stage 2 amps are more Marshally, but still have the Mesa vibe.

Honestly, the two channel Rectos were great amps, I'd go for that. The Marshall cab isn't too hot, though. See if you can get him to give you the Recto for $800, and if not, sell the Marshall cab later on for a Mesa.

I think the mesa cab might be a bit too heavy for me.

The Marshall is like 80 pounds while the mesa is 100 pounds.

Although i would prefer the Mesa. Does it sound that much better?
Quote by MatrixClaw

Quote by BobDetroit
Yes.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Quote by Raijouta
Yes.

haha love you answer :P

Anyways any specifics?

P.S Its not a OS mesa cab.
Quote by MatrixClaw

Quote by BobDetroit
If I were you I'd get the Triple Recto and Marshall 1960 cab. I've got a Series 1 Single Recto running through a Marshall 1960 cab and I think it sounds awesome. I know some people are sayin to get the matching Mesa cab but you should really try one first. Personally I don't like Celestion Vintage 30's (that come in the Mesa cab) and I think my Single Recto sounds better with the Celestion G12T-75s that come in the Marshall 1960 cabs. It's just a personal preference thing there. Don't get the Mesa cab just because people tell you to. Use the one YOU think sounds the best.
Quote by zakkwyldefan79
If I were you I'd get the Triple Recto and Marshall 1960 cab. I've got a Series 1 Single Recto running through a Marshall 1960 cab and I think it sounds awesome. I know some people are sayin to get the matching Mesa cab but you should really try one first. Personally I don't like Celestion Vintage 30's (that come in the Mesa cab) and I think my Single Recto sounds better with the Celestion G12T-75s that come in the Marshall 1960 cabs. It's just a personal preference thing there. Don't get the Mesa cab just because people tell you to. Use the one YOU think sounds the best.

I will. Thanks! I think the Marshal i'm getting might be loaded with V30s i dont excatly know
Quote by MatrixClaw

Quote by BobDetroit
votes have been pretty unanimous. Any other thoughts?
Quote by MatrixClaw

Quote by BobDetroit
Go with the Recto, its far better then the Stage 1 Deuce. If it was a Stage 2, it would be more even. The Stage 1's lack gain compared to a Recto or Stage 2. Since your looking at these amps, I'm guessing your looking to play metal of some type. The Triple is a very good metal amp, especially the 2 channel version, which are generally regarded as better then the newer 3 channel versions. It beats the Stage 1's, and IMO a Stage 2 Stilleto.
Gear:
Ernie Ball MusicMan JP7
Schecter Hellraiser 006
Mesa Boogie Road King s.2
Mesa Boogie 4x12 Recto cab

Ibanez Keeley TS-9
TC Electronics G-Force
Amp Gizmo
Voodoo Labs GCX
Voodoo Labs Ground Control Pro
Quote by fbeckinsale
Go with the Recto, its far better then the Stage 1 Deuce. If it was a Stage 2, it would be more even. The Stage 1's lack gain compared to a Recto or Stage 2. Since your looking at these amps, I'm guessing your looking to play metal of some type. The Triple is a very good metal amp, especially the 2 channel version, which are generally regarded as better then the newer 3 channel versions. It beats the Stage 1's, and IMO a Stage 2 Stilleto.

Haha yea i heard the 2 ch was a lot better also. Thanks for the info on the deuce.

Well sadly, i'm not only playing metal. I didnt get a chance to really play with the amp but got like 20 minutes with it and it sounded really good. I seriously cant wait to get my hand on it. Although i'm going to try to trade it for a dual rec instead(2 channel of course) .

I think i'll stick to trying to get the 90's recto. Gotta wait till summer ends sadly
Quote by MatrixClaw

Quote by BobDetroit
the normal non OS recto cab( the now stilleto cab) is 104 lbs btw

Two channel recto.
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
Quote by mexican_shred
the normal non OS recto cab( the now stilleto cab) is 104 lbs btw

Two channel recto.

Quote by Aashraya
I think the mesa cab might be a bit too heavy for me.

The Marshall is like 80 pounds while the mesa is 100 pounds.

Although i would prefer the Mesa. Does it sound that much better?

ah yea i know. thanks for the info though. I'm going to stick with the recto and 1960A cab. than maybe if its too my liking i'll upgrade to a Mesa cab.
Quote by MatrixClaw

Quote by BobDetroit
Quote by SwampAshSpecial
for a more british sound, I'd go stiletto - it also has better leads, however for extra gain, better rhythm tone and more american sound, triple rec. For example PERSONALLY, all things considered I would rather have the stiletto, but many would disagree.

hmm, i guess i should just go try the stiletto out. Only thing that bugs me (which is not that important) about the stiletto is the black skin it has. It looks so weird.
Quote by MatrixClaw

Quote by BobDetroit
Quote by MatrixClaw

Quote by BobDetroit
Quote by Aashraya

Mark III are good amps, more classic metal voiced, compared to the modern voicings of Recto's and Mark IV and V's(think Metallica's Master of Puppets vs Rammstein's Mutter, in terms of guitar tone). Their biggest drawback is the channels share tone controls. Not all of them, I forget which controls are shared, but it does limit versatility, IMO. I prefer separate controls.

EDIT: the $700 one is a Blue strip, it has the most aggressive preamp gain of all the strips, making it better for metal. That a good deal for it. The other one doesnt say which strip it is.
Gear:
Ernie Ball MusicMan JP7
Schecter Hellraiser 006

Ibanez Keeley TS-9
TC Electronics G-Force
Amp Gizmo
Voodoo Labs GCX
Last edited by fbeckinsale at Aug 10, 2010,
Quote by fbeckinsale
Mark III are good amps, more classic metal voiced, compared to the modern voicings of Recto's and Mark IV and V's(think Metallica's Master of Puppets vs Rammstein's Mutter, in terms of guitar tone). Their biggest drawback is the channels share tone controls. Not all of them, I forget which controls are shared, but it does limit versatility, IMO. I prefer separate controls.

EDIT: the $700 one is a Blue strip, it has the most aggressive preamp gain of all the strips, making it better for metal. That a good deal for it. The other one doesnt say which strip it is.

oh cool thanks! Yea i prefer separate EQ too. Hmmm... i think i'm going to pass on this one.
Quote by MatrixClaw

Quote by BobDetroit
Quote by Aashraya
oh cool thanks! Yea i prefer separate EQ too. Hmmm... i think i'm going to pass on this one.

Certain stripes do better than others with the shared tone controls. You can read about them here: http://homepage.mac.com/mesaboogie/dot.html

I believe the blue or red stripe will sound great with shared controls.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Quote by Raijouta
Certain stripes do better than others with the shared tone controls. You can read about them here: http://homepage.mac.com/mesaboogie/dot.html

I believe the blue or red stripe will sound great with shared controls.

oooo thanks for the link.
Quote by MatrixClaw

Quote by BobDetroit
I know a user on UG forums, Holy-Diver, has had several Mark IIIs. He had one purple stripe and then got a red stripe, if I remember correctly... he didn't really like the Purple and found that it was too hard to EQ a good lead and clean sound at the same time, but he never had that problem with the Red.

The Blue stripe being a later revision of the red, should be even better.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Quote by Raijouta
I know a user on UG forums, Holy-Diver, has had several Mark IIIs. He had one purple stripe and then got a red stripe, if I remember correctly... he didn't really like the Purple and found that it was too hard to EQ a good lead and clean sound at the same time, but he never had that problem with the Red.

The Blue stripe being a later revision of the red, should be even better.

i'm acutely really tempted to purchase it. Is the 700$ a normal price for it?
Quote by MatrixClaw

Quote by BobDetroit
$700 is on the low end of average. I'd take it if that's what you're looking for.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
For sure. They're normally around $800 but they can go higher or lower.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
well i've never excatly looked at buying a mark series amp. It just felt like it wasnt the type of amp for me. ( even though i love fiddling with bunch of knobs and such.) I just feel like a rectifier would suit me better.

How do the clean compare with each other. I'm guessing the mark's better but how much better?
Quote by MatrixClaw

Quote by BobDetroit
Quote by Aashraya
well i've never excatly looked at buying a mark series amp. It just felt like it wasnt the type of amp for me. ( even though i love fiddling with bunch of knobs and such.) I just feel like a rectifier would suit me better.

How do the clean compare with each other. I'm guessing the mark's better but how much better?

2 Channel Recto cleans are in the 6505 style, kinda lacking. The newer ones are better but still can't compare to a Mark, IMO. With the shared controls, you may have a hard time getting a good clean and lead tone, which has been said.

Here's a couple demo's of Mark III, one is a blue strip, the other a black.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rbUx8LZgjs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlimy5dg2lM&feature=related
Gear:
Ernie Ball MusicMan JP7
Schecter Hellraiser 006

Ibanez Keeley TS-9
TC Electronics G-Force
Amp Gizmo
Voodoo Labs GCX
Mark series>Rectifiers imo.

Mark series offer the culmination of clean, crunch and lead tones (which you ve heard on countless albums, santana, metallica, dream theater, lamb of god and way more).

The rectifier are supposed to record well, but are always way too muddy/bassy for my tastes. Plus the clean tones are shiite.

Mark series is what made mesa boogie famous (particularly the Mark 2c+, which is easily in the top 5 most legendary amps ever). The mark 3 is what they thought to be an improvement on the mark 2, and the different stripes offer so much variety, that i m pretty sure you d find what you want.

The red stripe and blue stripe seem to be the closest to the Mark 2C+ making them the best for metally type tones, while still offering an amazing dream theateresque type crunch, AND an amazing clean tone.
My Gear
-ESP truckster
-Ibby RG 7 string
-Mesa/Boogie Studio Preamp (Mk2C+ mod)
-Mesa/Boogie 50-50 Stereo Poweramp
-Mesa/Boogie Vertical 2x12 (C90 and EVM)
Stiletto / Mesa Cab

Stiletto Cabs are the same size as Marshall Cabs, But built better.
Quote by bemiswins
if someone flames you on the internet for music you like, they fail.

Here's my YouTube if anyone wants to see some of my videos.
Quote by Benguitar2
Stiletto / Mesa Cab

Stiletto Cabs are the same size as Marshall Cabs, But built better.

The Marshall cab weighs 30 pounds less that is why i was considering that.

Quote by fbeckinsale
2 Channel Recto cleans are in the 6505 style, kinda lacking. The newer ones are better but still can't compare to a Mark, IMO. With the shared controls, you may have a hard time getting a good clean and lead tone, which has been said.

Here's a couple demo's of Mark III, one is a blue strip, the other a black.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rbUx8LZgjs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlimy5dg2lM&feature=related

ooo thats kinda disappointing. Thanks for the links.

So now i'm tempted to try out the Mark III. If i do choose it how does it compare to the stiletto?
Quote by MatrixClaw

Quote by BobDetroit
Quote by fbeckinsale

+1

Good advice.
Rectumfrier all the way.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Last edited by Jhachey22 at Aug 11, 2010,
Quote by Jhachey22
Rectumfrier all the way.

btw, here's a brief explination of the differences between the different stripes on the Mark IIIs
http://homepage.mac.com/mesaboogie/dot.html

haha thank you but someone already gave me think link.

But thanks non the less.
Quote by MatrixClaw

Quote by BobDetroit
Quote by fbeckinsale
2 Channel Recto cleans are in the 6505 style, kinda lacking.

They're not spectacular, but they're also not as bad as 99% of people make them out to be.

Quote by georgakis187
The rectifier are supposed to record well, but are always way too muddy/bassy for my tastes. Plus the clean tones are shiite.

2 Channel Rectos aren't muddy or overly bassy, and the cleans on all Rectos are entirely useable.

The Mark III is a good amp. I dunno if I'd say it's better than the 2 channel, as until recently, when I played a 2 channel, there hasn't been a Mesa that has really wow'd me in a long time. They all kinda sound similar to me, the 2 channel Recto is the only one that's really stood out. But Marks do sound pretty good and they will certainly have an edge for lead playing, but the Recto is going to have a huge rhythm sound that really can't be matched by any other amp Mesa makes.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
They're not spectacular, but they're also not as bad as 99% of people make them out to be.

2 Channel Rectos aren't muddy or overly bassy, and the cleans on all Rectos are entirely useable.

The Mark III is a good amp. I dunno if I'd say it's better than the 2 channel, as until recently, when I played a 2 channel, there hasn't been a Mesa that has really wow'd me in a long time. They all kinda sound similar to me, the 2 channel Recto is the only one that's really stood out. But Marks do sound pretty good and they will certainly have an edge for lead playing, but the Recto is going to have a huge rhythm sound that really can't be matched by any other amp Mesa makes.

haha well right now i'm a lead guitarist but i want to start a metal band and play rhythm, so maybe the recto will suit my style more, but if i stayed being lead the 2 channel recto can do lead to right?
Quote by MatrixClaw

Quote by BobDetroit
Quote by Aashraya
haha well right now i'm a lead guitarist but i want to start a metal band and play rhythm, so maybe the recto will suit my style more, but if i stayed being lead the 2 channel recto can do lead to right?

Yeah, the 2 channel has a much better lead tone than a 3 channel.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com