Metal is my style. I seek a guitar more powerful than the Epiphone G-400 I currently own. The SG has proven for the style of Metal I like. I also like to play Blues and Hard Rock.

I don't know much about Ibanez but I love their smooth necks and whammy bars. Since I'm not too informed about their pickups, I'm uncertain which type of model would suit me best.

So what it comes down to is a nice Ibanez (RG or RGA) or a Gibson Faded SG.

It's important that the guitar sounds well in clean especially for blues.
I welcome all reasonable opinions and thank the UG community.
I don't know much about Ibanez but I love their smooth necks and whammy bars.

If you love smooth necks and a whammy bar why are you even considering an SG? Get the Ibanez and if you still want a better SG just put good pickups in your Epiphone.
i really like the faded series from Gibson, they feel really nice in my hands.

The Ibanez might be a bit more versatile, especially if its a HSH.
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
Personally, I would go with an RG, I've been wanting the RG350DX for a while now. That's more of a biased opinion for me, though. I haven't played either guitar, and I'm a little anti-Gibson (not as much on an SG, though), and I love Ibanez. I would suggest trying them out if at all possible before doing anything, but an RG is my vote.
Save a trip to the RT!
Quote by blake1221
If there's anything to take away from this thread, anything at all, it's to always cup the balls.

Top trolling abilities.

Quote by caeser1156
God dammit you had me 10/10
I haven't played Epiphones myself, but a friend of mine has an RG350DX, and it's very confortable and sounds awesome in clean, because of the single coil option it has. It has a pretty good distortion too, although it loses clarity to my taste, I prefer the distorten sound of my low end Dean, lol. But anyway, it's a pretty good option and a very high quality instrument for the price.

There's

NEVER

enough

GAIN

Quote by I am wet
i really like the faded series from Gibson, they feel really nice in my hands.

The Ibanez might be a bit more versatile, especially if its a HSH.

What does HSH mean?
Quote by warlockfan
What does HSH mean?

It means Humbucker-Single coil-Humbucker

There's

NEVER

enough

GAIN

Ok. The RG350DX the only Ibanez I've played and I didn't like the pickups too much. Is there anything brighter?
I have both an Ibanez RG (RGT42fx) and a Gibson SG faded, and though I despise metal, I know my sg is not as good sounding as the ibby when it comes to heavy distortion. Both necks feel great, though the RG one would feel better for fast solos and stuff.

I like my gibby better, but if I wanted to play metal, it'd be the RG for sure!

oh, and the gibson looks better )
What are the pickups on the RG350DX? Inf3 Infs3 Inf4?

EDIT: nvm, took a minute to look it up.

EDIT2: just get an RG and maybe buy new pups?
Last edited by Jaketar at Aug 9, 2010,
At the risk of sounding like a broken record. DO NOT BUY AN RG350 WITH AN EDGE 3 TREMOLO. Go on ebay and buy a used rg550/570 or rg1570. The pickups, build, bridge and basically everything will be better. The inf pickups are unbearable in the cheaper ibanez and while the v series arent the best they are atleast useable. Not to mention the edge 3 will lose tuning stability really quickly even if you can set it up.

I'm trieing to cut down my posting here but im surprised nobody has mentioned this with the 18 replies. Buying a edge 3 equipped guitar is a mistake alot of people make when there newbies. DO THE SENSIBLE THING.
Last edited by coolstoryangus at Aug 9, 2010,
Quote by Damaged Roses
And RG's look more metal to me than an SG or LP

Only if you're still hanging out at the Rainbow waiting for Lita Ford's comeback.
what amp do you have?
and go read about floyd roses before buying a guitar with one.
I use a Valvetronix VT 100.
I think the whammy bar would be a nice extra addition to have, although I don't see myself using it excessively. Also, my roommate can properly set up tremolos, so worrying about its set-up won't be an issue.
Go with the Ibanez, they are alot better believe me, I have quite a few. Pic´s in my profile.
What's "more powerful"? If you want more output, change the pickups in your current guitar, do you really need another one?
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
Quote by coolstoryangus
At the risk of sounding like a broken record. DO NOT BUY AN RG350 WITH AN EDGE 3 TREMOLO. Go on ebay and buy a used rg550/570 or rg1570. The pickups, build, bridge and basically everything will be better. The inf pickups are unbearable in the cheaper ibanez and while the v series arent the best they are atleast useable. Not to mention the edge 3 will lose tuning stability really quickly even if you can set it up.

I'm trieing to cut down my posting here but im surprised nobody has mentioned this with the 18 replies. Buying a edge 3 equipped guitar is a mistake alot of people make when there newbies. DO THE SENSIBLE THING.

+1

The cheapest guitar with a double locking tremolo you should look at is the S370, which costs around $500.

Any RG that isn't in the current Prestige range (RG1570 and up) or one of the older models (RG550-RG770) has a shit trem. Avoid RG3xx and RG4xx guitars like the plague.

The pups are shit as well but so is practically any pup in these guitars' price range.

Also ask yourself if you really need a double locking trem. If your answer is 'I don't know' or 'I'm not sure', you're likely better off without one.