Yea my cobra showed up today, and so far i am a bit disappointed. It sounds very fizzy at any volume, so far with eq i havent really been able to solve the problem.

Hoping someone can give me some tips so that i was just setting it up wrong.
Guitars
Amps
bad tubes?
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
would that really degrade teh sound that much? I'll entertain a tube swap if it could. The dude told me he had a set of winged C's put in it.

I put everything on noon when i first set it up....both attenuated and unattenuated it just sounds very high mid fizzy.
Guitars
Amps
Sounds like loose/badly soldered wires. Get the electronics checked out at a shop or send it back telling them about ze problem.

EDIT: Oops, I thought it was a guitar, my bad haha. Yeah I really don't think the tubes would effect it that much. Check out your power source as well as your head to cab wires, my amp use to be so fizzy that even with a noise canceling pedal it'd still have a fizz under everything until I changed all the wires and got a new transformer.
Smart Pothead and Proud
Last edited by 36mikeyb36 at Aug 9, 2010,
What happened to your Uberschall and Triple Recto? I reckon it could have shipped with bad tubes but i've always found the Cobra to be a bit fizzy to my ears
I could have it checked out by the local tech i know. The amp is used, he said its likely a 04 or 05 based on the serial, so no sending it back.

Also Axsilentline, i never had an uberschall or triple rec, dont know where thats coming from?
Guitars
Amps
Quote by Matt15f
I could have it checked out by the local tech i know. The amp is used, he said its likely a 04 or 05 based on the serial, so no sending it back.

Also Axsilentline, i never had an uberschall or triple rec, dont know where thats coming from?

No worries then

Someone with a similar name and identical sig then
Shoot a private message to MatrixClaw (pretty sure he has/had one?)

I don't think bad tubes would effect it, unless you're finding that the gain + volume are super low.

Could be that the speakers you're using aren't a good combination with the Cobra.

Try turning it up real loud too.
100w Peavey Valveking Head
Mesa Rectifier 4x12 Standard Cab
Ibanez RG 321
Boss DD-7
iSP Decimator x2
BBE Boosta Grande
Modded Crybaby
MXR Blue Box
Numark Power Conditioner
Korg DTR-1000
only update i can provide at this point is that my 6505 sounds legions better than the framus, if anyone can help please it is appreciated.
Guitars
Amps
i'd second checking out the wiring. If you're running cables that aren't shielded well, that could have an impact on it, as well as your power cable. At church we usually have to ground lift signals or take them off ground lift to clean up hiss and other garbage.
Have the FX level control all the way in. I heard that affects the fizz a lot. Other than that an eq in loop would possibly help
Call me Brent
Quote by m33sta.

People would leave guitars for me in a box on the doorstep with a note "Please look after little Johnie, we just cant cope anymore, all he wants to do is hook up with Marshalls, We thought he would be a fender boy.

The channel volumes need to be past 2 o'clock to get rid of the fizz. Turning the FX loop to max shouldn't really do much, as a matter of fact, the FX sounds best at noon on mine. Any higher or lower than that seems to degrade the signal path somehow and add in more fizz (obviously I'm not using any effects in the loop).

What cab are you running it through? Cobras are picky
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at Aug 10, 2010,
This was my experience with the Cobra too. But it can be tamed with different preamp tubes, different speakers, and turn the amp up so it can breathe.
I like the Dragon better myself.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
I can help you here. Go with all Ruby tubes both power (EL34's) and pres (Shuguang 12ax7B's will work also). Bias the amp at about 39mA. Starting with a fresh set of tubes in the Cobra will work wonders. The amp does have a learning curve. Try to keep the presense down too, that will cut down on the fizziness. Also, the Cobra loves to breath. It sounds better the louder it gets. It's not really a bedroom amp. The Cobra prefers Greenback speakers to V30's.
Last edited by Flash Nightmare at Aug 10, 2010,
Thanks for the replies I'll play around with it tonight. Running it through a splawn cab with sb25's.
Guitars
Amps
Quote by Van Noord
This was my experience with the Cobra too. But it can be tamed with different preamp tubes, different speakers, and turn the amp up so it can breathe.
I like the Dragon better myself.

Quote by Flash Nightmare
I can help you here. Go with all Ruby tubes both power (EL34's) and pres (Shuguang 12ax7B's will work also). Bias the amp at about 39mA. Starting with a fresh set of tubes in the Cobra will work wonders. The amp does have a learning curve. Try to keep the presense down too, that will cut down on the fizziness. Also, the Cobra loves to breath. It sounds better the louder it gets. It's not really a bedroom amp. The Cobra prefers Greenback speakers to V30's.

You guys make it sound like the amp is some kind of living, breathing, and very temperamental being, that is really picky and really "needs his space".
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Quote by Kanthras
You guys make it sound like the amp is some kind of living, breathing, and very temperamental being, that is really picky and really "needs his space".
All serious tone junkies should think this way
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Last edited by Van Noord at Aug 10, 2010,
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1681257/Cobra%20Mesa%20Cab%20Reamps.mp3

Don't sound too fizzy to me? The cobra is naturally abundant in high mids, and using a midsy speaker like v30s emphasizes that moreso, don't know about the splawn speakers though.

Basically you have to keep the channel volumes dimed, this will get rid of the fizz somewhat. The effects loop also shapes the tone, by putting it in the 12 O'clock position, it removes some more fizz, but it also adds more mids so I normally keep the level all the way down.

Mine sounds great at pretty much any volume but obviously shines when the master gets up to about 9 O'clock.
Gear:

Ibanez RGT220H
Schecter C1 Elite
Ibanez EWC30
Maxon OD-808
Framus Cobra
Peavey 5150 MK1 Block Letter
ENGL E530 Preamp
Mesa Boogie Standard Rectifier 4x12

Music:

http://www.myspace.com/morethanthisuk
Quote by Van Noord
All serious tone junkies should think this way

+1
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Ok so I cranked the channel volume up to like 3pm and it made a big difference, sounding good now, kinda like a slightly more British version of the nitro with more gain on tap. Thanks everyone for the help.

I guess I ruined it as far as doing a NAD thread haha.

One other question, so the traditional style speakers are recommended for this amp as opposed to v30 type?

311, nah I sold the nitro, great amp but I wasn't playing it enough to warrant keeping it.
Guitars
Amps
Quote by Matt15f
Ok so I cranked the channel volume up to like 3pm and it made a big difference, sounding good now, kinda like a slightly more British version of the nitro with more gain on tap. Thanks everyone for the help.

I guess I ruined it as far as doing a NAD thread haha.

One other question, so the traditional style speakers are recommended for this amp as opposed to v30 type?

311, nah I sold the nitro, great amp but I wasn't playing it enough to warrant keeping it.

Glad it's workin out now.

I'd think the Splawn speakers would be a pretty good combo with it, but it does sound a lot better through the matching cab I have, then through the V30s in my Mesa.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com