Hey all,

I had a local guitar shop build me a custom Les Paul style guitar a few months back (pics on my profile), and at the time i didn't have the funds to spend on high end parts (pickups, etc) but mostly wanted to get a guitar in the color and style I wanted and just make some upgrades later. It's modelled after the limited edition "Manhattan Midnight" LP from a few years ago, blue flame maple top with white bindings/bezels, etc. Anyway, the tuners that the shop installed were just basic vintage pearloid keystone ones, which don't really go well with the blue/white color of my guitar and the nickel hardware so I'm looking to replace them. I'd like to keep the keystone shape of the tuners, but the only ones with nickel buttons that I can find in a vintage style (not needing any adjustments to the screw holes on the headstock) are $150 Kluson Wafflebacks.

Just wondering if anyone has come across a cheaper vintage tuner with nickel keystone buttons, or at least with replaceable buttons since all of the vintage ones I've researched don't have the option for screw in buttons.

Thanks!
"When you know that your time is close at hand, maybe then you'll begin to understand, life down there is just a strange illusion" - Hallowed Be Thy Name - Iron Maiden 1982
Last edited by prot at Aug 9, 2010,
Grover makes some and they cost about $45. You can also buy conversion bushings if the tuning peg hole is too large.
Your opinion is just that, YOUR opinion. It doesn't make you right. It doesn't make you better. It doesn't make you god. Everyone has their own view and that view is neither right or wrong.

Ignorance destroys music.
scream_it, I've looked at the Grovers, and I don't really want the Rotomatics because they won't sync up with the current tuner screw holes, and I only see the vintage styles with the "bean" type button or plastic keystones... Do you know if those buttons are actually replaceable?

RivercrestColts, the ones I currently have on the guitar are pearloids, but they've got that greenish tinge to them. They'd look fine on a more traditionally painted guitar like a sunburst, but the pure white or nickel is what i'm gunning for on mine. I've searched online for regular white buttons too but can't seem to find them... Don't happen to know where I'd find em?
"When you know that your time is close at hand, maybe then you'll begin to understand, life down there is just a strange illusion" - Hallowed Be Thy Name - Iron Maiden 1982
kcintlob, that 4th link are the wafflebacks that I found before, and really the only ones that will work on my guitar - vintage style so the screw holes sync up, and nickel keystone buttons. What I'm hoping to find is a cheaper alternative. Those other vintage styles would fit, but the buttons aren't pure white and are going to look a bit off just like the ones I have now.