I know this really isn't the best place to put this, but I've been looking for info on laws and such for hours and I can't find what I need.
Ok so I was pulling into a parking lot today and right after I turned a corner this lady pulled her van out of her space really fast. I just got my license 3 days ago so I was kinda in shock about it I guess. I braked as fast as I could but I didn't lay on the horn or reverse or anything. I was screaming but of course that didn't help. The lady acted like it was my fault and got mad at me, but at the same time she admitted that she didn't see me, so she obviously wasn't looking. Is it my fault in any way, or was it hers? I really don't need some lady giving me trouble over the scratch on her minivan...
Quote by emily92
I know this really isn't the best place to put this, but I've been looking for info on laws and such for hours and I can't find what I need.
Ok so I was pulling into a parking lot today and right after I turned a corner this lady pulled her van out of her space really fast. I just got my license 3 days ago so I was kinda in shock about it I guess. I braked as fast as I could but I didn't lay on the horn or reverse or anything. I was screaming but of course that didn't help. The lady acted like it was my fault and got mad at me, but at the same time she admitted that she didn't see me, so she obviously wasn't looking. Is it my fault in any way, or was it hers? I really don't need some lady giving me trouble over the scratch on her minivan...

1: How fast do you pull into a parking lot? Shouldn't be more than 5 mph really.

2: There's your answer.
Quote by boreamor
1: How fast do you pull into a parking lot? Shouldn't be more than 5 mph really.

2: There's your answer.

I was going really slow since there was lots of traffic and I had just turned a corner. I did think it was her fault, but I wasn't sure. Thank you
Yeah as you said, she mustn't have been looking and pulled out too fast. The general rule of thumb when driving is that everything that happens is not your fault. Also, if it was your fault she'd have taken your insurance details down.
Well, I'm about to get my license so thanks for scaring the shit out of me.

Also, if you can prove that she was not looking and that it was her fault, you'll be okay.
~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~
From my experiences, it's usually the person pulling out of the parking space that gets in the most trouble. It's also that same person who gets the angriest.
Quote by AA00P
Listen to the man, he's Jewish.
Quote by emily92
I just got my license 3 days ago

Its about time you learn that it is NEVER your fault. Even when it is, it isn't your fault. Get me?
This is why I don't like arguing on the internet.
Quote by damian_91
If only you could back that statement up.
Quote by Zombee
Wolfgang's Philadelphia Study. Look it up yourself.
Quote by damian_91
No need to, absurd generalizations aren't my thing.
im not 100% certain about the law here, but i would assume that you had the right away as she was pulling out of the spot.
Remember through sounds
Remember through smells
Remember through colors
Remember through towns
-Modest Mouse, "Novocaine Stain"
Parking lot accidents often are 50/50 fault. Her fault because she backed out into you. And you're fault since you didn't honk your horn to warn her.
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
Quote by guitarsftw
From my experiences, it's usually the person pulling out of the parking space that gets in the most trouble. It's also that same person who gets the angriest.

Yes she was very rude to me and acted devestated about the scratch on her van, but she was either talking on the phone or putting on make-up, I couldn't tell but whatever it was she thought it was necessary to finish that before getting out of the car and yelling at me
Quote by Koshman32
Parking lot accidents often are 50/50 fault. Her fault because she backed out into you. And you're fault since you didn't honk your horn to warn her.

No.

Anyway, as long as you didn't say something like "no it was my fault" you're probably fine. You had the right of way.
maybe if you had a
revolver
you'd
suck less

press
↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B Areceive bacon

Gamertag: Seanslaught
PSN: BeastlyBassist
Steam: Beastly396
Absolutely her fault. No question. She should have had the sense to look before she started moving.

I really hope you got her information, regardless of if your vehicle was damaged or not. The fear of that being taken to her insurance would make her look before she drives from now on.

Quote by emily92
Yes she was very rude to me and acted devestated about the scratch on her van, but she was either talking on the phone or putting on make-up, I couldn't tell but whatever it was she thought it was necessary to finish that before getting out of the car and yelling at me

You should have started screaming back. People like that piss me off so bad. No, its not like you are moving 2000+ pounds of metal or anything, you can do other things that will obviously reduce your ability to pay attention to the fact that you are moving at a ridiculous speed. (not so much in a parking lot, but you get the idea)

People don't need safer cars. They need to learn how not to be a dipshit behind the wheel, so they don't cause as many wrecks.

/Driving rant
Quote by Butt Rayge
Pretty sure Jesus was decaffeinated.

I'm just a hedonist without happiness