My friends and I are having trouble deciding which one of us should sing in our band. We both really want to sing but we can't decide. We are are both decent singers. We are in a Hard Rock band.
So how do we decide who sings?

Help.
Quote by its_alive
It's just like breaking up with a girl.
Explain that you'd really love to help take care of the baby, but you have to move to South Africa.
Both of you can sing at different times (or the same time, harmonies are always good too).
Ask the other members of the band?

I'm sure they'd love to have some input here...
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Both is the best way to go of course. You should check out Fugazi, they're not really a hard rock band, but they have two singers. They use harmonies, sing lines back and forth, or just have one singer for a song and have the othe backing, and then switch for another. It changes things up and gives you a wider creative landscape.
As said above, you should take turns singing, and do harmonies too. But this can raise issues if one/both of you don't play instruments.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
If one of you plays an instrument, then the other one should sing lead vocals and focus solely on that.

Otherwise, just record both of your voices, listen to them and decide amongst the band who should be the lead singer, ask friends/people in other bands who they prefer as well.
Although the other one should still sing back ups/harmonies, in my opinion it's best to just have one lead vocalist.

I wish I could have the problem of having too many good vocalists to choose from
More than one person can sing.... ever hear of The Beatles?
*Official Deadhead*

The times they are a-changin'
We both play guitar.
Quote by its_alive
It's just like breaking up with a girl.
Explain that you'd really love to help take care of the baby, but you have to move to South Africa.
Dude.... do you only listen to like Led Zeppelin and The Rolling Stones or something? You're band doesn't HAVE to be drums, bass, guitar, singer
*Official Deadhead*

The times they are a-changin'
You can either both take turns singing, or you can let random people decide who the better singer is and let the other be the lead guitarist.
Quote by trey-col89
Dude.... do you only listen to like Led Zeppelin and The Rolling Stones or something? You're band doesn't HAVE to be drums, bass, guitar, singer

+1

Anyway, have you ever listened to ZZ Top? Both the guitarist and bassist sing- they just take turns! I don't think it would be too much of a leap to apply that to what you guys do!

Find out each others range- it's likely one will be higher and the other lower...even if you're exactly the same range, there's no way you sound exactly alike! Use it to your advantage.
Quote by trey-col89
More than one person can sing.... ever hear of The Beatles?

and KISS, most of the songs are either Paul or Gene singing lead with the other three guys singing backup. Ace sings lead on Shock Me and Peter sings lead on Beth. There are more songs but I can't think of them right now.

Someone else already said ZZ Top, Kieth sings on a few Rolling Stones songs, same with Joe Perry, and I believe Jerry Cantrel from Alice in Chains and the guys from Mastodon do it too.

Long story short, anyone in your band that can sing should at least try it sometime. It makes for a good change of pace.
Me and my girlfriend were in a guitar store one day.

My GF- What's the difference between Gibson and Epiphone?

Me- (Explains)

GF- So Epiphone is like Gibson's slutty little sister?

Me- I love you.

It can be done. Actually I'd say you're lucky you can both sing, it adds up to diversity and could make you a much more interesting band.
Current Gear:
Peavey Zodiac DE Scorpio (Bass)
Yamaha RBX-170 (Bass)
Boss ODB-3 (Overdrive Pedal)
Line 6 LowDown 150 (Amp)
a band with more than one singer are a million times better because you'll never get tired of their songs(alot of diversity). plus there are great songs with two singers singing at the same time. If you are doing covers give the song to the singer more adequate to the song, and whoever writes a song gets to sing it. not that complicated.
Don't forget about songs sung as a duet like "Can't stand me now" by the Libertines or put together two bits of quite different sounding songs and sing one part each like "A hard day's night" by the Beatles. Both these options are great if there's a good chemistry between both the singers.
Quote by Next Hendrix
Walk in on your wife with another man.
Kill them both.
Go to prison in Louisiana.
Have conversation with the Devil.
Instant harmonica asskickery.
Ya man U both could sing like that band alice in chains
or one could take the lead and one could take the backing vocals
but see who wuld fit perfectly out of the 2 of you