Page 1 of 2
just wanting to kill some time here so i was just wondering why some people hate B.C. Rich and others like them very much? personaly i like them because theyre higer end guitars such as the mockingbird ST arent goin to cost you like a gibson would but they still sound and play great! (also im a huge floyd rose tremolo fan which is another reason i like them but thats more personal taste)
Guitars
Gibson Explorer
Takemine EG523SC
Epiphone Slash Signature Les Paul
BC Rich Mockingbird ST

Amp
Vox Valvetronix 100watt

Pedals
TC Electronics Ditto Looper
Dunlop Original Cry Baby
Electro-Harmonix Freeze Sound Retainer
The same reason some people love tuna and some think it tastes awful.

Preference.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
yeah but its not like people just say personaly i dont like them many people go out of theyre way to hate on them and i was just curious why? and since you brought it up i dont like tuna
Guitars
Gibson Explorer
Takemine EG523SC
BC Rich Mockingbird ST

Amp
Vox Valvetronix 100watt

Pedals
Dunlop Original Cry Baby
Because guitar nubs think that buying a cheap, hardcore looking guitar will make them badass, but they're paying for the looks and not the quality at that point. Anyone that plays those guitars that knows anything about guitars will know that they should cost like $100 but the guy paid like $300. However, I've never played one of the high-end ones so idk why people hate those ones
Guitars
Godin Velocity w/ Schaller locking tuners
Ibanez RG7321 w/ Dimarzio Crunchlab & Liquifire
Seagull Coastline S6 Burst GT QI
Random Ibanez Bass

Gear
Blackstar HT-5 Head
Peavey Valveking 112
Last edited by stevo_92 at Aug 10, 2010,
because people that like tuna, dont like B.C. Rich.

duh.
Quote by humperdunk

So I just woke up sitting in my desk chair, with my bong on the desk in a bunch of little pieces and my hand super glued to my penis. Speculations as to what the hell just happened and how to unglue my hand from my member would be appreciated.
the higher end ones are pretty amazing and the lower end ones arent all bad but still they have flaws but personaly i always loved the mockingbird its like a cooler strat to me and i always though strats were kinda boring they always lacked something to me i really dont know but i see what you mean i hate people who think theyre all badass
Guitars
Gibson Explorer
Takemine EG523SC
BC Rich Mockingbird ST

Amp
Vox Valvetronix 100watt

Pedals
Dunlop Original Cry Baby
in some wierd way that makes sense so do you like tuna? Think about it im asking if you like fish you better think how you wanna answer this one hahaha
Guitars
Gibson Explorer
Takemine EG523SC
BC Rich Mockingbird ST

Amp
Vox Valvetronix 100watt

Pedals
Dunlop Original Cry Baby
My BC rich has a neck that's thicker than George W Bush. in all seriousness though..

BC riches can be good guitars but in my opinion they are generally overpriced for what your getting.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
i dont find them overpriced but it all depends on what you consider overpriced but i think theyre fairly priced and great metal guitars
Guitars
Gibson Explorer
Takemine EG523SC
BC Rich Mockingbird ST

Amp
Vox Valvetronix 100watt

Pedals
Dunlop Original Cry Baby
The lower end ones are pretty damn dire and cost a lot of money for what you get. You can get a much better instrument for the price. This is coming from someone who used to own a BC Rich Platinum warlock. It was just terrible, the back of the neck was rough, the rosewood felt cheap as hell, fret work was very questionable and the sound it produced was absolutely dire. Not to mention the fact the action was so high I was hitting harmonics all over the place by accident.....

As for the higher end ones, I have not played them. However I would imagine that yet again you can get a lot better for your money from other manufacturers such as Ibanez, ESP, Jackson and Fender.
My Gear

Ibanez J Custom RG8570Z-BX - BKP Warpigs
ESP Eclipse II Full Thickness - BKP Nailbombs
Fender Mexican Strat - BKP Trilogy Suites.

Axe FX II - Matrix GT1000FX - Rocktron All Access.

Stinnett M7 in the works
I don't like the feel for them and the reason why they prices are so high is because noobs or metalheads wan't odd shapes I was a sucker into this trap too and bought a BC Rich. The pick ups are muddy as hell and the body is basswood at £300. It's a bit much.
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by Fisheth24
I don't like the feel for them and the reason why they prices are so high is because noobs or metalheads wan't odd shapes I was a sucker into this trap too and bought a BC Rich. The pick ups are muddy as hell and the body is basswood at £300. It's a bit much.

I do believe the bodies on the lower end models are Agathis. Basswood isn't a bad tone wood. You can pay £2500 for a John Petrucci music man signature that's made of basswood.

To be honest any of my Ibanez guitar's, or my strat were much better stock than the BC Rich and the strat was of a comparible price.
My Gear

Ibanez J Custom RG8570Z-BX - BKP Warpigs
ESP Eclipse II Full Thickness - BKP Nailbombs
Fender Mexican Strat - BKP Trilogy Suites.

Axe FX II - Matrix GT1000FX - Rocktron All Access.

Stinnett M7 in the works
Quote by Talentless
I do believe the bodies on the lower end models are Agathis. Basswood isn't a bad tone wood. You can pay £2500 for a John Petrucci music man signature that's made of basswood.

To be honest any of my Ibanez guitar's, or my strat were much better stock than the BC Rich and the strat was of a comparible price.

Ah ok, sorry my bad. I thought my BC Rich was Basswood, I've been up all night so don't listen to me!

To be honest, Ibanez do have better pick-ups,feel and wood then BC rich for the same price and there more confertable to sit down with too!
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
honestly i didnt like many of theyre shapes besides the mockingbirds and the bich i tried a mockingbird ST recently and it amazed me the action was perfect the floyd rose is awesome it has a AAA quilt maple top (i think) it has rockfield pickups which are very high output and not to mention all those little special effects some people say they dont do much but you need to have an ear from music and kno how to combine the effects otherwise they are pretty much useless but i love them it helps you find your tone you want and last im pulling the slash card and saying he used an ST so i dont think they can be that bad? but what are your oppinions on them oh yeah its $699 USD
Guitars
Gibson Explorer
Takemine EG523SC
BC Rich Mockingbird ST

Amp
Vox Valvetronix 100watt

Pedals
Dunlop Original Cry Baby
I like my ASM superstrat really lot, it's pretty much on par with the equivalent Jackson SLSMG (of which neck and body I didn't like).

Mostly I think ppl hate 'em because they've tried some cheap model or don't like can openers.
alot of people(including me)hate their designs...the only two guitars I like are the zoltan bathory sig and the mocking bird

other guitars are just bullcrap
Last edited by archenemyfan at Aug 10, 2010,
They look stupid, the cheap ones are dreadful and they smell of tuna.
I like their designs because i get bored of the generic strat/lp shapes.

But like others say the low end stuff is not that great in quality compared to other brands.
Saying that though i have a £230 warlock which im quite happy with at the moment. it is very comfortable to play imo.
Down they come
The swarm of locusts
Skies above
Converge to choke us
Feast of souls
Consume the harvest
Young and old
Suffer unto the locust
Meh alot of people start out on bronze warlocks with are abominations so they go on a crusade against bc rich. I personally think they've got there act together recently. (i think they got new owners recently correct me if im wrong cause there mid range USEd to be pretty shit too)

I don't like there outlandish shapes and there a very aquired taste but there superstrats like the gunslinger retros and there new assasins are pretty excellent value for money. Plus the gunslinger retros are just cool in general.
Last edited by coolstoryangus at Aug 10, 2010,
The only BC Rich I've ever got on with is the Blaster, the one like a HH telecaster. Its discontinued, but the only BC Rich I would ever play. The pointy ones look ridiculous, even for the most extreme forms of metal, like a real poser guitar that beginners look at and go "OMG POINTY, I WANTZ".
Because they prey on ignorant pre-teens with crazy shaped guitars with utter shit for quality. They sell an ass load of bronze warlocks to noobs; who, after a year or so, realize they bought junk. I would venture to guess that BC Rich has one of the lowest rates of repeat buyers.

Now, with that said, their higher end guitars are very nice and just as good as others. They really should have sub-branded their low end crap so as to not tarnish their name.....think squier/fender, epi/gibson, ltd/esp, etc....
Quote by webwarmiller
Because they prey on ignorant pre-teens with crazy shaped guitars with utter shit for quality. They sell an ass load of bronze warlocks to noobs; who, after a year or so, realize they bought junk. I would venture to guess that BC Rich has one of the lowest rates of repeat buyers.

Now, with that said, their higher end guitars are very nice and just as good as others. They really should have sub-branded their low end crap so as to not tarnish their name.....think squier/fender, epi/gibson, ltd/esp, etc....

+1 this user speaks the truth!
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
As others have said, they have a bad reputation because of their horrible low end guitars. But the mid and high end models are decent to great quality. For instance, the Deluxe Jr. V is a mid priced guitar with some awesome features. You get a Original Floyd Rose and EMGs in a nice playing guitar. For $750, thats a pretty good deal.
Gear
3rd Power Amplification HD100
Splawn Competition
Marshall 1987x
Vox AC30C2

Charvel San Dimas 1 2H
2008 Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender MIM Strat

Check out my YouTube channel!
thats something i think we can all agree on the low end ones are pretty crappy but the mid and high end ones are pretty great but within the last year or so there had been a change in b.c. rich with a ceo or something and theyre guitars started becoming higher quality from the lower ends to the higher end ones and also im a teen and like their shapes but thats just my taste i DONT think im badass or anything its just the shapes seem cool to me but thats just my taste but i certainly dont think im badass if anything im more shy when playing guitar in front of others
Guitars
Gibson Explorer
Takemine EG523SC
BC Rich Mockingbird ST

Amp
Vox Valvetronix 100watt

Pedals
Dunlop Original Cry Baby
It could be the fact that they have amazing aesthetic appeal, but doesn't have the feel to match it. I've played warlocks and the necks aren't as smooth as can be.
no they arent that smooth i agree but im not as into those as mockingbirds they are my abosolute favorite my mockingbird ST is supposed to be arriving today i got it for FREE and BRAND NEW talk about lucky!
Guitars
Gibson Explorer
Takemine EG523SC
BC Rich Mockingbird ST

Amp
Vox Valvetronix 100watt

Pedals
Dunlop Original Cry Baby
I've got a B.C Rich nt jr v which i bought for 300 euros. It's pretty good for 300€ ( normal price is around 500-700 euros which i would never pay for a guitar like this ) it's necktrough and has so called "original floyd rose" which is actually 1000-series floyd rose, 24 jumbo frets, 25,5" scale, Nato (eastern mahogany) body & neck as it's necktrough, 2 volume and 1 tone. I don't see why people complain about high action, i have it lower than on my esp ltd and my ltd has more buzz
There are few things i do not like in this guitar: first - the pickups.. 2 BDSM humbuckers, they suck ass.. secondly: the neck.. it's THICK.

So overall, it's pretty good guitar for 300€, but i don't see why someone would pay that for guitars such as the bronce series which are bolt-on and usually are just piece of crap. B.C Rich is great when it comes to the mid and high end guitars. Personally, i would avoid any B.C Rich that is under 300€ (mainly bronce series)
Sorry if this looks like a review of my guitar lol
well a thick neck even the best LP's have its a matter of opinion on the neck and i would nvr pay around 500USD for a bolt on neck i just cant stand bolt ons i find you get better sustain with neck thru guitars which is also why most higher end guitars have neck through construction aside from strats but then again im not a HUGE fan of them but they do sound pretty good
Guitars
Gibson Explorer
Takemine EG523SC
BC Rich Mockingbird ST

Amp
Vox Valvetronix 100watt

Pedals
Dunlop Original Cry Baby
Quote by Archetype00
because people that like tuna, dont like B.C. Rich.

duh.

I can second this, although I used to be a BC Rich fanboy for my first 6 months of playing and I've loved tuna all along. But...Iunno, a LOT of people seem to hate any guitar shape that never got based off of a Gibson or Fender shape and call it teh sh1tz imatur, presumably because they don't like the feel, but I find some of the odder-looking guitars much more comfortable than a Strat, LP or SG. I don't like BC Rich because the BC Rich(a late '80s model Platinum Assassin) I had was a piece of junk(although the last time I played it I got a rather 80s Paul Gilbert-esque tone and that made me consider taking the bridge humbucker out and putting it in my ML...but, eh, too late now, some sucker bought it. =D), and I'm not a fan of the look or feel of most of their designs(I like the Warlock, the Mockingbird and sorta the Ironbird, but...the Beast, Eagle and Bich are...eh.).
Quote by SlayingDragons
Nah, I prefer to tune lower. My tunings usually go into weird Hebrew symbols.
I used to own a Platinum series Warlock and I loved it.... until I bought an Ibanez RG550 and realised how bad the BC Rich was.

Crap wood, horrible pickups, the quality was questionable.

I still love it as my first guitar in the same way as I kinda still love my first girlfriend who was a b!tch.... but moving on to better things gives your perspective.
i see what you guys are saying now and just as i still love my affinty series squire now matter how crappy your first guitar is it is always the most priceless in your collection well thats how i feel about it i mean its what i learned my first songs and riffs on schools out and rock you like a hurricane man those were the good old days........
Guitars
Gibson Explorer
Takemine EG523SC
BC Rich Mockingbird ST

Amp
Vox Valvetronix 100watt

Pedals
Dunlop Original Cry Baby
No love for the BC Rich chuck schuldiner stealth models?
Hes pretty much the father of death metal
No ego-inflating quotes nor stupidly long signatures to be found here.

Move along.

Bands/Artists of the month; Marco Sfogli, Marco Sfogli and Marco Sfogli .

Quote by steve_muse
^lol'd at the sig, adj209
I have 3 BC Rich guitars in my stable of about 30 guitars.

My BC Rich Bich Metal Web with EMGs blows away ant other metal guitar...like the Olympic team playing the Kindergarden Squirts. It's the 'fullest' guitar I've ever played.

I also have an 'Afterburner' which has incredible sustain...and a 'Warlock' with a Floyd Rose Bridge...both good playable guitars.

note: most folks who ditz guitars, amps, etc haven't been withn a mile of the brand or might have played 'one' at a guitar store. Sort of like the 16 year old who is an 'expert' on strings even though he's only played for 2 years and changes strings every 6 months...hmmm...4 sets of strings but an 'expert'.
Quote by guitarguyz61
i see what you guys are saying now and just as i still love my affinty series squire now matter how crappy your first guitar is it is always the most priceless in your collection well thats how i feel about it i mean its what i learned my first songs and riffs on schools out and rock you like a hurricane man those were the good old days........

Nothing crappy about Squier Affinity guitars...I have 2 Affinities and 7 Fender Stratocasters...the Squiers play as well as half of the Fender Stats.

....and the Squier Affinity is WAY BETTER than my first Fender American Strat (bought in 1971).
The lower end one from what I've generally seen make new guitarist bad. They never stay in tune and the sound is next to ear bleeding. The high ends arn't to bad, but why by a B.C Rich when I can get a ESP or Ibanez? Plus....WHY SO POINTY? So uncomfortable.....
really? wow that makes me appreciate my squire even more ahahaha and some people perfer those pointy shapes like me! its just a matter off opinion
Guitars
Gibson Explorer
Takemine EG523SC
BC Rich Mockingbird ST

Amp
Vox Valvetronix 100watt

Pedals
Dunlop Original Cry Baby
Quote by Raptorfingers

....and the Squier Affinity is WAY BETTER than my first Fender American Strat (bought in 1971).

lmao..I love these type of posts

sigged
We are one of the only stores in our city to still carry B.C. Rich and there is still a market...especially in suburbia, kids want their first guitar to look "badass" when they're ages 13-16, and most of their body shapes are available for less than $400. Beyond that, we saw two of the first 100 draco models come in and out on special orders 2 years ago, and we just got in a Chuck Schuldiner tribute Stealth for a customer on special order. They still sell, but because their lower end aren't AMAZING, people slag the brand like crazy and think you shouldn't be dealing in them at all...they're as good if not better than most Ibanez/LTD/Schecter models at the same pricepoint, but in the mid range, they get crushed by those above mentioned companies.

I bought a full size B.C. Rich Beast when I was 16...had it for over 10 years and still love it, and it plays beautifully.
Gear:
- Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
- B.C. Rich Platinum Beast
- Godin LG EMG
- Peavey 6505+ Combo
- "Mastortion" Pedal 1/6
- Hagstrom HC-15 (1967)

2011 gear:
- Schecter 35th anniversary C-1
- Schecter RAF spitfire solo 6
BC rich are good guitars if they are the custom shop ones ranging from about 4000-10,000 dollars.

the cheap ones are garbage. and look rediculous. mid range are meh. buy why them over other brands?
Ikey, cause they look cool?

NUBZ WANT METALZ SHAPES.

Excuse that last comment. That was so unlike me.
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Page 1 of 2