I'm in a band that's finally getting pretty serious and getting ready to play some large scale venues. I'm feeling held back by my crappy amp. It's one of those evil Marshall MG's I only bought it because, around a year and a half ago I had a gig coming up and needed something in a hurry and it was all I could afford at the time. At this point I don't much care for any of the tones or effects and generally just run it clean with a pedal board for sound shaping but am still not really satisfied. It always sounds bass-ey and I have a hard time getting any kind of nice tone at all even with a lot of nice pedals on my board.

Fast forward a bit and I'm in the market for something that sucks less. Budget is 500-700 so I'm probably looking for used. Location is Scranton, PA. I'm in an original modern/semi hard/semi alt rock band that, when we were a cover band, did stuff like Three Days Grace, Flyleaf, Theory Of A Deadman, Papa Roach, etc and performs originals in similar styles now. Current considerations include the obvious one which is the Peavey 6505+ and also thinking about the Line 6 HD100 MKII.

The Peavey I like because it's a reliable name and it's a model that has a good reputation and is used by many of the big names whose music I enjoy. My bass player runs a Peavey rig and, while it's kind of an apples and oranges situation, I like his tones a lot. I've never heard anything but good stuff about Peavey and figured this would probably be appropriate for my style of music.

The MKII intrigues me because it supposedly is built with Bogner tubes which I've also heard good things about and a lot of my friends swear by the reliability of Line 6 stuff. I'm sure there will be at least one or two people who quote that line and say Line 6 sucks or something, but that's what most of my musician friends are always saying about their Line 6 gear so I'm interested in trying some of it out.

Of course, what I really need is to find someplace to try these amps but I'm having a hard time of it. The local Guitar Center hasn't got a 6505 and I don't know if the Peavey combo amps they do have around are an accurate representation of the tonality. They also only have the MKII's some of the time and I've yet to get there on a day I have time to jam when they have one in the store. I guess I have crappy luck.

I didn't do any research when I bought the MG and regretted it pretty much right away. I plugged it in at a Guitar Center, realized it was all I could afford with what I had in my pocket and bought it because I had to gig the next day and didn't want to show up with a cheesy little practice combo amp. I never liked this amp and, upon actually doing the research, neither does anybody else, it seems. I don't want to make this mistake twice. Please help me out!
get the 6505+
Quote by alm0st a skat3r
yeah i remember when i had a good conscience. now i dont give a ****

xxx
smoke weed, drink 40's, **** titties
Last edited by handbanana at Aug 10, 2010,
I actually made the same mistake you made by getting a marshall mg half stack. Luckily i just purchased an Engl Powerball 2... but anyways

I'd definitely go with the peavey 6505 or a peavey 5150 for the tones your looking for. Also, you might want to check out the valveking. I haven't had time to play around on the valveking, but i've heard good things about it.

Best of luck!
^if he can afford a 5150/6505 there is really no reason to check out the valveking

Also look for a used Mesa Single Recto, I bet you could find one for $700. I bet most of the bands you listed probably use something similar to that. Mesa's are whats used by a lot of mainstream heavier bands.
Quote by alm0st a skat3r

xxx
Last edited by handbanana at Aug 10, 2010,
Cool, thanks for the quick replies. My next question is... how much will the speaker cab that came with the MG hurt me? I'm not expecting it to really be amazing given what it came with but I know ti did come with 4x12 Celestions. Any saving grace there or will I also have to upgrade the cab to get anything decent sounding out of a better amp?
i've never used one myself but i've been told that the MG cab is really bad. Upgrading the cab as well would be ideal
Quote by alm0st a skat3r

xxx
If you cant afford the Peavey, try the Bugera 6260/6262. Very similar.
Ibanez RGR421EXFM, Michael Kelley Vex NV, Ovation Celebrity. Carvin V3
Peavey 412M w/Eminence Wizards & Swamp Thangs, Rocktron Hush Super C, Furman PL-8C,15 band EQ, Boosta grande, ISP Decimator, Dano EQ, Ibanez TBX 150,TC Elec Polytune