Hey I'm a newbie and I just bought a used Schecter S1 elite that came with 11 gauge D'Addario strings

I'm having trouble on a song called In The End by Linkin park. I can't play the chords when you use your index finger only and they look like this: ( what are they called anyways?)
|---------
|--------
|--------
|5-------
|5-------
|5-------

I can't play these type of chords without one of the strings buzzing or sounding muffled unless I spend like a whole minute trying to play the chord. I think the placement of my finger might be incorrect because I'm pressing the strings hard enough to leave 3 lines on my finger. Any suggestions?
You could always play it with three fingers instead of one. That might be easier.
It's always hard at first. You should fret it just behind the 5th fret, you just need to build up finger strength.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
Try putting lighter strings on your guitar, then gradually move up as your fingers get stronger.
I'm the musical equivalent of driving a Sherman tank to work.
Hi there, the type of chord you are attempting to play is called a power chord. The biggest piece of advice I could give you, as stated above, is to put on some lighter gauge strings or even standard (10-42) and to try using 3 fingers instead of one, and keeping at it. It's hard at first but with persistence, it will come evenually
It seems like you're barring the 3 strings. Try to press them all down with your index finger. Don't try to barre the strings with your whole finger. Only use the tip and mid-section of your finger. Also if you find that difficult try turning your finger slightly on its side. It'll hurt at first but you'll get used to it soon.
like above stated, build some finger strength. As little as just holding the chord until your hand cramps while watching tv, or whatever, will help. Even if thats not your problem in this case, it will help.. in the end....pun intended. lol.
what i used to do in these cases is barre the 3 strings with your index finger and push down on that with your middle finger, sort of crushing your index in between. this should help get the sound your looking for. also, maybe this doesnt apply, but you dont have to barre the whole fret, in fact, barring just the 3 strings will usually end up muting the G so you can hit it by mistake and it will not matter. hope that makes sense.
Quote by c_a-m_
the type of chord you are attempting to play is called a power chord.

that is NOT a power chord

This is a power chord
|---
|---
|---
|---
|-5-
|-5-
|-3-

This is not a power chord

|---
|---
|---
|---
|-5-
|-5-
|-5-

EDITpps, sorry about the 7 lines, im used to 7 strings. but either way, the above statement stands the same.
People in the pit take my post way too seriously.

MyAnimeList
7-String Legion

If you have a question PM me and I will always get back to you.
Last edited by Deadlock Riff at Aug 11, 2010,
This is actually a power chord, on that song in particular the tuning is in Drop Db on the low E string and the rest of the guitar is tuned flattened, so Db-Ab-Db-Gb-Bb-Eb is the correct tuning for this, you could still play this in the normal tuning, just drop the low E to D, eg D-A-D-G-B-E, it will just sound slightly higher than the original song, hope this helps.

John.