I just got my schecter s1 elite for 300 bucks (yeah I know, what a steal ) last week. It even came with a case and D addario 11 gauge strings. I heard 11s aren't good for beginners, why is that?

Anyways I'm learning In The End By Linkin right now and are there any songs around the same difficulty?

I've already learned alt picking, natural harmonics, scales, sliding, pulling and hammering. It would be helpful if you guys gimme a list of what to learn next, preferably in order.
what scales and have you learned them in multiple positions?

how about chord shapes? open chords? barre chords? "jazz" chords?

how about some basic theory? you know how but do you know why youre playing what you play?

otherwise, id advise just continuing to learn more songs and refine your techniques that you already know.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
Quote by Fifty Cal
I just got my schecter s1 elite for 300 bucks (yeah I know, what a steal ) last week. It even came with a case and D addario 11 gauge strings. I heard 11s aren't good for beginners, why is that?

Anyways I'm learning In The End By Linkin right now and are there any songs around the same difficulty?

I've already learned alt picking, natural harmonics, scales, sliding, pulling and hammering. It would be helpful if you guys gimme a list of what to learn next, preferably in order.

I think 11s aren't bad for beginners at all, unless people are talking about it being harder to bend and whatever. If anything, it trains up your strength.

IIRC, In The End only has power chords. You might want to try What I've Done. I think they only have power chords too. Might want to try Cherub Rock by The Smashing Pumpkins. Other than the solo, the song is just slightly above In The End in terms of difficulty.

Regarding techniques, I think what you know right now should be fine until you start to learn more difficult songs. In the meantime, you might want to make sure that you're not tensing up too much while playing, and that your playing is clean.

Freepower's video on Youtube will help in keeping your playing clean. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIEnzboW0Hc&feature=related

Edit: Actually, learn to do pinch harmonics.
Last edited by triface at Aug 10, 2010,
Quote by Fifty Cal
I just got my schecter s1 elite for 300 bucks (yeah I know, what a steal ) last week.

Since you are a natural genius (I didn't learn the stuff you learned in a week yet and I am playing for almost 20 years) I'd recommend going straight to somethining like Yngwee Malmsteen's "Black Flag", "Technical Difficulties" by RacerX then after a couple of days when you are done with these, you should go and get some Paganini pieces and transcribe them for guitar, then learn these.
Or maybe learn a C and G chords, alternatively.
Quote by Fifty Cal

Are you just trolling, or is there actually a big chunk of information you're negelcting to share with us?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
A really good thing to do is to memorize where all the notes are on the fretboard, it'll let you play much more freely.
Guitar isn't about what you can do, more about how well you can do it. You could be an amazing guitarist who's list of skills went "Chords, strumming".

If you're just a beginner then play around and have fun and figure out what you like to play. At that stage you need to just play enough and get your fingers moving.
Quote by mdeeRocks
Since you are a natural genius (I didn't learn the stuff you learned in a week yet and I am playing for almost 20 years) I'd recommend going straight to somethining like Yngwee Malmsteen's "Black Flag", "Technical Difficulties" by RacerX then after a couple of days when you are done with these, you should go and get some Paganini pieces and transcribe them for guitar, then learn these.
Or maybe learn a C and G chords, alternatively.
My thoughts exactly lol.