im looking into getting a solid state amp for gigging, what, besides the spider and the mg, would be good options?

im looking at the Cube 80x as well as the Vypyr
Do you have a price range, or perhaps a style of music?

And, for future reference, three of the amps you mentioned are digital, not transistor (solid state).

Edit: Ah, and an equally important question: Why solid state? Don't get me wrong I'm a huge fan of solid state amps but what makes you think to yourself 'huh, only a solid state will do what I need'?
Last edited by TimmyPage06 at Aug 10, 2010,
Quote by supersize
im looking at the Cube 80x

This is a very good idea. The Cubes are top shit.
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
Quote by TimmyPage06

And, for future reference, three of the amps you mentioned are digital, not transistor (solid state).

Still solid state and still use transistors. But also digital so you're partially right.

TS out of those two I would go for the Cube, but only because I've had a lot of experience with them and not used a Vypyr.

Really we need a bit more info like budget and style of music you will be playing.
"Music snobbery is the worst kind of snobbery. 'Oh, you like those noises? Those sounds in your ear? Do you like them? They're the wrong sounds. You should like these sounds in your ear.'"
- Dara O'Briain
Quote by TimmyPage06
Do you have a price range, or perhaps a style of music?

Edit: Ah, and an equally important question: Why solid state? Don't get me wrong I'm a huge fan of solid state amps but what makes you think to yourself 'huh, only a solid state will do what I need'?

Well my price range is 500 max about 600. I play a lot of 80s metal, but also a variety of different styles. I'm thinking solid state because I use a POD 2.0 and am using my current spider just as a speaker pretty much.

I found an ad for a used Valveking 212 for 350$. Would that be my best option? Or can I get something better new?

I don't know if it will make a difference in my POD tone because of the tubes

Sorry on being a MAJOR gear noob with my stupid questions
Last edited by supersize at Aug 10, 2010,
Quote by supersize
Well my price range is 500 max about 600. I play a lot of 80s metal, but also a variety of different styles. I'm thinking solid state because I use a POD 2.0 and am using my current spider just as a speaker pretty much.

I found an ad for a used Valveking 212 for 350$. Would that be my best option? Or can I get something better new?

Used Peavey Ultra head and an Avatar 2x12
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Last edited by Guitarbaddie at Aug 10, 2010,
Use the VK as a power amp for your POD 2.0. Run into the FX return on the Valveking.
Maybe consider swapping the tubes and speakers at some point.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Quote by TimmyPage06
Modern digital devices use transistors (which are indeed solid state). Not to mention the transistors used in those amps in an analog way in the pre- and poweramp (and before anyone says it, yes digital tube devices are possible, but I doubt that's the case here).

If you're gonna be smartass, at least do it right.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Yes digital valves did exist but not for long. They looked like this:

They didn't last long however so change that from "doubt that's the case here" to "can't possibly be the case here" - but they did help the allies win WW2.
There are digital amps with a valve power section however. So SS digital amp would be the correct terminology for a modelling front end with a SS amp. With your budget a modelling amp with a valve power section would be looking if you want a self contained solution (something like a Spider valve or Viper Tube).
However, you already have what is basically the front end of one anyway so a used tube amp to run your Pod into would be the best of both worlds, the best sounding solution and one you could afford.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Aug 10, 2010,
Quote by Cathbard

They didn't last long however so change that from "doubt that's the case here" to "can't possibly be the case here" - but they did help the allies win WW2.
The "doubt that's the case here" was more sarcastic for "no way in hell that's the case here".
There are digital amps with a valve power section however. So SS digital amp would be the correct terminology for a modelling front end with a SS amp. With your budget a modelling amp with a valve power section would be looking if you want a self contained solution (something like a Spider valve or Viper Tube).
However, you already have what is basically the front end of one anyway so a used tube amp to run your Pod into would be the best of both worlds, the best sounding solution and one you could afford.
That's a good idea. I concur. Best would be if you could find a tube amp with an FX loop.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Quote by Cathbard

One little note - i would definitely advise doing this, but you would probably need to make sure to remove the cabinet simulation on the pod when you're running though the FX return of a tube amp, because you'll be running your sound through an actual cabinet so you won't need it.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.