SORRY IF THIS IS A LOT TO READ, BUT I WOULD LIKE HELP IF YOU HAVE ANY

Ok, I've been learning a good amount of music theory in the past couple years.
I've learned my basic scales - major, minor, pentatonic, harmonic minor
I've learned my modes within the scales - Ionian, Dorian, etc...
I've learned my chords, constructing them, progressions, and how they fit within the scales.

I've been playing for 5, almost 6 years
my guitar teacher showed me my first scale (pentatonic) 2 years ago, and we would take turns soloing with it. Before then, I pretty much only played tabs and chords.

Since then, I've learned my scales and i solo with them by myself
After a while of learning some theory, I start to see the relations on my fretboard
like how the chords and arpeggios fit within the scales.

I know the basics in music theory and then some.
just wanted to give an overview of my experience so you guys know what level I'm at

I've been having a hard time utilizing my scales and modes to create feelings i want. I'm into progressive metal, my fav bands are Protest the hero, the human abstract, as blood runs black.

So I'm usually looking to create somber, depressing, sad, profound moods while using a lot of technical skills.

I normally just sit with my guitar in my room and play on the scales and modes. I try and play around with all modes. I've gotten a good feel for them.

I would say my fav mode is the Aeolian (minor scale), i also play with the harmonic minor. I try to create the feelings i mentioned. I suppose half the time, i get somewhat of a coherent melancholy feel, but the other half is just very bland.

I would like any help, tips, book/website references for being able to create moods

Thanks guys
just one more thing.
I've learned to use major and minor 3rd intervals within my soloing
but i need more tools to help create mood
ha yeah, I've been switching back and forth between Drop C and standard
Maybe incorporate some diminished scale and arpeggios into your work.
Also try to fit in some diminished 5th intervals into your playing, maybe some chromatics also.
Take a chord progression and find out which out-of-key notes you can play addition to the usual scales.
Study your favourite music and find out what those bands do to create some of the dark moods (which licks, scales, arpeggios they use and how they fit them on the backing chords)
Work on your phrasing, and then try playing melodies over chord progressions. Also, you're probably not playing the "Aeolian" mode, but just the natural minor scale.
Diatonic Harmony

Jazz Harmony

You will be set forever
Quote by BlitzkriegAir
1. Get drunk
2. play pentatonic scales fast
3. throw in some divebombs and pinch harmonics
4. Get killed onstage
5. become legendary guitarist instantaneously

Quote by Holy Katana

How dare you attack the greatness of the augmented sixth?
Quote by The_Toki
Work on your phrasing, and then try playing melodies over chord progressions. Also, you're probably not playing the "Aeolian" mode, but just the natural minor scale.

what do you mean, not playing "Aeolian"

I believe the Aeolian mode is the natural minor
is it not?
I've been having a hard time utilizing my scales and modes to create feelings i want. I'm into progressive metal, my fav bands are Protest the hero, the human abstract, as blood runs black.

This is your problem right here. You don't create feelings. You put your feelings in. Make the song feel what you feel by playing WITH that feel. It's one of those things you can't force.

And they're correct. You're NOT playing Aeolian... but instead you're playing the Minor scale. They are two different forms of music and if you're creating music like THA, PTH, or ABRB then you're not part of the Aeolian "Modal" Music, you're part of the Natural Minor's "Tonal" music.
Quote by DiminishedFifth
This is your problem right here. You don't create feelings. You put your feelings in. Make the song feel what you feel by playing WITH that feel. It's one of those things you can't force.

And they're correct. You're NOT playing Aeolian... but instead you're playing the Minor scale. They are two different forms of music and if you're creating music like THA, PTH, or ABRB then you're not part of the Aeolian "Modal" Music, you're part of the Natural Minor's "Tonal" music.

Please explain, if you can, what the difference between the aeolian and natural minor

I'd assume I'd be on the right track if I said that they're different because the aeolian is technically a mode of the Major scale, and the Natural minor should be viewed separately...?

Also, Thanks for helping me out everyone
I personally don't know too many people who have much knowledge of music theory
Quote by dlfloyd
Please explain, if you can, what the difference between the aeolian and natural minor

I'd assume I'd be on the right track if I said that they're different because the aeolian is technically a mode of the Major scale, and the Natural minor should be viewed separately...?

It's their uses that separates them. One is Modal (Aeolian) whereas the other is Tonal (Natural Minor). Modal music is much more restricting and the rules are different than tonal music. When writing Modal music you want to accent the Modal "flavor". Aeolian has a different "flavor" than the Natural Minor because of the things you do to show it.

Here is a piece in A Aeolian.
Here is a piece in A Minor.

Notice the two different sounds.
this is the kinda stuff i should learn

should i just search theory under tonal music and modal music to learn more on the proper usage of modes and scales
Quote by dlfloyd
this is the kinda stuff i should learn

should i just search theory under tonal music and modal music to learn more on the proper usage of modes and scales

Concentrate on tonal more than modal, because you will use tonal music more than modal. You said that you have a guitar teacher? He should be able to help you with this.