most people would say that the solo is based on the Am diatonic scale, but since the solo starts with a D(7th fret 3rd string) and ends with a D(20th fret high E string bended up a whole step) wouldn't that make it D Dorian? Just asking because modes really confuse me.
Quote by Calibos
I thought it was based on Amin pentatonic?

That's because it is.
No because you also use F and B which don't belong to the Am pentatonic scale
Quote by rkk94
No because you also use F and B which don't belong to the Am pentatonic scale

The F and B notes belong to the A minor scale
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
The F and B notes belong to the A minor scale

yeah, but not to the pentatonic
Quote by Keth
The starting and ending notes have nothing to do with what mode you are in, it's about the backing, which is in A minor.

what do you mean by backing?
Quote by rkk94
yeah, but not to the pentatonic

You're missing the point. The key of the song is in A minor, so it's appropriate to use the A minor scale. The A minor penatonic is just 5 of the 7 notes that makes the minor, so you are really just playing the A minor scale.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
You're missing the point. The key of the song is in A minor, so it's appropriate to use the A minor scale. The A minor penatonic is just 5 of the 7 notes that makes the minor, so you are really just playing the A minor scale.

why am i not getting this?
Quote by rkk94
why am i not getting this?

Probably just bad advice about modes. What aren't you clear on?
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
Probably just bad advice about modes. What aren't you clear on?

Pretty much the benefit of mdes, they are derived form the major scale, so why can't we just use that? And how do we know which mode a song is written in?
Quote by rkk94
Pretty much the benefit of mdes, they are derived form the major scale, so why can't we just use that? And how do we know which mode a song is written in?

Haha. Well the benefits of modes are debatable. But for a beginner they're nothing but a source of frustration.

Firstly, modes are only used when a song is modal. 99.9% of songs are not, including this one, and probably all the music you want to learn.

Secondly, if a song is in X major or Y minor, they are not modal, and no modes will be used. Instead you will be using the X major or Y minor scale, like here.

So the word then for your second question is what "key" do we know a song is written in. We know this by learning where the song resolves to - in it's simplest form you could say it's the chord where the song feels like it ends. So you play an A minor chord at the end of Stairway, and it feels just right. There is theory behind it, but start by learning about the major and minor scales, how they relate to chords before venturing there.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
Haha. Well the benefits of modes are debatable. But for a beginner they're nothing but a source of frustration.

Firstly, modes are only used when a song is modal. 99.9% of songs are not, including this one, and probably all the music you want to learn.

Secondly, if a song is in X major or Y minor, they are not modal, and no modes will be used. Instead you will be using the X major or Y minor scale, like here.

So the word then for your second question is what "key" do we know a song is written in. We know this by learning where the song resolves to - in it's simplest form you could say it's the chord where the song feels like it ends. So you play an A minor chord at the end of Stairway, and it feels just right. There is theory behind it, but start by learning about the major and minor scales, how they relate to chords before venturing there.

Thanks you are more helpful than all the lessons ive read. btw i know how to play the major scale in all keys with all 5 grids anywhere on the fretboard(really) so where do i go from here?
Quote by rkk94
Thanks you are more helpful than all the lessons ive read. btw i know how to play the major scale in all keys with all 5 grids anywhere on the fretboard(really) so where do i go from here?

Do you know your minor scales too? And also the root notes of the scales? (Ie. Where A is on the fretboard when playing the a minor/major scales)
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
Do you know your minor scales too? And also the root notes of the scales? (Ie. Where A is on the fretboard when playing the a minor/major scales)

well i know to do that with major scales, but i can simply change it to a minor scale, i mean if you tell me to play the Aminor scale i can simply play the Cmajor and the root notes would be A. I also know how to derive the parent scale if you give me a bunch of chords. Is that enough? i have been playing for a year do i need any more theory than i already know(i know how to read music and i understand how chords are made). where should i go from here?
Quote by rkk94
where should i go from here?

Maybe you should learn how to tell the key of a song then. That way you could use the scales in songs. As mentioned above, a song in X major or Y minor key will utilise the X major or Y minor scales, so once you can figure out the key of a song, you'll instantly be able to solo over it.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
Maybe you should learn how to tell the key of a song then. That way you could use the scales in songs. As mentioned above, a song in X major or Y minor key will utilise the X major or Y minor scales, so once you can figure out the key of a song, you'll instantly be able to solo over it.

K thanks man you were the most help tahn anyone i ever asked