I'm going to buy my first bass soon(been playing guitar for over 3 years now) and the only thing I need help deciding on is whether it's gonna have 4 or 5 strings.

The main reason I want a 5-string is because I regret now that I don't havea 7-string guitar yet, I don't want to make that mistake again. This will probably be my only bass for years to come, so I want to get it right.

I'm also looking for a versatile bass, even though I'll mostly be playing metal, I want to be able to play all genres basically. So, a 5-string seems to be best.

The only thing holding me back is that I don't know whether 5 strings might be harder to play, especially at the beginning. Also, does the 5th string get in the way when you don't need it?
Does your low E string get in the way when you're trying to play? Nope. You'll get used to it. You've been playing guitar for a few years, you know you can handle a stringed instrument, and you regret not having a low B on your guitar...

Sounds like you should get a five-string. It's going to be different learning to play a bass compared to a guitar regardless of how many strings it has; having five won't be any harder than having four.
low strings never get in the way. the High C on my 6string bass gets in the way sometimes when im doing flamenco strumming but never the low b on anything.

the string spacing on a 5 is a little tighter than on a four but again this really shouldn't be a problem since you're so used to guitar. Also since you're a fan of metal you will come across many bands that use the low B.

My honest opinion is that you would be silly to not get a five
no sir away a papaya war is on
Thanks, exactly what I was thinking, just needed to hear it from someone else

Any suggestions for a budget of about €600?
i would go with a 4 string you realy cant go wrong. i would say less then half of bassists use 5 strings and in the long run it's allways good to have a 4 string to go back to if you do decide to get a 5 string later.
ESP B-405,Fender American Jazz Bass(EMG J active pups and LEO QUAN BADASS II ) squire P bass(EMG P active Pups)),
SansAmp Bass driver DI
Ampeg SvP PRO Tube Preamp
QSC2450 Power amp
Furman PL8
FINALLY-Ampeg SVT 810E
Quote by Emergancy Exit
i would go with a 4 string you realy cant go wrong. i would say less then half of bassists use 5 strings and in the long run it's allways good to have a 4 string to go back to if you do decide to get a 5 string later.

don't see the point personally
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
i would say go 5 string i started out on a 6 string bass (i had been playing lead guitar about a year prior and thought id be similar) i still play the 6 string (whenever i get a bass gig) but find more of an interest in 5 because when i play a 4 string i miss the low b string but i almost never (just me) miss the high c. I feel as though i must buy a 5 soon and stop borrowing my friends Ibanez
Quote by bartnijman
take a 5-string. If you think the xtra string is in the way, just remove it

doesn't really work that way.

But I can't imagine a lower string getting in the way, it literally took me about 2 days to get used to it.
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Quote by smb
Does your 600 euro budget include an amp?

No, that's just for the bass.

I've been looking at the Ibanez SR505

I like the looks and fits perfectly in my price range.
Anyone got experience with this? Other suggestions are still welcome.
The SR505 is a great bass. Ibanez has made about a million billion of them though so they're pretty cheap used