Hiya U-G Forums! My name is Devon and I've been using this Fender G-DEC for about 2 years now and I was thinking about upgrading from it. Until about 1 month ago I never really took playing guitar serious to where I wanted to learn to read sheet music or anything like that. I've really started taking guitar alittle more serious now. I'm now learning how to read sheet music and working on my overall sloppiness for atleast 4 hour a day.(I'm 16[until the 25th]/jobless so I have plenty of time on my hands) My friend was telling me I should upgrade my amp for my birthday and suggested the Marshall MG4 Series MG100HFXRS and MG412ARS Half Stack, but I heard it's not all that great so I'm here to ask you guys what is the best amp for the $550 range?

*Sorry for my life's story..*
The MG series would be a downgrade from your Fender G-DEC. Just because it's a stack doesn't mean it's good.

What styles of music do you play?
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
DEVON? which one?

Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
Fender HotRod Deville! Just try it, it's the best amp I've ever played on, that's certain.
Quote by Raijouta
The MG series would be a downgrade from your Fender G-DEC. Just because it's a stack doesn't mean it's good.

What styles of music do you play?

I like to play all sorts of rock.
Pretty much anywhere from Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins to Bullet for my Valentine, Avenged Sevenfold. Love love love love playing Metallica.

I try to keep an open-mind to all genres.
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/B-52-LS100-and-LS412A-Half-Stack?sku=482088
i have one of these, and a marshall mg100hfx with an mg412b cab in my garage, the mg is absolutely terrible, never get one, ever. the B-52 LS-100 w/ ls 412a cab, on the other hand, is the best amp i have ever played, hands down. strong, but smooth gain, with great sound, and crystal clear clean tones. i would seriously research this amp if i were you.
Quote by Non-Fiction
Pretty much anywhere from Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins to Bullet for my Valentine, Avenged Sevenfold. Love love love love playing Metallica.

my B-52 suggestion i made: absolutely perfect for metallica sounds
Quote by Non-Fiction

Bugera 1990
Mother of God, none of the amps suggested so far are any good for what you want.

I'd recommend the Peavey Vypyr Tube 60.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
blackstar ht-20 or peavey vypyr tube 60
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
Quote by NosralTserrof
Jet City Or Blackstar.

you beat me to my daily jet city recommendation

great price and awesome tone, dont let anyone tell you that you cant get metallica out of it.
Gibson RawPower SG 2009 (Zales)
Gibson Hummingbird 70's? (Amy)
Jet City JCA 20 Watt Combo
Dunlop Crybaby wah
MXR 10 Band EQ
Ibanez TS-9
Quote by cheesecakes4
Fender HotRod Deville! Just try it, it's the best amp I've ever played on, that's certain.
How is that a reason to recommend it?!?!
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Which one would be better?

B-52 LS100 and LS412A Half Stack for $500

vs

Peavy Bandit 112 + Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah Pedal + BOSS DS-1 for $410

vs

B-52 LG-7512 75W 12 Solid State Guitar Combo + Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah Pedal + BOSS DS-1 for $410
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by seemeel
DEVON? which one?

wth are you talking about?
COOLEST GUITAR EVER!
Peavey: Vypyr 15W
ESP: H-1001
Guitar Rig 5 with Kontrol
Eleven rack
Fender blues Jr III
Gibson Les Paul Studio Pro
Daredevil 77 IC Op-Amp Fuzz
I think he just asked if you are a woman or a man lol.

I looking used if possible for traynor ycv50 blue or a Triple X combo. If used is not possible, the the jca20 is a nice choise.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
^ Now we are getting somewhere. The YCV is fantastic (though you'll need a boost at some point). The XXX is great, also keep an eye out for the old peavey ultra combo. Maybe the 5105.

The blackstar and JCA20 recs are good to, both may need a boost at some point.

Also keep an eye out for a used marshall jcm900 combo.
*sigh* a lot of massive fail at the beginning here.

I'd go for a Jet City JCA20. They are awesome sounding amps, only one channel, but it doesn't sound like you're going to need channel switching anytime soon, and once you get there, you'll learn how to make it work with 1 channel. The JCA is one of the best amps I've heard in a long time, and it's cheap as ****. Plus, it will absolutely destroy any cheap solid state you're planning on buying, and 20w tube is pretty damn loud.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
With a half stack I think the jca20h would be plenty loud playing with a loud drummer.

Do you already have an overdrive or boost pedal? You'll probably need one if you want to play the more modern Metallica songs.

Washburn X50PRO FE (GuitarHeads active bridge pickup)
Dean Vendetta XM
Jet City JCA20H head, w Eminence Texas Heat 12"
Danelectro Transparent Overdrive
Ibanez TS7
DigiTech RP-255
Behringer VD1 (Big Muff PI clone)
Vox Night Train with a tubechange of the preamp tubes to: TAD 7025-s (v1) and Tung-Sol 12AX7 (v2). Seriously!!! Makes a huuge difference to a already brilliant amp, and the tubes will cost you a few bucks and are easy to change.
Guitar: Gibson Slash Les Paul Standard USA 2008
Pickups: Seymour Duncan Alnico-II Pro (APH-1)
Amps: Vox Night Train + V112NT - Vox Valvetronix VT30 - Vox AmPlug AC30
Strings: Elixir Nanoweb 10-46
Picks: Jim Dunlop: Jazz III / Stubby 2mm