So I wanna put some nice pickups in my Gibson Les Paul. I play mainly blues/blues rock/hard rock stuff. Think BB King-Zeppelin and everything in between. Budget wise I probably wouldn't wanna go over 200 for a set.

I've narrowed it down to

Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates in Bridge/Seymour Duncan 59 in the neck

Gibson Classic 57 set.

Seymour Duncan Vintage Blues Set which is a 59 in the neck and bridge.

I'm open to more suggestion.

I'm having a tough time on figuring out which is the best.
What's a Seth Lover? I'm not real knowledgeable when it comes to pick ups especially humbuckers.
What Gibson Les Paul do you have? Trad Pluses come with Classic 57 & 57+. Trad Pro with Classic & Burstbucker.
Moving on.....
the 1st and 3rd option. The Gibson pickups are good, but they're really overpriced.

Also check out seymour duncan antiquities if u can afford them.
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
I think a set of Burstbuckers would be about perfect for what you're looking for.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
i think a dimarzio humbucker from hell in the neck position and a mo joe in the bridge
Ibanez rg770
Washburn x50proq
Ibanez rg7621
peavey 6505 plus combo
Boss Ge 7
vox satchurator
Cae mc404 wah
Quote by ethan_hanus
Barenuckle's The Mule pickups will do what you want better than all the above.
And they will break his budget. As will the BurstBuckers mentioned above, though I do agree that a couple of BBs - specifically the #1 model for the neck and #2 for the bridge - is really what OP is after.

OP, look into Tonerider pickups and IronGear pickups. They both do mid-power, traditional alnico IV humbuckers that would suit you well, and they're some of the few relatively decent PAF-esque pickups which won't leave you penniless. If those don't quite tickle your fancy, an SD Seth Lover in the neck and a Pearly Gates or '59 model in the bridge would work quite well. For a bit more grunt and a little more flexibility, a '59 int he neck and a Custom Custom in the bridge is a popular choice (a '59 in both positions isn't recommended as the bridge model often gets overpowered by the neck model; a Custom Custom is similar to the '59 but wound a little hotter, so it's a better match in the bridge if you take the '59 in the neck).
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by KenG
What Gibson Les Paul do you have? Trad Pluses come with Classic 57 & 57+. Trad Pro with Classic & Burstbucker.

I have a Les Paul Standard from 08. It has Burstbucker Pros and they're just not doing the trick.

Thanks for all of the info Mr.Flibble. I'll look into all of those.
Quote by MrFlibble
And they will break his budget. As will the BurstBuckers mentioned above, though I do agree that a couple of BBs - specifically the #1 model for the neck and #2 for the bridge - is really what OP is after.

OP, look into Tonerider pickups and IronGear pickups. They both do mid-power, traditional alnico IV humbuckers that would suit you well, and they're some of the few relatively decent PAF-esque pickups which won't leave you penniless. If those don't quite tickle your fancy, an SD Seth Lover in the neck and a Pearly Gates or '59 model in the bridge would work quite well. For a bit more grunt and a little more flexibility, a '59 int he neck and a Custom Custom in the bridge is a popular choice (a '59 in both positions isn't recommended as the bridge model often gets overpowered by the neck model; a Custom Custom is similar to the '59 but wound a little hotter, so it's a better match in the bridge if you take the '59 in the neck).

Oh, woops, missed the budget part, my bad.
I second Duncan Antiquities. '59s can really sound pretty lame in a lot of guitars, but it works well in others. I'd pass on the BBs. No reason to buy them over the Seymour Duncans and they cost the same.

Or just join MLP and get a discount on Guitar Force pickups. That's probably the best option that is also most price effective. KevinT is the guy that makes them, they would very good and a Lord of the Blues set if you want lower output or a Rebel PAF/Force '59 if you want something with more heat. I've been favoring overwound PAF style pickups ~9k a little more as of late. So see if you couldn't also find a set of used Wolfetone Marshallheads for under $200. Trolling the classifieds sections on TGP or MLP is a good way to find good deals.
Last edited by al112987 at Aug 11, 2010,
Quote by al112987
No reason to buy them over the Seymour Duncans.
They sound different. Pretty much all the reason you need to buy any pickup.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
I believe I'm going to go with a Duncan Custom in the bridge and a 59' in the neck.