I've been reading around and have been wondering, is it better to keep the channel volume high and the master volume low, or the other way around? This just occurred to me, at the moment I've been balancing the lead/channel volumes to get no drop when changing channels and just using the master to control overall.
Quote by Kensai
Please, I eat gays for breakfast...

Quote by Kensai
I must be even further in the closet then
I've been wondering this myself. I usually have the channel volume a bit higher than master, but I can't really tell much difference.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
My thinking was obviously if you want nice overdriven powertubes obviously the master needs to start going up, but if you're running on pre-amp gain, perhaps it would be better to keep the master low and just play with channel volume.

This is just me musing - I don't know a lot you see
Quote by Kensai

Quote by Kensai
Well I have no gain in my amp whatsoever, so I doubt it matters much for me... But with a multi-channel amp this could be a big factor in getting the most of your amp.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
See, I'm really hoping MatrixClaw with his experience of every amp in the world ever will come in and give his findings, as I'm sure he's played with it a lot.
Quote by Kensai

Quote by Kensai
I don't have a whole hell of a lot of experience in this either, but in my experience, for more gain use lower channel volume and up the master a tad, and for nice cleans, up the channel volume a bit and back off the master. Just saying, even though I would think in the end, it would come down to software/hardware combinations as well as some personal preference. Play with it a bit and see what you get!
Personally I try to balance out channel and master volume for the most part. I was actually messing around with this on my single recto yesterday. Part of it comes down to what kind of sound you want. I ended up liking to master around 4-5 and the channel about 4 (would've turned up louder but playing in a small room kind of destroys your ears getting up that loud). I'm kind of thinking I would like the master around 4 or so and the channel around 6 or 7 but yeah... volume.

On my JSX I usually had it pretty balanced out. I think generally for shows I would have the master about 4-5 and channel about 6-7. Never messed with it much though. It's in the shop right now though.
I have a huge fear if rays.
I usually set all my channel volume levels...cleans and rhythm/crunch the same level...solo channel a bit higher, and then use the master volume from there. So my channel volumes stay in the same spot...get to practice or a gig, and check stage volume, adjust from there with the master volume knob. That way, my level are still in check (boost in volume for solos, etc.).
I like how much thicker the tone becomes with the master cranked and the channel volumes set lower.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Quote by Van Noord
I like how much thicker the tone becomes with the master cranked and the channel volumes set lower.

this is my approach

just tune it to how it sounds on the channel first, then increase master till it sounds good.

keep channel volume at noon.