When i started ripping music to my iPod years ago i thought i'd do everything at 128KB/S to save space, but now as i've got really good headphones they keep crackling. i know it's nothing to do with the Headphones or iPod as i've tried playing through the PC and i get the same result.

The CD doesn't crackle at all but i really don't want to Rip all those hundreds of CDs again and lose my play counts and ratings.

So what i'm wondering is if you could somehow improve the quality? Like maybe change from 128 to 320KB/S?

Shame if not but great if possible

Any help is appreciated!
yeah you could try 320 kb/s (certainly a lot better) or even start ripping in .wav or .flac format, although those formats make for larger sizes.

EDIT: didn't answer your question...

no, there isn't any way to make a crappy sounding file sound better. you'll just have to re-rip everything.
Last edited by gnomieowns at Aug 10, 2010,
once you go with crap, you cant go back. you have to start over.

i've never thought of the 128 sound as being crackly, so maybe that's not your problem. But then, everyone describes what they hear differently.
128 is audible to even an average human ear.
192 is audible to only people that really know what they're looking for.
320 isn't audible at all, only visible.

iPods won't play FLAC, btw. You'll need to use ALAC, which is Apple's alternative. Makes the files slightly smaller, if I remember correctly.
Oh right, ok. i wouldn't want to go with with FLAC anyway. Too big.

i've got 10658 songs and i really cba to rip over 200 CDs again...

it's not a huge issue, just would be nice to not have that crackling sound, it's quite quiet anyway.

Edit: i've never heard the crackling before. it's since i got these new headphones where literally everything is audible.
Last edited by Afroboy267 at Aug 10, 2010,
You could probably redirect itunes to the new files after you rip them again, that might keep our play count and information, but not necessarily.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
I started ripping all my CDs to FLAC about a year ago and any MP3s I've been encoding at 320 just because I can't stand the highly compressed sound.

As SanyMan said, "Once you go with crap, you can't go back"
If you are going to rip, you might as well do it at the highest quality as you can't improve the sound quality without re-ripping. Also you will most likely have these archived on HDDs for life....or at least until they die out and we move to hyper-cube-storage LOL
Once ripped and backed up, the quality won't degrade any, so start with the best.

Search TechGuyLabs on how to back up meta data or whatever it's called on iTunes.....I THINK there's a way to save all that and re-direct the new files to it.
I've stopped using iTunes years ago though, MediaMonkey is my new best friend on any Windows computer.
Last edited by moody07747 at Aug 10, 2010,
i'm not entirly sure it's worth the effort of ripping all my CDs again just to be rid of the crackling sound. i'll keep in mind for when i get new CDs though, cheers.
128 kb/s AAC (Apple Audio Codec, also called mp4) will generally sound better than a 128 kb/s mp3. At 320 though, the difference isn't audible (if it exists). If you do rerip at 320 kb/s, do it in VBR. It changes the bit rate at less 'complex' parts of songs that don't need as high of a bit rate. No audible difference in audio quality, but it will save you hard drive space.

(By the way, this is my inner Computer Science major coming out and geeking it up but, you mean to say 128 kb/s. 128 KB/s and 128 kb/s are a huge difference. One is kilobytes, one is kilobits, not that it matters in standard conversation :P )
Let's also address the fact that most people use those cheap iPod ear buds to listen to their songs. On monitoring devices like that as well as the low sound quality output of an iPod player, you won't even be able to notice the difference between most of these different compression types.