I have a floating bridge on my stratocaster and I hate when it goes out of tune, which is almost everytime i use the whammy bar. Is there a way to turn a floating bridge into a fixed bridge? Or is it at least possible to replace the floating bridge with a fixed bridge?
LIFE'S ABOUT A MOVEMENT NOT AN IMAGE.
You open up the tremolo cavity and stick in a small piece of wood or i've heard of people using used 9v batterys and you adjust the springs so that the object is tightly in place this will block the tremolo from moving.
Is the whammy bar still useable after?
Oh i still need use out of it after i fix it in place.
Uh... Do you understand what a fixed bridge is? After you block off you will not be able to use it again unless you unblock it.
Breaking stereotypes by playing indie on a metal guitar.

Current Gear
- Epiphone Les Paul Standard (Plus Top)
- Crappy Strat Copy (Redecorated, looks snazzy)
- Ibanez Acoustic/Electric Guitar
- Ibanez RG1570 Mirage Blue
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Watt
Quote by ☻☺☻
Oh i still need use out of it after i fix it in place.

lmao

gregs if you're watching this thread you're right about EG
Do the battery thing, i use a AA, but a 9V would work too
Quote by AgentWiggles
Thanks, douche.

Quote by SlayingDragons
Dude...

Gear:
Ibanez SZ 520QM
Ibanez RG 450DXB
Fender Big Apple Stratocaster
Pod XT Live
Peavey XXX Half Stack
Peavey Bandit 112
and a soul of Rock n' Roll
Isnt there such thing as a tremelo bridge thats not floating?
Quote by ☻☺☻
Isnt there such thing as a tremelo bridge thats not floating?

Yeah you just need to adjust the springs at the back so you can't pull up. Thats not really a fixed bridge though which is what you asked for originally.
Ok yea thats what i need. i didnt quite know how to say it though
Do you have a double locking tremelo on your strat? (I highly doubt it). You probably have a regular tremelo on your strat. If thats the case, just add more strings at the back untill the bridge sits up against the body of the guitar. After you do this, you can still use the tremelo, but only to lower the pitch of the strings.
Will it help with my issue of going out of tune or will i have to figure out what else is wrong with it?
Quote by ☻☺☻
Will it help with my issue of going out of tune or will i have to figure out what else is wrong with it?

It'll be more stable then it was with the bridge floating but you probably will still go out tune if you abuse the tremolo arm with divebombs and such.
was this guitar pretty cheap? if thats the case its just low quality components that are the issue
Quote by Iain.Peters
Guthrie Govan. 'nuff said.
Quote by ☻☺☻

Not really, but it's going to be much easier to tune, since it's not floating. I personally wouldn't use a tremelo unless it's double locking.

For your tuning issue, try putting graphite (pencil shavings) in the nut slots, it really helps the strings slide in the nut, so that it won't go out of tune as much.
Here's what I do, I open up the back of the guitar, take a stack of picks, and hold them up to the cavity between the tremolo block and the guitar wood and remove or add pics to make it the same size as that cavity. Then I wrap a piece of tape around them, remove a couple of springs (carefully), and shove the stack of picks in there. Then I put the springs back on and make sure the trem is level with the body.

There you have it, you can still use the tremolo function and do dive bombs, but you can't do pull ups. And you can drop tune as much as you want too.
Last edited by W4RP1G at Aug 10, 2010,
What kind of Strat is it? If it's a squier, or import, or even a lower end American Fender, you'd really benefit from something like a graphtech TusqXL nut. I've got one on my parts-o-caster and it helped tremendously. It's self lubricated so it takes more kindly to heavy tremolo use than a regular plastic nut. Not to mention it will make an improvement in the way your strat sounds.

Some other options/things to look into include a roller nut and better (possibly locking) tuners.

This all hinges on exactly what strat you have. I'm not a trem user though, and I ended up blocking mine off so it's solid.
Gear:
1998 PRS CE 22-10 Top Natural Finish
MIM HSS Strat-Electron Blue
Vox AC4TV
Quote by Rautio
You just need more cowbell to hide the fact that it's out of tune.

Uh...no.

It's most likely just bad saddles, all versions of strats are famous for being shipped with cruddy saddles from the factory. I would replace them with some more high quality saddles, and replace the nut with a graphite one or a Teflon one.
You want to convert a tremolo into a fixed bridge and you wonder if you'll still be able to use the whammy bar.

sigh...

If you have tuning problems after tremolo use, replace the saddles and nut with better quality ones (Graph-Tech for instance), learn to string the guitar as shown here, and give newly replaced strings a good stretch.

That should significantly increase tuning stability.
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.