Sup GG&A

So a while back I obtained a Hot Rod Deluxe.

Most beautiful clean tones ever. It's magic. And great with my strat. I got it for my bluesy fix, and it delivers.

However, I find myself in need of some classic metal tones, which often were crafted from the bold 6L6's etc.

Tones like early sabbath, maiden, priest, motörhead, and:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5afBoqqVlZw

And, of course:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzXJKOhpxME

I have a Dean with humbuckers, and my current pedal pool includes

The only drives and distortions I have are the line 6, which sounds better the shittier the amp, and my Yngwie drive/boost, which only sounds good at high speeds and with one scale while feeling arrogant.

Of course I do research and stuff, but I need people's experiences. Anyone who has tried to achieve some of these groundbreaking tones, what would you recommend? Do you still use it? I'm on a tight budget from classes right now, so another amp is out of the question for now. Thanks for the input, guys. (Kabbage Boy was a joke, in case anyone missed that.)
Quote by diofan88
Life's too short to drink cheap beer.
Quote by beadhangingOne
Every band is a lotr metal band. Metal is like Guile's theme for Lotr.
Quote by mcjosh
Whoever thinks Japan deserved the tsunami in any way should just go away and fucking die alone.
Most early metal is EL34 not 6l6. Lemmy played through some kind of marshall and Iommi used orange for a bit before switching to Laney. Not sure about Maiden or Priest though. What's your budget? And are you going to play in a band with it or just mess around by yourself?

The Jet City JA20 is your best bet, maybe with a better OD/boost. From what I've heard its a fantastic amp, I think Matrixclaw has one.It'll definitely nail sabbath.

EDIT: I am confused now, do you just want a pedal for the fender or another amp? I thought you meant the latter with that talk of 6l6s.
For Frodo!
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
No because a world full of marbles silly man is just as real as a half empty glass of microwaved nesquik.
Last edited by robertito696 at Aug 10, 2010,
Haha, love the Yngwie joke. I'm sorry to have to break it to you, but if you have actual experience with what a good amp sounds like, you are never gonna be satisfied with a distortion pedal, unless you're slightly deaf. You just can't put a tube amp in a pedal.
Quote by robertito696
Most early metal is EL34 not 6l6. Lemmy played through some kind of marshall and Iommi used orange for a bit before switching to Laney. Not sure about Maiden or Priest though. What's your budget? And are you going to play in a band with it or just mess around by yourself?

The Jet City JA20 is your best bet, maybe with a better OD/boost. From what I've heard its a fantastic amp, I think Matrixclaw has one.It'll definitely nail sabbath.

Did you even see the part about a new amp being out of the question :/
[Gibson Explorer]
[Ibanez RG1XXV]
[Line6 PodHD]
[ENGL Retro Tube 100]
[Dunlop CryBaby]
Quote by Danjo's Guitar
Haha, love the Yngwie joke. I'm sorry to have to break it to you, but if you have actual experience with what a good amp sounds like, you are never gonna be satisfied with a distortion pedal, unless you're slightly deaf. You just can't put a tube amp in a pedal.

True, but you can drive the hell out of the preamp.

I would try two things, get an OD boost pedal, and use it to drive the preamp of your Fender harder, and you might get there.

Option two, get a nice distortion pedal, like a Fulltone OCD, or Hardwire SC-2 or TL-2, and hope it gets you there.
[quote="'[Azrael"]']Did you even see the part about a new amp being out of the question :/

I just skimmed so all I saw was that he's on a tight budget, didn't realize how tight. OP wasn't super clear to be honest. Why did he even mention that crap about 6l6s above the youtube links?
For Frodo!
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
No because a world full of marbles silly man is just as real as a half empty glass of microwaved nesquik.
I like the amp for various styles, but I'm just trying to find a good compromise for heavy metal since it's an unusual amp for the genre. I mentioned the 6l6's to give an idea of the amp's main sound, just in case anyone wasn't sure where it lies on the spectrum.

EDIT: It sounds like until I can afford a Mesa, finding a decent drive that will push me in the direction I want to go is my only option. That's fine, for now. This is for fun and recording, I don't play live shows, just with friends.
Quote by diofan88
Quote by beadhangingOne
Quote by mcjosh
Whoever thinks Japan deserved the tsunami in any way should just go away and fucking die alone.
Last edited by BeerBlood at Aug 10, 2010,
He wants a tone similar to the one created by those amps, and he's asking how to achieve it using what he has.
[Gibson Explorer]
[Ibanez RG1XXV]
[Line6 PodHD]
[ENGL Retro Tube 100]
[Dunlop CryBaby]
Quote by BeerBlood
I like the amp for various styles, but I'm just trying to find a good compromise for heavy metal since it's an unusual amp for the genre. I mentioned the 6l6's to give an idea of the amp's main sound, just in case anyone wasn't sure where it lies on the spectrum.

Alright, fair enough. I should have read more carefully. The Digitech hardwire Valve Distortion should get you pretty close, I used to use it with my v18.
For Frodo!
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
I appreciate the help, guys. I should be able to get A pedal or two, depending on the ranges of some of these, soon enough. That Jet City brand doesn't seem too costly, but I don't have a guitar center in town to try one out. :/
Quote by diofan88
Quote by beadhangingOne
Quote by mcjosh
Quote by robertito696
Alright, fair enough. I should have read more carefully. The Digitech hardwire Valve Distortion should get you pretty close, I used to use it with my v18.

Yeah, it has a very Marshally type distortion, works great on a good clean channel.
Quote by Danjo's Guitar

If anyone was wondering, the Yngwie pedal actually gives an incredible lead boost. What makes it meh is its weak and flat drive. No bass. It leaves you with a weird thirsty feeling.
Quote by diofan88
Quote by beadhangingOne
Quote by mcjosh
If you want to get some better tone control, get and EQ pedal, the 10 band I have has been the best investment I've made for my tone.

Off subject, what do you think about that Carbon Copy? I'm thinking about getting one.
ESP Eclipse Standard Series W/ PRS Santana II Pickups
PRS SE Soapbar II
Peavey 5150 120w Head
Avatar 412 Traditional Cab(v30's+G12H30's)
Malekko, Rocktron, T-Rex and MXR/Dunlop pedals
Quote by Arch1119
If you want to get some better tone control, get and EQ pedal, the 10 band I have has been the best investment I've made for my tone.

Off subject, what do you think about that Carbon Copy? I'm thinking about getting one.

I'll never need another delay pedal, I can tell you that. It's sensitive, and you can change the timbre of the repeated notes with that little mod button. The only delay I used before it was out of a modeling amp, so of course I love it. My friends and I made some Pink Floyd magic with it effortlessly.
Quote by diofan88
Quote by beadhangingOne
Quote by mcjosh
Quote by Danjo's Guitar
You just can't put a tube amp in a pedal.

I'll take you up on that challenge one of these days. Admittedly it'd be a pretty big pedal.

TS, look at the Wampler Pinnacle and Plextortion and the Catalinbread DLS.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Will do. So I'm looking at a few versatile (and good) drive pedals and an EQ to help me sculpt my tone to the right ball park. You guys have helped a ton already.

If anyone is interested in the amp, my blue box can push it really nice, the lead tones are ridiculously easy to come by on this amp. I'm hoping I can get some tight crunchy low end tones soon, because that's really the only area in which the dirty channels lack.

If the thread isn't dead when I get back I'll follow up on mixing and matching I never really got to due to the lack of batteries (Plus it's been a while anyway, due to my wrist condition). I'll see if I can salvage the damn Über metal before I just sell it.
Quote by diofan88
Quote by beadhangingOne
Quote by mcjosh
Maybe I missed something but if you are wanting a disti pedal for your Fender HRD the pedal I might recommend is a MI Audio Crunch Box.

mmolteratx suggestions are good too I just don't have any experience with them.
the blackstar valve distortion pedals are really thick sounding....

best distortion i've heard in a pedal IMO.
Quote by daverichards
the blackstar valve distortion pedals are really thick sounding....

best distortion i've heard in a pedal IMO.

That pedal is incredible...

If I invested in one of those, would it be of any use if I was going to purchase a Blackstar or Mesa anyway? Although by the sound of it I wouldn't need it with a pedal like that.
Quote by diofan88
Quote by beadhangingOne
Quote by mcjosh
+1 to those who suggested the DLS. It gives you a great crunchy marshall sound and you can dial in a ridiculous range of tones. I use it like it is almost a second amp. Often times I'll turn the gain down low, crank the volume, then stack pedals on top of it whenever I feel like I want a different voicing than that of my amp's clean channel
Or you can be super dedicated like me and buy some high gain preamp tubes, crank the clean channel and use a boost. Gives a nice early metal impression. You can get chunk out of it. I actually recorded a clip years ago, I'll see if I can find it.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Or you can be super dedicated like me and buy some high gain preamp tubes, crank the clean channel and use a boost. Gives a nice early metal impression. You can get chunk out of it. I actually recorded a clip years ago, I'll see if I can find it.

Sounds good. I'm going to end up buying a new amp eventually. Most of my favourite bands used Marshalls, so I might just hold out for one of those. Until then I'm going to pick up that EQ pedal and a nice distortion. The DistX has been the most impressive to me so far. Anyone have any experience with it? Or the other two they offer, they all seemed incredible in Andy's hands.

http://proguitarshop.com/store/effects-distortion-pedals-c-12/blackstar-ht-distx-p-1625
Quote by diofan88
Quote by beadhangingOne
Quote by mcjosh
Barber dirty bomb is a great distortion pedal, its the only one I actually like lol.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Quote by mmolteratx
I'll take you up on that challenge one of these days. Admittedly it'd be a pretty big pedal.

TS, look at the Wampler Pinnacle and Plextortion and the Catalinbread DLS.

These, and a Blackstar HT pedal set to the British side should get the tones you want too.
Get a boss metal core (not metalzone) and pair it with a tubescreamer
If anything should make for an interesting sound
Quote by alm0st a skat3r
yeah i remember when i had a good conscience. now i dont give a ****

xxx
smoke weed, drink 40's, **** titties
just curious 311, what is your definition of trolling?
Quote by alm0st a skat3r
yeah i remember when i had a good conscience. now i dont give a ****

xxx
smoke weed, drink 40's, **** titties
Quote by handbanana
just curious 311, what is your definition of trolling?

A Boss Metal Core paired with an OD pedal running into a Fender HRD does not sound like a good suggestion in my opinion. Additionally, you said 'if anything it should make for an interesting sound'.

what the hell does that mean? That wreaks of trolling in my book.
Well I found that video: http://s219.photobucket.com/albums/cc6/H4T3BR33D3R/?action=view&current=lol2.flv

Oh to be young again. But yeah, sorry for the overall quality, it was a few years ago and my playing isn't as solid.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.