I've been playing for awhile but I dont know much at all about the technology around guitars, and I just got the two pieces of equipment I mentioned in the title (still learning how to use them), and just wondering if I should get the Line 6 FBV footswitch or if that would be useless since I have the Pod.
It would probably be a good idea to get the footswitch, instead of running a modeller through a modeller. *shudders* The spider 4 is bad enough on its own.
Quote by Ascendant
It would probably be a good idea to get the footswitch, instead of running a modeller through a modeller. *shudders* The spider 4 is bad enough on its own.

+1
maybe I'll sell the spider. I've never had problems with it but I've heard too many mixed things about it. What is a good affordable half stack you would suggest that would work nicely with my Pod? I'll probly get it used, I just blew all my money on school.
yeah sell ur amp. it doesn't take pedals well.
What's ur budget?
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
I run my X3 Live through a Peavey Valveking 100 (about $500 new). It sounds great through the clean channel on a direct input. The VK100 sits on top of a Bugera 4x12, which are pretty inexpensive themselves. I think I paid $299 for it.

I didn't care for the tones when I ran it through the efx loop. Too muddy.
Quote by Rocknawe
I run my X3 Live through a Peavey Valveking 100 (about $500 new). It sounds great through the clean channel on a direct input. The VK100 sits on top of a Bugera 4x12, which are pretty inexpensive themselves. I think I paid $299 for it.

I didn't care for the tones when I ran it through the efx loop. Too muddy.

Try this. Plug your guitar into the X3. Plug the output of the X3 into the return jack of the VK100, in the VK this disconnects the preamp from the power amp sections. Make sure there is nothing plugged into the amp input or the amp send jacks. Set your X3 for direct to power amp. Turn all the amp controls to zero. Crank the output volume of the X3 and enjoy. The preamp of the X3 is quite nice on it's own why color it more with the preamp of the VK.
Last edited by sparkeyjames at Aug 10, 2010,
Quote by sparkeyjames
Try this. Plug your guitar into the X3. Plug the output of the X3 into the return jack of the VK100, in the VK this disconnects the preamp from the power amp sections. Make sure there is nothing plugged into the amp input or the amp send jacks. Set your X3 for direct to power amp. Turn all the amp controls to zero. Crank the output volume of the X3 and enjoy. The preamp of the X3 is quite nice on it's own why color it more with the preamp of the VK.

TS has a line 6 spider IV, not a Peavey VK100...
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
Quote by Campo515
maybe I'll sell the spider. I've never had problems with it but I've heard too many mixed things about it.

If you like it, what's the problem?

Also, a half stack is a stupid idea if you're on a budget.
It's not that the Spiders are particularly bad, it's just that other amps are better. I think selling up and getting something better is a good idea but what are you going for? If you're just a bedroom player a modeller might not be such a bad idea. What bands do you play? Will you be gigging?
Quote by sparkeyjames

Gave it a go, and it's just not as good. The VK100 colors the sound with the bright channel so nicely for metal, which is why the direct input is working so well for me I guess. I'm running an MXR 10-band in the efx loop though, so that also has a bigger effect in this setup.

Plus, having the cheap mods for the VK's like having the loop buffer active while direct input (I was running a patch cable in there prior to the MXR) and running an adapter in the other input channel for more clarity are available to me.

Was worth a shot I guess. I think if I ever wanted to take the bite out of the distortion I would go that route since it's more warm, but for what I'm playing these days, I like the amps tone in the mix.

\m/