Page 1 of 2
For those of you who have a girlfriend, do you generally take the role of the guy who pays for the majority of the stuff, including going on dates and taking her out and picking up the bill? Do you regularly buy her gifts etc? In regards to making an effort with other stuff, eg being early for her and being chivelrous in general do you do this or are you just equal?

For girls, do you expect guys to do this stuff or not?
A lot
Tick tock and waiting for the meteor
This clock is opening another door
Where I come from, thats called the "friend zone"
*Official Deadhead*

The times they are a-changin'
It'd get pretty expensive with shopping and bills and stuff if we didn't split everything pretty much equally. I do buy her things when I can though.
I get her small gifts and whatnot on the occasion, and spend a good deal more on birthday/Christmas presents than she does, but she insists on splitting the costs for dinner/dates more or less equally. I still offer to pay, but if she claims that it's her turn to pay or whatever, I've learned not to bother trying to argue with her.
There will probably be a signature here at some point.
All I expect is respect.

I don't care about regular gifts as they're unnecessary (although if I've bought him a birthday/christmas present then I would like one back) and when it comes to money I'll try and match what he spends on me eg. on a day out to london he might pay for the activity and I'll pay for lunch, both pay own travel fares. I'd rather a guy didn't spend a lot on me as I know that I wouldn't be able to pay it back and that's not fair.

I have male friends who budget £200-£300 a month for their girlfriends and I think if you have to budget your spending then that's too excessive.

Spending large amounts of money does not make you gentlemanly.
Quote by Renka
OddOneOut is an Essex S&M mistress and not a pirate or a computer program.

I buy little things that I think she'll like. But nothing ever big, it just seems needy. I usually pay about 3/4 if we eat out, or go cinema or something, but she insists on paying some. We usually don't buy each other stuff but are more subtle about showing we care, buying stuff is so predictable and unoriginal, try cooking romantic dinners, flirty little things like massages and stuff and don't be afraid to do unorthodox stuff together. A friend of mine has a game night with his girlfriend, because they both love gaming. It seemed rather sweet.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
For a while I paid for everything, did all the driving, and paid for all the gas. This is only because my girl was too young to have her own car and her family has had financial troubles lately, and when she did get a car she can't get a job. No one around here hires at 16. Sometimes I'd get frustrated because I had no money but she couldn't do anything about it. When she had money she contributed what she could.

I enjoy spending money on her but she tells me to spend less. She makes me stuff because she can draw well, sew, write, and all sorts of other stuff. I don't really have any of those skills so I treat her to stuff every now and then. It's usually stuff we can both use though.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
I don't pay for her when we go out. It's just a mutual thing, and it always has been with every girl. I'm usually there when I say I will. Equal pretty much.
There's danger on the edge of town,
Ride the king's highway baby

I let her hang out with me.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Quote by Ichikurosaki
Isn't that like.. essentially prostitution?

...Whut?
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Quote by Ichikurosaki
Isn't that like.. essentially prostitution?

Yes, because all relationships=the guy paying for everything and the girl having sex with him.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
When I have a girlfriend I do all that stuff listed
I let you get away so cleanly.
i act like myself, why should i change and be someone im not, maybe that why all of you are single
We live together, and I earn more than her, so I pay more.
Need fashion advice?

Quote by PaperStSoapCo
I wish I had a dick like a black guy instead of my little white dick.

Quote by JoelTheShredder
i love you more than words can express jean.

I saw Rick Astley in Quebec City, on April 10th 2009. Best day of my life!
I find that the nicer I am and the more respectful I think I'm being, the less girls are actually attracted to me. So I'd maybe pay for shit if I had a gf, but thats it.
This is why I don't like arguing on the internet.
Quote by damian_91
If only you could back that statement up.
Quote by Zombee
Wolfgang's Philadelphia Study. Look it up yourself.
Quote by damian_91
No need to, absurd generalizations aren't my thing.
Quote by -tempest-
i act like myself, why should i change and be someone im not, maybe that why all of you are single
wut. I think you're missing the whole point of this thread.

Quote by Deadlock Riff
Bladeslinger, i envy you. So much.

Why?
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by BladeSlinger

Why?

Cause thats sort of what i imagine in a relationship, and you have it.

the hardtimes kind of thing. Struggling along with your love. So awesomely *i don have a word to describe *!
People in the pit take my post way too seriously.

MyAnimeList
7-String Legion

If you have a question PM me and I will always get back to you.
Last edited by Deadlock Riff at Aug 10, 2010,
I've usually paid for dinners or other things like that. I never really bought gifts or anything unless it was for a birthday or some holiday. I would buy small things like some flowers or a CD, things like that, from time to time though.

I never asked any of my girlfriends to pay for things, but sometimes they'd offer and of course I'd allow them to.
Quote by Deadlock Riff
Cause thats sort of what i imagine in a relationship, and you have it.

the hardtimes kind of thing. Struggling along with your love. So awesomely *i don have a word to describe *!

Ah. It has it's moments I guess. It isn't fun when the best thing that's happened to them financially is her step dad's mother dying because of the inheritance. That's one reason she doesn't like me to spend a lot. Whatever floats your boat though.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
strange how most people here seem to think that 'doing something for a girl' equals 'buying her stuff'. Showing how much you care about someone is much more important than the amount of money you spend on it.
You who build these altars now

To sacrifice these children
You must not do it anymore
When in a relationship I paid more than she did. Mainly on the assumption that if this was "the one", I can recall all that back after the wedding day, with interest, and use it to pay the bills.

"Hey honey, remember that time when we went to that really nice restaurant by the beach?"

"Oh yeah, how could I forget? That was the night you propo-"

*shoves electricity bill into her face*
Quote by the bartender
strange how most people here seem to think that 'doing something for a girl' equals 'buying her stuff'. Showing how much you care about someone is much more important than the amount of money you spend on it.

Because women are blood (money) sucking banshees.

I don't know of a lot of stuff I can do without buying something. It's not like I shower her with expensive gifts constantly though. I'm nice to her in many other ways we usually use money to do things that involve both of us. She's the artist of the relationship so she makes me dorky stuff. I supply her with music a lot. We balance in the end.

EDIT: You have no mercy, Ben.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Last edited by BladeSlinger at Aug 10, 2010,
I buy all of the rohypnol if that counts... Unless she happens to have her purse or house keys on her, in which case I generally steal money and goods to compensate myself for said rohypnol, a £150 charge for the sperm donation and the cost of any legal shenanigans that may follow, including limo fare to and from court.

I think you will agree that I'm incredibly generous.
I've Made You A Drawing of a Giraffe Fucking an Elephant. Notice How His Moustache Looks Just Like Mine.

Your Mother's Got a Penis
Quote by faultyy
I buy all of the rohypnol if that counts... Unless she happens to have her purse or house keys on her, in which case I generally steal money and goods to compensate myself for said rohypnol, a £150 charge for the sperm donation and the cost of any legal shenanigans that may follow, including limo fare to and from court.

I think you will agree that I'm incredibly generous.

A ****ing shitton. Which is why I won't bother with a relationship till I find a girl that appreciates it. Casual sex is more interesting anyway.
A girl is like a manager at work. If you do more, then you will be expected to do more, and you will never, ever get more.

The times to increase what you do for a girl are:

Knocking her up
Giving her a venereal disease, especially one that can't be cured by penicillin

Otherwise you're just asking for trouble. Seriously.
"Virtually no one who is taught Relativity continues to read the Bible."

I do quite a bit as long as they appreciate it. Then I stop, until they realise how good I am
Quote by Bubonic Chronic
A girl is like a manager at work. If you do more, then you will be expected to do more, and you will never, ever get more.

The times to increase what you do for a girl are:

Knocking her up
Giving her a venereal disease, especially one that can't be cured by penicillin

Otherwise you're just asking for trouble. Seriously.

They are human beings too, if you hadn't noticed.
Usually when I'm out with a girl, I'll pick up the bill for most things. But I find girls like it when they get stuff from you to know that you actually care about them. But in my honest opinion, all it takes is being a good guy. Just humble and honest.
I called myself Joe Strummer 'cos I could either play all six strings at once, or none of them at all.

-Joe Strummer

She had to go 'cos she didn't know who Joe Strummer was.
Quote by Ziggy of Mars
Usually when I'm out with a girl, I'll pick up the bill for most things. But I find girls like it when they get stuff from you to know that you actually care about them. But in my honest opinion, all it takes is being a good guy. Just humble and honest.

You have much to learn.

Man possesses the most highly advanced intelligence ever evolved in the history of the Universe. He is capable of creating cities as large as mountains, and moving oceans worth of water. He can contemplate the secrets of matter, energy and space-time.

And women are the most God-damned confuzzling, frustrating, irrational, unreasonable, but FUCK did they have to get all the vaginas!!!, mean-spirited and downright dumbfounding creations ever.

Cats are a close 2nd.

Quote by zaidsharifi
Well recently I bought a takamine guitar as a birthday present for a girl I was planning to be with and a few weeks later she decided she doesnt want to be with me

It's this simple, my friend. Get it back!

Sure, people are going to say, "oh, that was a douchey move!" and so on, but one day they will all be useless, balding rejects for who High School was the best time of their lives.

And you will still have a guitar.

Quote by Bubonic Chronic

You have much to learn.

Man possesses the most highly advanced intelligence ever evolved in the history of the Universe. He is capable of creating cities as large as mountains, and moving oceans worth of water. He can contemplate the secrets of matter, energy and space-time.

And women are the most God-damned confuzzling, frustrating, irrational, unreasonable, but FUCK did they have to get all the vaginas!!!, mean-spirited and downright dumbfounding creations ever.

Cats are a close 2nd.

Yeah.

Fuck cats.
Page 1 of 2