So I'm heading off to University (hopefully) soon and I'm going to need a laptop for doing student stuff with. I've got a £500 budget and I'm looking for a bargain! Any ideas on what to get? So far I've looked at Mesh's range and been pretty impressed.

Important things to me are battery life and possibly ability to game on it.
Take a lesser loan...

Get a MacBook Pro

It's gonna last better in the long run...
Incarnation of awesomeness on earth.
if you want a good computerbox get a macbook pro. If you want a gaming computer that will eventually piss you off to no end get a PC
My advice to you is... Start drinking heavily
-Bluto Blutarsky
If you want something with a complete lack of power, can only use .02% of software on the market, 2% of the games, and you are a complete retard that needs the oversimplicity of a Macbook, then get one. PCs = versatility, power, and in Windows 7, compatibility is really, really good, and it's quite user-friendly, without losing functionality.

EDIT: But if you do end up getting a PC, make sure it's got Win7. It's so much better than any Windows before it. Sure you'll still have to tweak things to get them to work (not as much but still), but the programs that don't need tweaking aren't available for Mac anyways.

Oh, and MUCH better bang-for-your-buck.
Quote by Tone Deaf
Someone has had too much jager in their slushy. :/
Quote by CL/\SH
First person on UG to be a grammar nazi and use the correct form of "your" in the correct context.

+ 70 virgins to you, my good sir.

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Girls DO fap...I don't though.
Last edited by JagerSlushy at Aug 10, 2010,
sony vaio, got it for college two years ago, no problems and rock solid, loads PS3 just as fast as any mac, with 3GB ram and 250GB hard dive. of course now its like standard to come with double the ram and disk space...
♣▲♣
▲ ▲
Quote by JagerSlushy
If you want something with a complete lack of power, can only use .02% of software on the market, 2% of the games, and you are a complete retard that needs the oversimplicity of a Macbook, then get one. PCs = versatility, power, and in Windows 7, compatibility is really, really good, and it's quite user-friendly, without losing functionality.

EDIT: But if you do end up getting a PC, make sure it's got Win7. It's so much better than any Windows before it. Sure you'll still have to tweak things to get them to work (not as much but still), but the programs that don't need tweaking aren't available for Mac anyways.

i agree with this dude. im a windows fan

Check out HP, but if you want to game on a laptop you should be willing to dish out a bit more. I just bought the M11x made by alienware(dell) and it performs nicely in games.
Gibson RawPower SG 2009 (Zales)
Gibson Hummingbird 70's? (Amy)
Jet City JCA 20 Watt Combo
Dunlop Crybaby wah
MXR 10 Band EQ
Ibanez TS-9
Quote by smb
Fake a disability and get a free one.

This. My history teachers daughter got one 'cause she's dyslexic. I reckon I could pull that off.
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
//////////////////////////////////////HEALTH
Quote by sg255
This. My history teachers daughter got one 'cause she's dyslexic. I reckon I could pull that off.
I got one for being bipolar
Quote by JagerSlushy

Oh, and MUCH better bang-for-your-buck.

You can duelboot a copy of W7 on the mac and have the best of both worlds.
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
The grandmother is having a baby with her grandson, so the grandson will be his own fathers father, the baby will be his own grandfather, and grandson, and the grandmother will be the mother, and great grandmother?

Quote by TheBurningFish
ಠ_ಠ
Does anyone know anything about the new HP dv3 4000 series, cos it looks really good apart from I don't know what the battery life is like.
Quote by Martinman300
Does anyone know anything about the new HP dv3 4000 series, cos it looks really good apart from I don't know what the battery life is like.

I think that that was my last laptop (it was some sort of dv3). Basically, it died. The motherboard got totally fried, and I couldn't get it to do anything other than get to the F8 screen. Im on a macbook pro now (haters gonna hate) that I plan on duelbooting a copy of W7 onto, so that I can use games and some other windows-only programs. So for me, W7-games and maybe FL studios, and OSX-everything else.
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
The grandmother is having a baby with her grandson, so the grandson will be his own fathers father, the baby will be his own grandfather, and grandson, and the grandmother will be the mother, and great grandmother?

Quote by TheBurningFish
ಠ_ಠ
Quote by smartalec007
You can duelboot a copy of W7 on the mac and have the best of both worlds.

this man speaks truth... but depends what you're studying... personally i swear by my mac for uni work... i'm a music student, and uni runs logic... makes sense for me to use the same DAW, and its only availiable on mac so was a pretty simple step.
i'm Ginger its fun
Quote by JagerSlushy
If you want something with a complete lack of powerlong battery life, can only use .02% of software on the market won't overheat, 2% of the gameswith friendly and helpful customer support in a store location close to you, and you are a complete retard that needs the oversimplicity of a Macbookdon't want to be like me, then get one. PCs = versatility, power, and in Windows 7, compatibility is really, really good, and it's quite user-friendly, without losing functionality.

Also, if you really want you can run Windows 7 on it, which Copernicus over here seems to have forgotten.
This is why I don't like arguing on the internet.
Quote by damian_91
If only you could back that statement up.
Quote by Zombee
Wolfgang's Philadelphia Study. Look it up yourself.
Quote by damian_91
No need to, absurd generalizations aren't my thing.
Quote by Zombee
Also, if you really want you can run Windows 7 on it, which Copernicus over here seems to have forgotten.

It won't run as fast as a platform that was built specifically for a Windows OS. Why not spend half the money and get the same power? And YOU, sir, seem to have forgotten that Win7 costs even more money, and TS would end up paying for it, seeing as he would definitely be going for a PC if he was a pirate. iBuyPower can give a pretty insane deal for what you get, with a better processor, larger HDD and screen, more RAM, and better GPU than a MacBook and still cost less. And running Windows on a Mac would defeat the purpose of having one, wouldn't it?? Dualbooting with Linux is much better IMO.

That said, TS, your priorities should determine what you get. PC's and Macs are worlds apart, and it all comes down to preference and what you're going to be doing with it. Before you make your decision, if there's any programs that you know you'll be getting, make sure they're available for Mac. And if you prefer ease of use, a Mac would be much better. Macs are also almost completely immune to viruses. And although I am biased against Macs, whenever you download a program of some sort for a PC, chances are there's a ton of setup to do to make it run better (due to the program having to be written for versatility, because all PC's have different parts), and the occasional bugfixes, patches, and such. But if you are a gamer or use a lot of hardware-intensive programs, then a PC would better suit you. Or if you're a pirate
Quote by Tone Deaf
Someone has had too much jager in their slushy. :/
Quote by CL/\SH
First person on UG to be a grammar nazi and use the correct form of "your" in the correct context.

+ 70 virgins to you, my good sir.

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Girls DO fap...I don't though.
dell studio, they're sick
Quote by babakkatt
Whats wrong with asking a girl what kind of cheese she likes?

LOUD NOISES
Quote by JagerSlushy
It won't run as fast as a platform that was built specifically for a Windows OS. Why not spend half the money and get the same power? And YOU, sir, seem to have forgotten that Win7 costs even more money, and TS would end up paying for it, seeing as he would definitely be going for a PC if he was a pirate. iBuyPower can give a pretty insane deal for what you get, with a better processor, larger HDD and screen, more RAM, and better GPU than a MacBook and still cost less. And running Windows on a Mac would defeat the purpose of having one, wouldn't it?? Dualbooting with Linux is much better IMO.

That said, TS, your priorities should determine what you get. PC's and Macs are worlds apart, and it all comes down to preference and what you're going to be doing with it. Before you make your decision, if there's any programs that you know you'll be getting, make sure they're available for Mac. And if you prefer ease of use, a Mac would be much better. Macs are also almost completely immune to viruses. And although I am biased against Macs, whenever you download a program of some sort for a PC, chances are there's a ton of setup to do to make it run better (due to the program having to be written for versatility, because all PC's have different parts), and the occasional bugfixes, patches, and such. But if you are a gamer or use a lot of hardware-intensive programs, then a PC would better suit you. Or if you're a pirate

But what if he needs something that's OSX-only, like Logic? IIRC, you can only run OSX on intel macs. You can run W7 on a mac, but not the other way around.
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13

Quote by TheBurningFish
ಠ_ಠ