Does any one have good excercises for the following aspects of guitar playing:

Finger Strength (for legato)
Stretches (for bigger chords)
Speed

(even dvd instructional videos are welcome recommendations as i wil buy them if they are good)

Thanks
Try the pentatonic scale across all six strings while hitting 3notes per string. As soon as you hit one octave, go for the next, and so on. It helped me build dexterity. Make sure to use all fingers, even the pinky!!!
Well i do that on all my modes (been playing for 4 years now) just was hopeing for more complex excercise i should of mentioned my playing experience in my first post.

My bad Thanks for the reply though.
Quote by thefollower
Well i do that on all my modes (been playing for 4 years now) just was hopeing for more complex excercise i should of mentioned my playing experience in my first post.

My bad Thanks for the reply though.

I think you should actually try fingering pentatonics as 3 notes per string before you discount it as being too simple; it's much harder than a standard scale.

Either way, for stretching try looking into some Alan Holdsworth stuff, the man's chord work is mind-blowing.

Understand one thing though: you can't control or practice speed, you can only practice the things that add up to being able to play fast so you'll need to work on relaxation, synchronisation and economy of motion.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Thanks for the tips so far guys... is there any recommended videos made by artists worth getting for these styles to improve with ?
The most bitchin' stretching excercises I have ever seen where from Rusty Cooley's "Shred Guitar Manifesto." I'm not kidding, even the first one kinda hurt! It's around 40 excercises using 2, 3 and 4 finger-per-string combinations across up to 9 frets. These will also improve your accuracy tenfold, which of course leads to greatly increased speed!
the following lick is something like dimebag would have done using the harmonic minor scale (plus other notes) in e minor.

it uses legato, finger stretching, AND speed!!

here is another one:

in that last one, you only ever pick the FIRST note (or don't pick at all). the sound is created by pressing the notes left hand only.
stretch and warm up sufficiently before you practice anything strenuous please. Seriously.
Quote by thefollower
Finger Strength (for legato)
Trill exercises - 16th notes to steady tempo for one minute each finger combo. (use a timer) Then increase tempo 50% and repeat for 20 seconds each finger combo.

It's gonna suck but you will gain finger strength. Not every day... 3-4 times a week tops. Also vary the neck positions and strings each session.

Know what you can or cannot handle, don't injure yourself. If your fingers become too fatigued then STOP. It's OK to rest. Just do what you can for that session. It will get easier. When it's no longer challenging, raise the base tempo.
Quote by thefollower
Stretches (for bigger chords)
spend some time mastering those bigger chords. Then you won't need to practice stretches in order to play them.
Quote by thefollower
Speed

what Zaphod_Beeblebr said