here it is, i finally started pouring money into my pedal board (dont start on the amp... I ALREADY KNOW!!!)

i have been looking around for pedals for a while and drew up a list of what i needed:

• Reverb
  • Chorus
  • EQ
  • Delay

and then i added the Slow gear clone as abit of fun and since the chorus/Delay Pedal is going to be a few more weeks i thought i would make a start on the thread =)

right then here they are

(left to right) an Electro Harmonix Cathedral Reverb, a Behringer Slow Motion SM200 and an MXR 10 Band EQ

ok so here goes the first review...

The Behringer Slow Motion SM200

i slotted it in my board and... well... its completely rubbish, i brought this pedal with an open mind remembering that even though it is based on the Boss Slow Gear SG1 it is by Behringer and only cost £30 so i wasnt expecting miracles and i didnt get any.

basicly its an automated volume pedal that should adjust the attack of each note you pick but it doesnt . what it actually does is adjusts the attack of the first note you pick and then does nothing until you stop all the strings from vibrating and pick a new note.

now looking at the picture it looks as if it is made of plastic and is really flimsy... well thats because it is. the last time i felt plastic like that it contained tick-tacs and it feels like if you actually gigged with it it might fall apart under your feet.

my conclusion is:

AVOID AT ALL COSTS!!!!

right onto the next one

The Electro Harmonix Cathedral Reverb

put it in the board the same place as the SM200 and this is an amazing pedal. its incredibly versatile, and is very well built.

it has 8 pre set modes that make it sound like you are actually playing in a cathedral to playing in a small concert hall. it also has 3 very nice settings at the bottom of the selection:
  • Reverse - gives a reverse reverb effect
  • Grail Flerb - reverb but with a slight Flanger effect
  • Echo - simple delay with slight reverb in the background

and then there is the option to create your own sound with the 5 knobs at the top.
it also has a tap switch that lets you adjust the amount of delay without having to touch the "pre-delay" switch which looks very useful for adjusting your sound while you are gigging.

my conclusion is:

GET ONE!!!

the last one

MXR 10 Band EQ

i think you can see from the other pictures that it has defiantly got a place in my board, i got the EQ setting from the "Rock" setting in Itunes and believe it or not it has definatly improved the sound of my amp + Barber Dirty Bomb.

since it is a 10 Band EQ it is incredibly vercatile and also has a volume and gain slider so you could use it as a boost pedal aswell. personally i wont be using it for that, im suing it to give abit more depth to my amp which it is doing brilliantly.

my conclusion is:

GET ONE!!!

so here is a picture of my final set up, you can see that the SM200 didnt last long and is now in the pile of discarded pedals to the right of my amp.

so there is my first ever "new anything" thread and my first reviews... let me know what you think =)

any more questions i will be happy to answer
Quote by Metalmarathon
The concept of self-fulfilling prophecies never seem to occur to the ones that always create them.

Attic Green
My Band
Last edited by Dave Frenzy at Aug 10, 2010,
What's that power supply you've got there?

Btw happy NPD!
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

not sure tbh, i got it for £30...

it says "qtc 173.080 power bank" and that is all i know lol
Quote by Metalmarathon
The concept of self-fulfilling prophecies never seem to occur to the ones that always create them.

Attic Green
My Band
They look nice minus that one!

HNPDx2!
2012 Gibson Les Paul Custom Classic
2001 Schecter C-1 Classic
2007 Yamaha APX500
Vox AC15CC1 w/ Eminence Tonkerlite
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
Quote by slingshotjr
y the hell do you have a Boss metal zone in the discarded pedal pile?!?!?!?!?!?!

....where else would you put one?
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

^Cause he has a barber dirty bomb which is about 4.5 billion times better for metal.

Lovely shame about the behringer though, you can get kits for building a slow gear clone from GGG i think. Personally id just get a dunlop volume pedal off ebay. Same principle, more control.

Really hope to pick up a cathedrale myself within the year.
hnpd,

have you tried moving the sm200 to a different position in the chain.....beheringer pedals are cheap for a reason but experiment with it before you totally discard it.
congrats on the new gear.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by greeny23
i bought one the other day as a backup, its a DC-9X Power Bank.

http://www.andertons.co.uk/power-supplies/pid9393/cid591/powerbank-dc9x-10-way-fx-pedal-power-supply.asp

its not half bad.

lol you are right! i didnt really read the packet i just ripped it open
Quote by Metalmarathon

Attic Green
My Band
look at BYOC's slow gear clone if you want a good volume envelopper.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
I love the packaging of the Behringer. It looks like those that action figures come in. Action Figure Party FTW.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by mmolteratx
I love the packaging of the Behringer. It looks like those that action figures come in. Action Figure Party FTW.

but they are easier to get out lol, it was held in by 2 staples instead of 50+cable ties lol
Quote by Metalmarathon

Attic Green
My Band
Quote by Dave Frenzy

i slotted it in my board and... well... its completely rubbish, i brought this pedal with an open mind remembering that even though it is based on the Boss Slow Gear SG1 it is by Behringer and only cost £30 so i wasnt expecting miracles and i didnt get any.

basicly its an automated volume pedal that should adjust the attack of each note you pick but it doesnt . what it actually does is adjusts the attack of the first note you pick and then does nothing until you stop all the strings from vibrating and pick a new note.

now looking at the picture it looks as if it is made of plastic and is really flimsy... well thats because it is. the last time i felt plastic like that it contained tick-tacs and it feels like if you actually gigged with it it might fall apart under your feet.

my conclusion is:

AVOID AT ALL COSTS!!!!

OK, I understand it's considered cool to bash Behringer pedals. Yes, the housing is not metal but made of plastic, actually ABS plastic which is also found in aerospace technology but that's not the point, and they do cost way cheaper than their "homage" originals (I just think "clone" is not a very chic word, don't you?) but I don't see why this is a bad thing. The ultimate point is how a Behringer pedal sounds to you but also to the audience that listens to your music. This is the ultimate test: Does it sound good, is it useful in your tone arsenal, is it worth the fraction of the money it costs compared to the real thing.

Having said that, some comments specifically to your points from above:

1. Without being the marvel of FX pedal engineering, this pedal is definitely NOT "completely rubbish", you just have to spend a little more time with it and learn what it does and how to make it do what it's supposed to do, not what you think or you want it to do.

2. The fact that it is based on the BOSS SG-1 should not be the only measure it is judged against, because, really, it is not exactly the same pedal. Besides, the fact that it costs £30 (well currently it costs $24.99 in the US) certainly has nothing to do with miracles, as a matter of fact many products cost an arm and a leg but they are next to useless, there's a lot of hype in this world, especially in music industry.

3. The pedal does not "adjust the attack of each note you pick", rather, according to your picking style, hard, soft, etc, and with the attack knob properly set, it will adjust the output creating from volume swells to noise gate resembling effects. Again, what this pedal is supposed to do has nothing at all with what you think it 'll do or want it to do. Plus this kind of pedals depend on the dynamics of your picking, so they should be placed "first in line" e.g. immediately at the end of your cable coming from your guitar. That's not the case with you. Also, if, essentially this is a (ok taken with a grain of salt) "auto-volume", why are you trying to use it with a ...real volume pedal?

4. Wait a minute, you said "looking at the picture it looks as if it is made of plastic and is really flimsy... well thats because it is". Well, no need to look at any picture 'cause you can't tell from a picture, but have you tried to abuse it a little. I mean, drop it, stomp it, pour a drink over it, use it as an ash tray, use it a projectile against that drunk in your last gig, who's about to barf over your amp, unless you do something fast? What exactly did you do to assess the "flimsiness" of it. Actually, there is a video on YouTube with a guy doing almost exactly all that, and surprise-surprise the pedal still worked, remember it's just ABS plastic and somehow despite being flimsy it found it's way in aerospace technology. Aeroplanes are full of it, so I suggest from now on, you stop flying those death machines.

5. You need to brush-up on your chemistry: ABS is Acrylonitrile butadiene styrene and is a common thermoplastic. It will maintain its consistency up to a temperature approximately 105 °C (221 °F). ABS is amorphous and therefore has no true melting point. This means that you can put boiling hot water in a cup made of ABS and it will not melt in your hands. Now if your gigs get "hotter" than that, then you are right, this is not the right product for you! And by the way, tic-tacs come in a container made of a different material, e.g. Polystyrene (PS) which is a synthetic aromatic polymer made from the monomer styrene, a liquid petrochemical. General purpose polystyrene is clear, hard and brittle. It is a very inexpensive resin per unit weight but it is a rather poor barrier to oxygen and water vapor and has a relatively low melting point. By contrast the tic-tac container lid is made from a different material but of superior quality, Polypropylene (PP).

--

Sorry for the long ...necrobump, it's always irresistible to me, thus, such a great pleasure, telling off the average internet idiot for talking through his arse!

Best regards to all,

--
XwpisONOMA
Why are you necro'ing several year old threads across forums about Behringer.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by XwpisONOMA
wow that's long

sorry about necro bump? why not just send him a pm? he hasn't posted in almost a year anyway so you aren't really telling anyone off.

behringer still makes cheap knockoffs of other pedals it's what they do.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
We need to make an avatar of shame for the noob and if the user removes it banhammer them.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
Behringer pls
RG351DX - Bridge Dragonfire Screamer, Mid+Neck Fender Hot Noiseless
Peavey Valveking 112 - Eminence GB128
AMT E1 > Joyo AC Tone > Dan'o EQ > Shimverb > Digidelay
Thats actually useful. I was looking at one of those Behringer thingies but was worried it might be crap. Turns out it really is (no surprises there)

Would probably be better with the Mooer Slow Engine
Nice pedals, HNPD!
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon