Poll: Which multi-tool should I get?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which multi-tool should I get?
Leatherman Blast
52 74%
Leatherman Fuse
3 4%
Leatherman Squirt
9 13%
Leatherman Kick
2 3%
Other (post suggestion)
4 6%
Voters: 70.
Page 1 of 2
And since I'm going to do it properly I'm going to get a Leatherman. I just can't decide which one, so I need your help pit. It will be for military and general purpose use.
My current options are, the Fuse, Blast and Squirt.

Fuse: http://www.leatherman-tools.co.uk/leatherman-classics/leatherman-fuse-in-gift-tin-free-monarch-300.htm

Blast: http://www.leatherman-tools.co.uk/leatherman-classics/leatherman-blast-black-.htm

Yes I'm going for the black oxide one, far more tactical.

Squirt: http://www.leatherman-tools.co.uk/leatherman-squirt/leatherman-squirt-p4-red.htm

and maybe the the Kick: http://www.leatherman-tools.co.uk/leatherman-classics/leatherman-kick-black-.htm

Most expensive first: Blast, Kick, Fuse, Squirt.
edit: http://www.leatherman.co.uk/product/Juice_Xe6 Juice, new option.

edit: New contender, Gerber Blast

http://www.gerberuk.com/index.php/product/id/92
Cheaper than the Blast.

I can afford all of these (otherwise I wouldn't be seriously considering them) but I just can't choose between them tbh. The Squirt is a lot smaller (but also cheaper) so it'll fit into my pocket instead of having to be clipped onto my webbing belt.
Also, does anyone know the size of the blade you can carry legally in the UK?
If the Squirt is the right size it could mean I could keep it safely in my handbag when I'm not doing anything miltary related.

Help me choose, Pit! I may well put up a poll, but feel free to suggest me things.
No, I do not need a machete. Nor am I allowed to carry one.
Quote by Renka
OddOneOut is an Essex S&M mistress and not a pirate or a computer program.

Last edited by OddOneOut at Aug 12, 2010,
Blast is the way to go. The "Kick" seems kind of overpriced as it doesn't have that many features. I think if you're going to get a full-sized one, then it's worth getting one with more tools.
I have the Blast (right next to me, actually) and its super reliable. My dad actually tried to machine my name onto it, once, and it broke the drill bit, thats how sturdy it is.
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
The grandmother is having a baby with her grandson, so the grandson will be his own fathers father, the baby will be his own grandfather, and grandson, and the grandmother will be the mother, and great grandmother?

Quote by TheBurningFish
ಠ_ಠ
The Blast. The Squirt. When did Leatherman get so dirty-minded?

OT: The black one.

Not sure about this, but if you have the qualifications for using it for military purposes, dont you have the ability to carry it anywhere you need to, regardless of the blade size? (as long as its not a sword or machete some shit)
Quote by Butt Rayge
Pretty sure Jesus was decaffeinated.

I'm just a hedonist without happiness
Blast, it's too badass, you must possess it TS.
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
Quote by doomded
The Blast. The Squirt. When did Leatherman get so dirty-minded?

OT: The black one.

Not sure about this, but if you have the qualifications for using it for military purposes, dont you have the ability to carry it anywhere you need to, regardless of the blade size? (as long as its not a sword or machete some shit)

I'm not sure tbh. But I don't have a MOD 90 so I wouldn't be able to prove on the spot it's for military use. And at up to £56 I'd really rather not have it confiscated.
Quote by Renka

Gerber make some really good multi tools have you looked at theirs?

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Tom 1.0
Gerber make some really good multi tools have you looked at theirs?

I'll have a look.
I just know that Leathermans are tried and tested to be reliable, but multitools in general have come quite in handy over the past year. I don't know anyone with anything made by Gerber.

edit: Looking at one Gerber multitool, http://www.gerberuk.com/index.php/product/id/29 it's heavier than the Blast and has less tools. ANd whilst ballistic nylon sounds sexy, it won't be necessary.
Quote by Renka

Last edited by OddOneOut at Aug 10, 2010,
chalk one up for blast
my dad has one and lets me use it actually he doesnt even use it anymore
and its really relible and sturdy a fine multitool
Leathermans or shite. Seriously, don't get one. You'd be far better off with a Swiss army knife.
Quote by OddOneOut
I'll have a look.
I just know that Leathermans are tried and tested to be reliable, but multitools in general have come quite in handy over the past year. I don't know anyone with anything made by Gerber.

My dad and his mates all swear by them they use them alot at work ( police / army )

I have one too and used it all the time when i went camping, great tools and well made, i never had any trouble with mine, only trouble was that the locking blade makes it sort of risky to have it on you when you dont need it if you get what i mean

good to see another Essex'er on the site

you aint too far from me either

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
I think the law in the UK is that you can carry it if the blade is under 3 inches long and is folding - more than that and you have to have good reason. But don't quote me on that.

Also, blast.

EDIT: Damn typos.
Tell me, who is this?
It's Mr. Lemon...
What are you doing here?
I'm off to the cupboard, where I keep the bodies...
Bad Mr. Lemon, bad lemon.
Last edited by TheBobMan at Aug 10, 2010,
This suits a girl like you more

Without music, life would be a mistake.
Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote by noob888
I love you for that thread...

Quote by MightyAl
I am now mentally scarred by the image of Peter Crouch getting penalised.
Quote by robhc
Leathermans or shite. Seriously, don't get one. You'd be far better off with a Swiss army knife.

And they're shite because? I think a 25 year guarantee and countless recommendations sound pretty non-shite to me.
Swiss army knives don't even have pliers, everyone needs pliers.

Quote by Tom 1.0

My dad and his mates all swear by them they use them alot at work ( police / army )

I have one too and used it all the time when i went camping, great tools and well made, i never had any trouble with mine, only trouble was that the locking blade makes it sort of risky to have it on you when you dont need it if you get what i mean

good to see another Essex'er on the site

you aint too far from me either

Hmm do you know what the rules are regarding blades and such?
Sweety pie, you know I'm from Essex. I started the Essex UGer group
Quote by Renka

Quote by OddOneOut
And they're shite because? I think a 25 year guarantee and countless recommendations sound pretty non-shite to me.

I've had several break on me. Several people I know all say theirs have broken. I find they lock up too easily (not the good way when you have a tool out and want it to lock, but when you're putting one away and it locks up half out/in).
If you really need the pliers, you would probably be better off just buying a pair or two or pliers. Really, when are you going to need the pliers where you won't have the pliers already nearby.

I'm not sure about over there, but over here you're not allowed to carry a knife at all with out a good reason (ie. in a toolbox, in a tackle box, you're going camping etc.).
Quote by OddOneOut

I can find out, but the guy above hit the naol on the head anyway,

3 inches folding blade with reason for use.

I think the law in the UK is that you can carry it if the blade is under 3 inches long and is folding - more than and you have to have good reason. But don't quote me on that.

but if you only take it camping or something you will be fine, just not if your in lakeside and its in your bag,

as for the group thing...

it was worth a try

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
What is it for? If you plan to go on survival trips/wild camping, I'd get the Blast, concerning the usefullness of the tools (the little saw there, very useful to skin squirrels)
Need fashion advice?

Quote by PaperStSoapCo
I wish I had a dick like a black guy instead of my little white dick.

Quote by JoelTheShredder
i love you more than words can express jean.

I saw Rick Astley in Quebec City, on April 10th 2009. Best day of my life!
Be careful. I remember checking out UK carry laws a while back and on a police forum (can't remember its name) there were a few officers saying that as you have to do an extra action to fold the blade in, the knives on multi-tools may count as lock knives. Meaning you'd have to have a reason for carrying one (not just because it's useful).

It's a stupid decision and quite a few of them were saying they'd personally just let it go, but if what they say is true, there's bound to be one or two knobheads who'll pursue it.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by JeanMi36
What is it for? If you plan to go on survival trips/wild camping, I'd get the Blast, concerning the usefullness of the tools (the little saw there, very useful to skin squirrels)

As said in OP, primarily military use. So anything from cutting to wire stripping or fixing somebody's broken glasses. Whilst there is a multitool with bits such as a carbon scraper, I think i'll svae my self the money and tough it out with some rag and oil.

I will always have a "good reason" to be carrying one. I was just thinking if I got the Squirt whether I'd be able to keep it on me at all times.

robhc: Fair enough. I can say I've only heard good things about Leatherman from the army folks I've met. And tbh, often the time a pair of pliers are most needed they're not around.

edit: Checked up on laws. Has to be under 3" and non locking. http://www.leatherman.co.uk/product/Juice_Xe6 This would be safe to carry and actually has more tools than the Blast. Does not come in black though
Quote by Renka

Last edited by OddOneOut at Aug 10, 2010,
Quote by OddOneOut

i've got a swiss army knife and it's got pliers, although it's not essentail as well designed as the leather man it still gets the job done
The blast.

Seen it before, damn sexy tool.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Quote by britishsligean
i've got a swiss army knife and it's got pliers, although it's not essentail as well designed as the leather man it still gets the job done

Link to which one you have?
If I get a swiss army knife, I want it to be genuine :p

It's a shame the Juice xe6 is way too expensive it'd be perfect.
I found out the law, no blades over 3" and no locking blades.
Quote by Renka

Quote by OddOneOut
Link to which one you have?
If I get a swiss army knife, I want it to be genuine :p

It's a shame the Juice xe6 is way too expensive it'd be perfect.
I found out the law, no blades over 3" and no locking blades.

This is it! it was about £50 back in 2002/3 when i got it, it was top of the line back then, for the number of tools you get it's worth the money
I didnt think that the knives on leatherman locked? So it wouldnt be illegal? The knife on mine (Leatherman Core, retired) certainly doesnt.

Or you could just say you need it for work if the cops say something.
Quote by OddOneOut
And since I'm going to do it properly I'm going to get a Leatherman. I just can't decide which one, so I need your help pit. It will be for military and general purpose use.
My current options are, the Fuse, Blast and Squirt.

Fuse: http://www.leatherman-tools.co.uk/leatherman-classics/leatherman-fuse-in-gift-tin-free-monarch-300.htm

Blast: http://www.leatherman-tools.co.uk/leatherman-classics/leatherman-blast-black-.htm

Yes I'm going for the black oxide one, far more tactical.

Squirt: http://www.leatherman-tools.co.uk/leatherman-squirt/leatherman-squirt-p4-red.htm

and maybe the the Kick: http://www.leatherman-tools.co.uk/leatherman-classics/leatherman-kick-black-.htm

Most expensive first: Blast, Kick, Fuse, Squirt.
edit: http://www.leatherman.co.uk/product/Juice_Xe6 Juice, new option.

I can afford all of these (otherwise I wouldn't be seriously considering them) but I just can't choose between them tbh. The Squirt is a lot smaller (but also cheaper) so it'll fit into my pocket instead of having to be clipped onto my webbing belt.
Also, does anyone know the size of the blade you can carry legally in the UK?
If the Squirt is the right size it could mean I could keep it safely in my handbag when I'm not doing anything miltary related.

Help me choose, Pit! I may well put up a poll, but feel free to suggest me things.
No, I do not need a machete. Nor am I allowed to carry one.

Thats not a knife!

(Invalid img)

Thats a knife!
"Swords, nature's hell sticks."- Trip Fisk
Quote by Icehawk217
I didnt think that the knives on leatherman locked? So it wouldnt be illegal? The knife on mine (Leatherman Core, retired) certainly doesnt.

Or you could just say you need it for work if the cops say something.

Yeah they lock for ease of use and safety whilst using them. The blade on the Squirt isn't locking, same for the Juice. But the Juice too expensive. All the full sized multitools have locking blades now.

Quote by britishsligean
This is it! it was about £50 back in 2002/3 when i got it, it was top of the line back then, for the number of tools you get it's worth the money

Dear lord! How easy do you find it to get the tools out? I'm forever borrowing people's knives and I found it really difficult to get anything out when I used a friend's swiss army knife. Maybe I was just doing it wrong.
Quote by Renka

Just get a balisong
Quote by slafoo
Lol I love the fact you use the word majestic to describe titties... it's as if there are hundreds of titties majestically frollocking in a meadow somewhere *drifts off*
"Also, does anyone know the size of the blade you can carry legally in the UK?!"

As far as I'm aware, blades of any length are illegal to be carried on your person. However, i think they are allowed to be carried in the boot of a car, and carried on you if you can prove what you may be using them for.
There's a special sex move I do called the Charizard.
It's where you light the girls pubes, then put it out with your cum and run around the room flapping your arms screaming, "You don't have enough badges to train me!"
I never knew UK had such strict laws.

Definitely the blast- Serrated blades make alot of simple tasks like cutting string and rope way easier.
Quote by King Twili
"Also, does anyone know the size of the blade you can carry legally in the UK?!"

As far as I'm aware, blades of any length are illegal to be carried on your person. However, i think they are allowed to be carried in the boot of a car, and carried on you if you can prove what you may be using them for.

Can carry under 3" non locking . Which makes things like the swiss army knife ok, and the Leatherman Squirt fine. But other multitools have locking blades.
Quote by Renka

Quote by OddOneOut
I'll have a look.

edit: Looking at one Gerber multitool, http://www.gerberuk.com/index.php/product/id/29 it's heavier than the Blast and has less tools. ANd whilst ballistic nylon sounds sexy, it won't be necessary.

IMO Gerber's tools are stronger than Leathermans.
Gear: Fender Custom 3 Pickup Telecaster, Fender American Std Telecaster ('10 3burst), Fender Kurt Cobain Jag, Gibson Les Paul Std ('97 Honeyburst), Orange Tiny Terror HW + PPC112, Marshall JCM-1H, Vox Night Train NT15H, Fender Champ 600.
Out of all the bits on my Leatherman, the bit I used most was the can/bottle opener.
Page 1 of 2