Hey guys, Really thinking about buying this guitar, but the information seems a little blunt on the description.

It's a black PRS CE24 from 1993. The description reads that it was Pre-factory, before PRS as a company took off, so this guitar is completely hand made. Can anyone shed some light on specifics? As in whether the build quality has changed from the 'pre factory' era and what differences the guitar will have from more modern Standard and custom guitars?

It's been fitted with an Emg 85/81 combo so the pickups don't really matter, Just curious as to the guitars and company's background.

Any help will be greatly appreciated

Cheers, Dave
OP, you've gotten some misinformation. PRS was already a big deal in the 90s - and the guitars were certainly built in a factory. A different factory than their current one though - they moved in 95 or 96 I think. That said, lots of good hand work is done in factories - being built in a factory ins't a bad thing.

As guitars go, those early CEs are some of my favorite PRSs. They're very aggressive sounding, and cover a lot of tonal range thanks to the rotary 5-way. Of course with EMGs the 5-way was probably replaced with a 3-way. One thing to watch out for is that some of them have very thin necks - thinner than I like. So be aware of that.

The big difference from a modern standard or custom is that CEs have bolt-in necks. It's a good neck joint. A '93 should also be made of alder rather than mahogany or mahogany/maple.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

“Life is on the wire…the rest is just waiting” - Papa Wallenda
Substitute the stage for the wire, and he's got it.
Last edited by Even Bigger D at Aug 10, 2010,
if it's legit is simply all made by hand as it's pre-cnc.

also, it should have a brazillian rosewood board and a smaller heel.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020
if it's legit is simply all made by hand as it's pre-cnc.

That's not really true - the old PRS factory used duplicarvers to route the bodies, which are basically just the analog equivalent of CNC. I seen 'em do it

And there's NOTHING wrong with a body or neck where the rough cut is done via either a CNC or duplicarver. What matters is what shape the wood ends up in, not what tools are used to get it there.

As far as the neck heel, it changed to be slightly longer on the 24 fret models in about '96 to eliminate the 12th fret G string dead spot that many 24 fret PRS with wide-thin necks had. That's something OP should check for when looking at this guitar. Overall the neck heel change was a very good thing.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

“Life is on the wire…the rest is just waiting” - Papa Wallenda
Substitute the stage for the wire, and he's got it.
Cheers for the replies!

Yeah it has a a 3 way instead of a 5. I think the seller had put his information across in a bad way, I'm sure PRS had been producing in factory's in the 90's and it turns out they were so I'm happy with that. I've read people saying the older CE's are better than the new models so I think I'm going to look into the deal more and hopefully Bag myself a new guitar!

Thank you all
Dave
And I'll definitely make sure to thoroughly check the guitar before i purchase, Cheers Bigger D
Quote by Even Bigger D
That's not really true - the old PRS factory used duplicarvers to route the bodies, which are basically just the analog equivalent of CNC. I seen 'em do it

And there's NOTHING wrong with a body or neck where the rough cut is done via either a CNC or duplicarver. What matters is what shape the wood ends up in, not what tools are used to get it there.

Jack didn't mention that on our tour. I was non-informed.

I agree on the method. I don't care who or what slaved to make me a sweet ax.

TS - post back with what you find out.

I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Well from my visited sources, the generally idea is that PRS moved factory in 95', the Maryland factory. Apparently Guitars from this point were a bit more consistent and better than those before it.

That doesn't mean however that the guitars before it were in any way bad, The 85 - 95 period resulted in loads of private stock models, both Artist III and IV, the Archtop and Hollowbody and the Pre-lawsuit Singlecut models. So basically i think here that the ideas we're being crafted and produced, and then the factory move was so that guitars were now being more precisely made and being made in bigger numbers.

The large heel wasn't a symbol of the the move in factories, that started appearing around 91' to offer a more stable connected between the neck and body.

The term 'Pre-factory' is technically before the 85 period, when the custom was introduced
Last edited by Davester000 at Aug 10, 2010,